6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Questions about delete

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 01:02 AM
94ruck
Mountain Pass
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Questions about delete

I am tossing this idea around about deleting. I pull a mid size trailer some and do a lot of road miles empty or light loaded.
I am tired of the regen and filling the DEF and the DEF fault i had last spring got me to thinking.
i don't want a hot rod, I don't want to roll coal. In fact, i could de tune mine slightly and be happy if it increased the mileage.

so,
My questions:
what happens with the 9nth injector after the exhaust is removed
what happens to the def injector?
How difficult is it to remove the egr and cooler and re route the coolant lines and bleed the cooling system? I looked on line but couldn't find any videos on this one.
i saw several videos on removing the dpf/exhaust and they show how to disconnect everything but not how they capped or tied the loose ends up.
Would it be possible to get 1 tune installed including the delete tune and not have to purchase a tuner?
Just random thoughts on doing the project myself and not breaking the bank. i want to test the emissions before and after for giggles to see how much difference there is.

thoughts?
I have had my truck almost 2 years and only have 27K on it. i am planning on keeping it a long time.

Old 08-17-2016, 02:43 AM
cappa
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford's don't use a 9th injector. They inject extra fuel on the exhaust stroke.

Old 08-17-2016, 03:48 AM
94ruck
Mountain Pass
well, there ya go. No wonder it kills the fuel mileage! So, i am assuming the tuners eliminate that process along with the def injection and reading of the egt sensors located in the dpf? I sure dont want to fight any codes. i wonder if I should just break down and buy the tuner and the exhaust and perform that task first, then go after the egr/cooler?

Old 08-17-2016, 04:22 AM
cappa
Senior User
Easy way to delete the egr is just to install blocker plates. The only thing you gain by doing a full egr removal is some room under the hood. Yes tuners eliminate the regen process as well as any codes thrown by not having the sensors in the exhaust. Delete pipe just replaces the section with the dpf and sensors.

Old 09-21-2016, 05:03 PM
94ruck
Mountain Pass
OK, Parts ordered Monday and should be in by Friday. Flo Pro with Muffler, SCT tuner and Rudys EGR delete package. Happy with the pricing and anxious to get started, I have the dpf system mentally off and the new exhaust will be no big deal. However, I do not have my mind prepped for the EGR process.
First,
Can I just disconnect the wiring and vacuum lines after I do the programming?
How hard is it to just install block off plates compared to full cooler removal?
I am planning on keeping the truck as I have the ones in my past for up to 10 years BUT would like the option of reinstalling the components if necessary. Is it really a big deal to pull the cooler and install the hose?
I am mechanically competent. Just trying to be prepared for the task before I dig into it. I do have back up vehicles in case it takes longer than expected but I have planned to do this over the weekend...

Old 09-21-2016, 09:16 PM
cappa
Senior User
Block off plates might take 10 min to install if you take your time. Soak the bolts as much as possible with your choice of penetrating oil as soon as possible as ppl have snapped the manifold egr pipe bolt off and made allot more work than necessary. Just be careful with them. Use some anti-sieze when installing the plates. The only thing you gain with a full egr delete is more room under the hood and a little less weight.

Old 09-22-2016, 07:48 AM
PlayersZ28
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm headed in the same direction. Planning to use a FloPro delete pipe and leave the rest of the exhaust. I'd prefer a block off for the EGR so it looks stock under the hood but was thinking about the FloPro delete kit. Easier to just get all FloPro up here in Canada as the jobber I buy from carries it although currently out of stock so I'll check again next week. I have the H&S to handle the tune.

Old 09-22-2016, 07:54 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,024 Likes on 2,203 Posts
make sure the engine is cold and thoroughly soaked in penetrating oil. WD-40 is not penetrating oil.

Old 09-22-2016, 11:55 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Neither is KY, in this use case at least.

I like PB Blaster.

Old 09-23-2016, 01:14 AM
94ruck
Mountain Pass
PB blaster works, so does cdc. I actually dreamed about this and saw the disassembly in my head. The things I cannot picture is the coolant lines from the EGR cooler back to the reservoir. I see taking the passenger side wheel wheel out helps with coolant line and bolt removal. It appears I need to drain the secondary coolant down to below the level of the gr cooler to avoid loss.
Do I need to drain any of the main radiator coolant?
also, do the block of plates need and come with gaskets. i am hoping my kit comes in Friday...I purchased the egr delete kit and not simply the block off plates. I do plan to hang on to the truck but want the stuff available for reinstall in case things change in the future. Right now, Texas is easy to deal with but things change. I do know what my 6.0 egr looked like at 75 k when i cleaned it and at 100 k when i deleted it. Not looking to put any more crap in my 6.7 engine.

Old 09-23-2016, 02:28 AM
EDC8008
Fleet Mechanic
Received 359 Likes on 131 Posts
I use gallons of Kroil at my job and love the stuff. Patience will be a virtue and don't be afraid if it starts to really bind up go back in tightening direction for a half to full turn the back to loosen. Seen that trick work wonders as it'll clean some of the crud out of the threads.

Old 09-23-2016, 02:54 AM
94ruck
Mountain Pass
Yes, Kroil makes the job easy and have used it on printing press repairs for years

Old 09-23-2016, 02:09 PM
PlayersZ28
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm thinking I'll do the block off plates and unplug the EGR vs doing a full delete. I have to get emissions tested every two years and I don't think I'd want to be putting the cooler back in again. Easier to just remove the plates and re-enable it.

Thoughts?

Old 09-23-2016, 09:06 PM
94ruck
Mountain Pass
Now that I have the kit, I am thinking the same thing. I need the other plates for the block off. I have installed the program on my truck, Unplugged the egr and removing the exhaust in the morning( I work nights). I am going to drain my def, remove the downpipe back and install my flo pro. I am going to grease the electrical connections and cover them with rubbers gloves and tie them under the truck nice and neat. Should I rinse the def tank( it is a little under half full). I am planning to drive it until I get the other block off plates. I have used power blaster on the bolts and going to do that a few times before removal. I dont thing removing the egr is that big of a deal but also thinking about the reinstall...
I dont want to drive it long with just the egr unplugged. I do want to install the plates in the next week or so.
I am also open to any thoughts. I dont need the room under the hood as I am not in there much...lol

Old 09-25-2016, 08:08 PM
94ruck
Mountain Pass
OK, I pulled the rocket ship and tail pipes off the truck and replaced with flow pro. My truck is a 15 model and there were more the a few sensors to unplug. I used rubber gloves to wrap the connectors up and then taped the and tied them out of the way. I have not( nor know how , yet) drained the DEF tank. My next step in this project is to order the blocker plates as I decided against removing the cooler. The program took 10 minutes or so. The programmer was very easy to use and already updated for my truck. I also changed the tire size as I put the big tires back on and tried to get rid of the tpms warning by turning the reading to 0 but it still warns me and the tpms light comes on. No other codes, lights or warnings. I have driven this truck about 120 miles in city driving and the computer shows 15.3 mpg with the big tires which is 3 mpg better than I got before when I hand calculated. I will get around 18 highway with the stock tires( and stock tire programming) with the regens running with just dirt bikes in the back. I am a happy camper!
The exhaust job took me 3 hours start to finish. took just a few minutes to pull the plugs on the EGR and spray penetrating oil on the egr/exhaust short pipes..

Quick Reply: Questions about delete