2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

3" ball mounts on the way?!?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 08:44 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I starting to sound like a Weigh Safe cheerleader but I'm there again. Aluminum vs steel. I have to think that a 3 inch shank on a B&W adjustable is pretty heavy. Not that that is a problem for me... but other people might find it heavy. I never leave my hitch in when not in use. It gets wiped down and goes under the back seat next to the recovery strap, jumper cables, air hoses, gooseneck ball, rain gear, fire extinguisher, etc.

Old 11-03-2016, 08:46 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,198 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
I starting to sound like a Weigh Safe cheerleader but I'm there again. Aluminum vs steel. I have to think that a 3 inch shank on a B&W adjustable is pretty heavy. Not that that is a problem for me... but other people might find it heavy. I never leave my hitch in when not in use. It gets wiped down and goes under the back seat next to the recovery strap, jumper cables, air hoses, gooseneck ball, rain gear, fire extinguisher, etc.

Agree on all fronts.

Old 11-03-2016, 08:48 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,693 Likes on 2,750 Posts
Originally Posted by dadz34
I too own a 2.5" DT which I purchased in 2013. It's laying in the trash corner of my shop as the lock broke on the vertical adjuster and the Fastway tech told me "yeah, we've seen a lot of those fail due to a bad design". He added they "won't honor the warranty but would gladly replace it for $250". Needless to say I've bought my last hitch from them.
I have a similar DT ball mount. The lock mechanism can be difficult at times. I sure hope it doesn't give up the ghost when the ball mount is on the truck.

Old 11-03-2016, 09:09 PM
dadz34
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HRTKD
I have a similar DT ball mount. The lock mechanism can be difficult at times. I sure hope it doesn't give up the ghost when the ball mount is on the truck.
Definitely keep it lubricated with graphite. The vertical lock is what broke on mine but I did have to get physical to release the 2.5" hitch when removing it. The tumbler inside the lock wouldn't turn enough to allow the key access to insert index point. I had to grind that off in order to get it inside the tumbler. I was then able to release it but it destroyed the tumbler in the process.

I will definitely look forward to hearing from others about this new one on the market.

Old 11-03-2016, 09:45 PM
Kenv
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by EpicCowlick

Good points...but they do not have a 3" shaft B&W out to even see how heavy it would be. But I tell you what.....you are correct in that the 2 1/2 is one heavy beast to be putting in and out all the time. Honestly....on my last truck I left it in to hook my garbage can on the ball two times week to pull it up my driveway from the street when I get home from work....lol. About 200 foot driveway. I'll probably store the B&W like you do under the seat when not towing and make the kids pull the can and get the mail at the same time

Old 11-04-2016, 12:30 AM
LEDman
Senior User
I spoke to Weigh Safe this evening again, and they confirmed that they will be pumping them out next week. I am looking forward to getting my 8 inch adjustable. Just hope they will have a locking pin that will fit. It would be nice to have both adjustable lock, and the hitch pin lock keyed alike.

Braxton

Old 11-04-2016, 12:36 AM
Kenv
Posting Guru
LED...if you can't find a lock, I mentioned this one above that I picked up yesterday: brand is Trimax T-5 Extended 5/8" SSCLS 345 - comes with 2 keys Price $24.99. Fits the 3" receiver perfect. I got it with the hitch at a place called Truckfitters...which was formally Ranch Hand in Boerne Texas. Website is Truckfitters.com. I looked for that model on the Trimax website...but don't see it there.

You probably can't do the double matching key thing with this one...but it does come with two keys and is an option if Weigh Safe doesn't have one yet to fit the 3" shaft.

Old 11-04-2016, 05:43 AM
Xwild
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How well do the weigh-safe locks take the salt and crud of the northern climates? Do they have a cap that actually stays in place?

Old 11-04-2016, 06:01 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Xwild
How well do the weigh-safe locks take the salt and crud of the northern climates? Do they have a cap that actually stays in place?
Ted, I emailed them back in the early summer about these issues and they responded. I am thinking they would be ok if not left out in the elements for long periods. I am also thinking I will not be getting the scale but only the 10" drop and 180 ball.

Old 11-04-2016, 06:45 AM
HouseMouse
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll also be getting the 180... non-scale. Not exactly sure of the drop yet.... Hoping to get that sorted out today.

Old 11-04-2016, 08:06 AM
LEDman
Senior User
Originally Posted by Kenv
LED...if you can't find a lock, I mentioned this one above that I picked up yesterday: brand is Trimax T-5 Extended 5/8" SSCLS 345 - comes with 2 keys Price $24.99. Fits the 3" receiver perfect. I got it with the hitch at a place called Truckfitters...which was formally Ranch Hand in Boerne Texas. Website is Truckfitters.com. I looked for that model on the Trimax website...but don't see it there.

You probably can't do the double matching key thing with this one...but it does come with two keys and is an option if Weigh Safe doesn't have one yet to fit the 3" shaft.

Old 11-04-2016, 06:48 PM
Xwild
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Rasalas -
Cool. Of course, the only non-gooseneck trailer I have is my snowmobile trailer.. so the only conditions it HAS to live in, are the nasty ones.. Guess a regular cleaning and WD-40 coating will help with that.

I wasn't planning on getting the scale one either.

Old 11-10-2016, 02:53 PM
Force74
Senior User
Got an update from Weigh Safe.....see below.

There was a slight delay, but the 3" shank should beavailable within the next two weeks. I will put you on our email list toemail you when that is available.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Thankyou!

Old 11-10-2016, 04:24 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,198 Likes on 573 Posts
Thanks for the update. I guess I'll go with the 10" when it's available. Can anyone see a reason not to go with the most drop? It gives the most adjustability without any negatives that I can see.

Old 11-10-2016, 04:28 PM
LEDman
Senior User
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
Thanks for the update. I guess I'll go with the 10" when it's available. Can anyone see a reason not to go with the most drop? It gives the most adjustability without any negatives that I can see.
according to the sales team I just spoke to, the 10" is available right now and they are waiting on the 6-8" in two weeks.

You can call them and tell them Braxton said it was available.

Also, do you have any concerns about the 10 being too long? grounding out on a bump? That's my hesitation.

Quick Reply: 3" ball mounts on the way?!?