1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Auto choke

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 07:09 PM
Johno.h
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Auto choke

Hi guys my 351 C automatic choke stopped working randomly, worked fine the other day but for some reason it's not working today, on cold start it started and barely idled at 300rpm, so I cranked up the idle screw up to 1000rpm so the thing doesn't stall, can anyone help? Thankyou

Old 08-24-2016, 04:56 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,679 Likes on 1,356 Posts
The choke is fairly complex and can be hard to get right, especially since you can only work on it in the morning for some problems.

The next morning before you start it, take the aircleaner off, go in and stomp the gas pedal once all the way to the floor.

Go back out and look at the choke door on top of the carb. It should be completely shut. If it's not, loosen the round black plastic thing on the pass side of the carb and twist it till the choke door shuts. I would mark the black thing first before moving it. The go in and stomp it one more time and then crank it up and see if it runs better and faster.

Old 09-01-2016, 05:37 AM
Johno.h
Senior User
Still can't get my choke to work ****en pain in the ****

Old 09-01-2016, 10:32 AM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
If you just come here complaining you can't get something to work, you're most likely going to be ignored.

Franklin already gave you an explicit procedure to try out; did you do what he suggested? Do you see what he says you should see? What were the results of his actions?

Read through these:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...-answered.html
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ent-101-a.html

Once you read & understand what you're getting yourself into and can talk at least semi-intelligently about your problems, then come back here and give us something useful to help you with... what, exactly, are the symptoms (pictures are good)? What have you tried to adjust, and what were the results?

Merely whining that you can't get something to work isn't going to help you, most people here aren't going to spend their time on something like that.

Old 09-01-2016, 12:52 PM
1986F150six
Lead Driver
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Old 09-04-2016, 05:34 AM
Johno.h
Senior User
Okay so tomorrow I will get some pictures and try to put a voltmeter on the electric choke assist to make sure it's getting around 7 volts what's next step after that

Old 09-04-2016, 05:35 AM
Johno.h
Senior User
And when I take the choke cap off and twist it till the choke shuts, which way do I twist it? Clockwise or anti clockwise

Old 09-04-2016, 07:45 AM
Franklin2
Don't take it off, just loosen it. If it doesn't have screws but rivets, then the carb has never been rebuilt and it's locked by the factory setting.

If you can loosen it, reach around and hold the throttle open(engine off) and while holding it open, turn the black round piece, you will see the choke door move. If it doesn't move, you have more serious problems.

7 volts on the choke helps open the choke. If your choke is closed and won't open, then it will run rich and blow black smoke. Sounds like you do not have enough choke from your first post, I would skip checking for voltage for now.

Old 09-05-2016, 05:09 PM
Johno.h
Senior User
So should I just turn the black cap clockwise till it lines up with the next bolts?

Old 09-05-2016, 05:11 PM
Johno.h
Senior User
I'm just not sure which way to turn it to tighten the choke spring

Old 09-05-2016, 08:44 PM
Franklin2
Originally Posted by Johno.h
I'm just not sure which way to turn it to tighten the choke spring
Like I said, loosen the screws so you can turn it, hold the throttle open, and turn it. If you turn it the wrong way, the choke door will open more. That's when you say "whoops!" and turn it the other way till the door closes. Just make sure you are doing this in the morning after it has set all night.

Apparently you checked and the door is not shut all the way in the morning after you hit the pedal once?

Old 09-07-2016, 10:43 PM
SwampFox112
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sometimes it pays to pay someone who knows what they are doing........ Myself, when my electric choke was acting up I did what any shadetree mechanic would do, I threw the son of a bitch away and installed a manual choke setup... fixed!

Old 09-07-2016, 11:28 PM
WhatsAChevy?
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SwampFox112
Sometimes it pays to pay someone who knows what they are doing........ Myself, when my electric choke was acting up I did what any shadetree mechanic would do, I threw the son of a bitch away and installed a manual choke setup... fixed!
AMEN Brother ! Can I get a Hallelujah ?!

Old 09-08-2016, 01:47 PM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
LOL!

I got so sick and tired of how finicky the electric choke was on my new carb I did the same thing. I never looked back. Especially when I can go most of the year without using the choke and it fires right up like it was on.

Old 09-09-2016, 09:58 AM
LARIAT 85
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by FordFETruck
LOL!

I got so sick and tired of how finicky the electric choke was on my new carb I did the same thing. I never looked back. Especially when I can go most of the year without using the choke and it fires right up like it was on.
Really? My automatic choke works great.

What "new carb" did you purchase? And was the choke fully electric, thermostatic, or...?

Quick Reply: Auto choke