2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Getting Excited...and a Suspension ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 02:23 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Blk04Snake
Actually on the '05+ Super Duty there is a shim in the upper ball joint so caster and camber is adjustable to a certain degree.
I am glad to hear the manufacturer is including adjustable components now.

I had my time when the 4 in lift and monster mudder tires were the most important items on my truck ('78 F350) and I understand tuning the vehicle for individual taste. But that '78 did not cost anywhere near what these cost today even adjusted for inflation. Nor did that truck have the engineering and systems. This is not meant to criticize the priority of having the truck sit level in the driveway but I use my truck. It sits level when I put weight in it. Currently I have on board air and air bags to keep it level with my 3500 pound camper. I guess my priority has changed to having a tool which works the best that it can from having a toy that is the prettiest on the block. But please don't let me diminish your desires and lust for the perfect look. It is just a difference in wants and needs. And they all look pretty grand when set up right.

Old 08-17-2016, 05:42 AM
AK_SuperDuty
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
If you have to ask, you'll never understand. It makes perfect sense. You modify a perfectly tuned truck and change it so it LOOKS good. First, you sell your brand new Michelins and replace them with Toyos. Then you drop a few hundred to raise the front end, and spend a few hundred more to fix it. Next, you get a box from Amason with your new airbags so you can re-level your back end when towing. All so that when you walk away from your truck and look back over your shoulder you think, "That's cool." Totally worth it. To us young people...

The old guy in me knows that I also need the off road performance tires quite often and the airbags will significantly improve my towing stability and capacity. And it looks good...
I disagree. Level pickups look weak. The steeper the rake, the more ready she looks. I love the higher back end. And Toyos don't cut it in the land of the midnight sun. Neither do michelins. We need real snow tires here.

Old 08-17-2016, 05:59 AM
charlesweaver3
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This will be one of my first additions.

Old 08-17-2016, 08:37 AM
dh1200
Senior User
If you have any doubts about messing with the front end, you could drop the rear a little with a size smaller block. Ive seen people do this with f150s but it looked to low like a 2x4, but these new sd sit high enough to where it would still look good.

Old 08-18-2016, 11:38 AM
Demo-man
Senior User
I'll be storing my 17 until suspension lifts are out. I have lifted over 15 trucks, it's not cheap to do right. Expect to drop 5-8k to do it right. I have also had the death wobble on a few and solved it. People love to run their mouths on the net about what/how to fix it. If you cant afford to do it right, or cant afford to drop more cash into the truck to fix it when it happens, don't do it.

All quality suspension companies don't have their systems out yet.

Old 08-18-2016, 02:26 PM
EightySecond
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Demo-man
I'll be storing my 17 until suspension lifts are out. I have lifted over 15 trucks, it's not cheap to do right. Expect to drop 5-8k to do it right. I have also had the death wobble on a few and solved it. People love to run their mouths on the net about what/how to fix it. If you cant afford to do it right, or cant afford to drop more cash into the truck to fix it when it happens, don't do it.

All quality suspension companies don't have their systems out yet.

What companies land on your top 5 list?

Old 08-18-2016, 02:35 PM
Demo-man
Senior User
Hard to come up with 5, but here are the best I found and tested:

Carli - But, these are not cheap. Basic systems will run at least 3k. Mine will be around 9k. I will be doing the coil overs and res shocks.

Icon - Had great luck with these. I paid 4k for their stage 3, 5" lift on my 15. Not a coil over system, but did have 3" res shocks.

Have to realize that if your dropping 60-70k on a truck, you can afford a good system. If you have a used truck worth 25k, then by all means by a less quality system.

Per my discussions with both of the above, they are simply going to check the new frame out, and their 16 systems should only require some minor tweaking.

Old 08-18-2016, 04:23 PM
archerseven
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How hard would it be to bring these trucks back down a couple inches?

Old 08-18-2016, 04:36 PM
PFG
Senior User
Expect to drop 5-8k to do it right
Full on suspension system, maybe.

Leveling kit, no way, unless you are counting new wheels and tires as part of a 5-8k leveling kit.

Old 08-18-2016, 05:09 PM
PwerStroke99
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I will be doing a leveling kit also, but I will be waiting til they come out and make sure the kits are right. You can spend a few hundred on a good kit. I prefer a leveled truck as I don't like the looks of the rake on the new trucks.

Old 08-19-2016, 07:33 AM
Demo-man
Senior User
PFG - Not the same thing. Yes, level kits are under a grand, but they are not suspension systems.

Archer - Not sure I understand. But, to drop it back down is typically about $400-750 in labor. More or less just take the system off and reinstall OEM parts removed.

Old 08-19-2016, 02:20 PM
archerseven
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Demo-man
PFG - Not the same thing. Yes, level kits are under a grand, but they are not suspension systems.

Archer - Not sure I understand. But, to drop it back down is typically about $400-750 in labor. More or less just take the system off and reinstall OEM parts removed.
Sorry.... these trucks are a couple inches taller than the outgoing trucks. I'd like it to be a few inches shorter.

Old 08-19-2016, 02:50 PM
dh1200
Senior User
Originally Posted by archerseven
Sorry.... these trucks are a couple inches taller than the outgoing trucks. I'd like it to be a few inches shorter.
Just put a shorter block for the rear which is fairly simple. For the front, im guessing shorter springs, but im not sure.

Old 08-19-2016, 03:42 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,198 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by archerseven
Either a 3" suspension block from a DRW or a 2" from a 2x4. (I'm guessing on the second one as I'm not sure there will be 2" blocks on the 2x4 but it seems logical.)

Old 08-19-2016, 04:29 PM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dh1200
Just put a shorter block for the rear which is fairly simple. For the front, im guessing shorter springs, but im not sure.
That would be a custom spring. All the different weight springs are the same length.

Quick Reply: Getting Excited...and a Suspension ?