New Member Introductions New to FTE? Introduce yourself here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Not new but back!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 08:22 AM
grpark20
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not new but back!

Hello all! I am not new, but it has been a while since I was here and active. In case I didn't do an intro back in the day, I am 32 years old serving in the United States Air Force and currently deployed for a year. I live in NJ but will be moving to CA when I return. I am back active in the forum to decide on the next truck purchase. I am a die hard Ford man so that is the base line. A little of history about me and vehicles. I have had 11 new vehicles in the 13 years I have been buying my own. Lets just say I was young and had a pocket full of money at the time. Now I am married and have a 5 year old and much more wise and responsible with my money....that is why I am here. Sit back, grab a beverage of choice and listen to this dilemma...

I intend to use the truck I plan to purchase as a daily driver, but can substitute with a beater as the vehicle I currently own is paid for and gets around 20 mpg. I am active and serious about my powersports. I have 2 ATVs and 1 motorcycle and ride all over the US. While in NJ I have traveled from coast to coast towing 6000 miles at a time and 18 hr spurts. Now that I will be on the west coast, all of my towing will limited to 2000 miles round trip 5 times a year max. At some point in the future I will be purchasing a toy hauler but will stay under 10,000 pounds loaded weight. What ever I decide to get at a minimum will be 4 door crew cab, leather, 6 foot bed, 4x4, under 100,000 miles and will get a leveling kit with 20 inch wheels on 35 inch tires. That is me and what the truck will be used for. Now for what I am looking at...

Choice 1 - 08-10 F250 or F350 with Triton V10
Choice 2 - 11-14 F250 or F350 with 6.2L V8
Choice 3 - 08-10 F250 or F350 with 6.4L Diesel
Choice 4 - 11-14 F250 or F350 with 6.7L Diesel

Those are the choices and I'd like to be at $25K and a no crap max price of $30K. Here is why I have the 4 choices.

With the V10, it is a gasser and will have a lower operating cost and I love the look of the 08-10 model Super Duty. I have no real world experience driving or towing with this set up. The best mpg it will get will be 13 mpg. Sure there are some that get blah blah blah mpg, but I am a realist. This will meet my needs. I am not interested in a half ton ecoboost or anything in the half ton range. With my experience most are a dog with my needs. Besides in my opinion putting 10,000 on a half ton is a white knuckle driving test regardless of limited towing needs. It's just not safe for me and I will have my family with me.

With the 6.2L V8, it is a gasser and will get the same 13 mpg at best. I owned a 2011 Lariat Limited with the 6.2L. Max was 13 mpg....nuh said. I towed 12,000 miles with this truck and loved the creature comforts inside. The towing was not as great as expected. I towed 5,000 pounds regularly and had air bags in the rear with 3.73 gears. The truck itself was heavy but towed the load well, but not much power left over for me. It would pull a 2-3% grade at 60 mph in 6th gear. The engine sounded amazing, but I parted with it when gas got to $5 per gallon and hated the fact it didn't have a low range 4x4. $150 fill ups every 9 days got old. This truck was close to perfect, had I kept and re-geared to 4.10 I could have settled. This year model also got the full center console with captains chairs option which I like.

With the 6.4L diesel, I have no experience, but am absolutely terrified of repair cost due to most require a cab off repair and general higher price....$2-3K fuel system repair for example. I also cannot and will not chip, tune, delete, mod, etc. any of the diesels due to emissions. I must pass and don't want to deal with the bs involved with trying to pass. The diesel will tow like a dream so I am told but will come with a price. Best mpg will be 13 mpg...remember I will not mod and factor in the regeneration DFP crap.

With the 6.7L diesel, I have the same concerns with repairs but they require less cab off repairs. Max mpg will be 15 mpg due to Ford addressing the DFP poor mileage. I like the interior on these as they are available with the full center console and captains chairs.

So there it is. My biggest concerns are I know nothing about diesel and a repair on one could cost as much as a gasser engine replacement. The gassers are good but I have no clue to the real experience with them and my towing when I get a toy hauler. The toy hauler will be a bumper pull if that matters.This vehicle will need to last me 6 years and meet my needs and a few of my wants. I look forward to hearing your opinions or anything I may have missed. Thanks.

George

Last edited by grpark20; 08-26-2016 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-26-2016, 10:29 AM
Diamnd1
Laughing Gas
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
edit......

Old 12-15-2016, 10:45 AM
Destroked 450
Cargo Master
Received 130 Likes on 105 Posts
Edit: Just seen you have another thread on this subject in 99-16 SD section