2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

CDL for F-350 SRW?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 11:20 AM
Highjumper
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CDL for F-350 SRW?

I have never had occasion to worry about a CDL (or similar state classification) with my trucks because their GCWR was less than 26,001lbs. I just realized that the new GCWR for a F-350 SRW will exceed that number.

As such, my state (like many) require a CDL (or similar classification) if towing a trailer with a GVWR of 10,000lbs. While I mostly tow a 5th wheel RV and can get an exemption classification, I occasionally hook up to a gooseneck and now will need a CDL.

Perhaps an F-250 is a better option as it has the same GCWR as my current F-350 (and can be even higher with the camper package). Has anyone else thought through this, or am I just slow to the party?

Old 08-22-2016, 11:30 AM
foozlemonster
Senior User
I'm pretty sure in Texas (not sure what your state is), it's not about what you can tow, but rather what the scales say when you roll across them.

Old 08-22-2016, 11:34 AM
Highjumper
Senior User
Originally Posted by foozlemonster
I'm pretty sure in Texas (not sure what your state is), it's not about what you can tow, but rather what the scales say when you roll across them.
I believe that in many, if not most, states it is based solely on the ratings, no matter the actual weight. God bless Texas!

Old 08-22-2016, 11:44 AM
PwerStroke99
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
It depends on the state, is my guess

Old 08-22-2016, 11:47 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Highjumper
I believe that in many, if not most, states it is based solely on the ratings, no matter the actual weight. God bless Texas!
This is from the NY manual. (And Farm plates are only good up to 25 miles from the registered farm) (pertaining to other posts)

When do I need a New York CDL?

You need a CDL to drive a commercial motor vehicle (CMV), which is defined as:
  • Class A: A gross combination weight rating is 26,001 lbs. or more or a trailer with a GVWR of more than 10,000 lbs.
  • Class B: A single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,001 lbs. or more
  • Class C: A vehicle designed to transport 16 passengers or more, including the driver, or a vehicle defined as a bus or any vehicle that requires hazardous materials placards
You can obtain a Class A, Class B, or Class C commercial license, depending on the type of vehicle you will be driving. If you drive a CMV without a commercial license, you could go to jail or incur a court fine.
When am I exempt from needing a CDL?

Not all large vehicles require a commercial license. Generally, RVs driven for personal or family recreation, military vehicles driven by the military, farm vehicles driven on farms by farmers, and emergency vehicles driven by emergency personnel are exempt (see section 1 of the New York State Commercial Driver's Manual for specifics).

Old 08-22-2016, 12:22 PM
Highjumper
Senior User
Thanks Rasalas. I believe many states use that exact same language (models the fed language). So yes, in those states you will need a Class A license to drive a 2017 F-350 SRW while towing a 10,000+ lbs. trailer (unless some exemption applies, such as an RV exemption). Good information to know before a you miss a port of entry or get pulled over using all that new torque! lol

Old 08-22-2016, 01:17 PM
brdcrtr
New User
How does it work when traveling across state lines? In NM, my home state, I need a class E license (just a form stating you won't use the vehicle for commercial) when towing over 26,001 pounds.

What about when I start pulling my 5th wheel to TX, AZ, etc? Do I need to be licensed how those states require it?

Old 08-22-2016, 01:28 PM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Typically you won't need a CDL for your stated setup. CLD requirements typically start at 26001# (based on federal requirements). Where the confusion often comes into play is the requirement for federal registration on vehicles with GVWR or CVWR over 10k, which an F350 typically falls under. You don't need a CDL for such a vehicle, but you would need to do a federal commercial registration AND have up to date medical cards on you. BUT, HOWEVER, IMPORTANT, you wouldn't need to fulfill this requirement if you aren't using the vehicle commercially. So if you're towing your self sponsored race car or horses or travel trailer you're fine. If you are hauling for the boy scouts, or someone is paying you to move stuff, or advertising on your race car it gets a bit gray (well, it's full commercial if you read the letter of the law, it's a matter of enforcement). Even if you do haul commercial, if you stay within your own state, you may still not need to do all that. In PA if you are under 17k and staying in the state you would be good. Popular combos include an F250 with 10k trailer or F450 with 10k trailer to stay under various guidelines for commercial use. If a trailer is 10k or less it doesn't need to be registered in combination which often pushes the truck into the next category. I see lots of landscape guys buy 12 and 14k trailers because the cost isn't much higher not realizing the extra paperwork and scrutiny they've put themselves in.

Old 08-22-2016, 01:44 PM
brdcrtr
New User
So if I understand none of the CDL really applies when I get an F350 with a toy hauler that might be over 10k GVWR because it's private use. (Outside of NM law where I believe I have to get class E license to state I won't use it for commercial).

It's confusing because I read in California you do need to do driving test, etc. to prove you can back into a camp spot if you're over a certain weight. But I've also read if you're legal in your registered state then you're legal traveling through California.

I bought my F150 in 2013 with the idea I'd just do an SxS on a trailer but now I'm tired of packing the tent back up in the rain and kids will soon want to ride their own bikes or quads so I figured I'd go all the way with a new truck, short of the DRW.

Old 08-22-2016, 01:47 PM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Frantz
Typically you won't need a CDL for your stated setup. CLD requirements typically start at 26001# (based on federal requirements).
And a lot of gray area indeed. I cannot go out a buy a 10 wheel W-900 Kenworth and call it my personal vehicle and exempt myself from a CDL even if the rig only weighs 15,900 lbs without a trailer. Put a camper on it and I am OK. And as much as I dislike regulation, and as much as I do not want to over burden others with requirements I feel there does need to be a limit to whom is allowed on the highway driven by many who shouldn't even be driving a car. And these would be the idiots who threaten yours and my lives everytime they enter the highway. Most are fine and overly cautious with a vehicle they don't know how to control or understand. Many are not only a menace but a danger as well.

Old 08-22-2016, 01:49 PM
invstr55
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My understanding if you are not commercial and are legal in your home state then you are good in other states regardless of their laws..We travel the nation with a 26.5k 5th wheel and have never been stopped or questioned..

Old 08-22-2016, 03:08 PM
foozlemonster
Senior User
I was actually wrong. TX is worded the same way. I find that ridiculous.

Old 08-22-2016, 03:32 PM
cpdorroh
Elder User
This seems to be one of those things where if you ask 10 people, you will get 10 different answers. I've been considering getting a gooseneck for my ordered F350 SRW at some point and have had questions about CDL requirements as well. I called the KY Transportation Cabinet for some clarification, spoke with 2 different individuals, and got 2 different answers. There's definitely a lot of grey area, and I believe this is an example of where the laws have not kept up with the technology/capabilities of modern vehicles. I don't claim to be an expert on the matter, but my basic understanding has been this:

If GVWR Truck + GVWR trailer = 26,001 lbs or more, you technically need a CDL.

Old 08-22-2016, 04:52 PM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,631 Likes on 1,644 Posts
If I understand things correctly, there are some states that issue a non-commercial Class A drivers license for towing things like the big gooseneck trailers. One would be wise to find out if your state of residence is one of those states.
I don't know of any state that has special requirement for towing an RV.
RV's seem to fall into a different category than gooseneck trailer for some reason!!
Now, when I was a resident of North Dakota, as long as I was using my gooseneck for personal, non-commercial use, there were no special requirements, weight limits. (Other than the rating of the equipment), or anything.
Here in Arizona, if one licenses the trailer for more than 10,000 lb. one must put a commercial plate on it, and that might open up a whole new game.

I wish all states would conform to a standard, and eliminate the confusion.

Old 08-22-2016, 05:24 PM
2009kr
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
In MD, you need a class A (vs the normal class C) if your combined GVWR > 26000# or you are towing a commercial trailer. If you're towing a camper trailer, you can have a non-commercial class A if your rig is over 26000#. If your rig is over 26000# or your trailer is commercial (which is a non-camper over 10,000#), you need a class A CDL.

Quick Reply: CDL for F-350 SRW?