Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who's The Culprit? Tie Rods, Steering box, or both?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 01:14 PM
AKHunter93
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Who's The Culprit? Tie Rods, Steering box, or both?

I'd like to apologize ahead of time for the lengthy post

Alright, so I've posted about it a couple times in the past month or so, but I'm still chasing a clunking noise in the front end of my truck. It only happens at low speeds, on bumpy roads, while turning. For example, backing out of my dirt driveway, or turning in to the pot-hole covered driveway of my favorite coffee shop. It's a clunking noise; about the best I can describe it. As best I can tell, it seems to be coming from the driver's side. Logically, I could see how that jarring of the tires and loose tie rods could make that "clunking" noise.

At first, I dismissed the tie rod ends as a possible culprit because when I replaced the driver's side axle shaft u-joint a week or so back, I could not move the steering knuckle side to side. This was with the passenger side tire on the ground.

But I got to thinking, maybe I need more leverage than I was able to get on that knuckle. Also, I read that tie rod ends should be checked in this manner with BOTH tires in the air. So I jacked up the truck yesterday, and pushed at 9 and 3 on the tire. Sure as ****, there's got to be 1/2"-3/4" of play.

However, the steering wheel also moves when the tires are worked back and forth. I've known for as long as I've owned the truck that the steering box is worn; there's not a ton of play in the steering wheel, but there's some. This was further confirmed awhile back by turning the steering wheel with the truck on the ground, just within the "free play" zone and observing which parts under the truck were moving.

Occasionally I'll feel a slight rumble in the steering while while going down the road, but that could be either the steering box or the tie rods, so that's not conclusive in itself.

I tried greasing all the tie rods, hoping that that would at least temporarily allay the symptoms if they were in fact bad, but there was no change. However, there is some play in them. I can't seem to move them back and forth, as in toward the passenger side and then back to the driver's side. But I can grab the tie rod and twist it, and it moves. The driver's side (shorter tie rod) moves more than the passenger side. To an extent, I can see how it should be able to do this, given the design of the ball joint. However, I have a reference in my father's 2000 F-350, and his tie rods don't budge.

I know the steering box is worn, but it's been worn for as long as I've owned the truck and this issue just recently cropped up. I'm looking at about $350 for a new Redhead steering box, or $300 for a new set of Moog tie rods from the local auto parts store I trust (and that's with my good guy discount, about $50 off) and that's for the full set, and maybe they don't ALL need replacing, I don't know.

Combine that with a $150 alignment cost if either the steering box or the tie rods are replaced, and I'm facing a potentially hefty repair bill. I want to get it fixed, but I don't want to spend more money than necessary to do it.

Is there any way I can further isolate the issue? What would you guys do?

Old 08-13-2016, 04:19 PM
AKHunter93
Elder User
Bump anyone?

Old 08-13-2016, 06:49 PM
whisler
Laughing Gas
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
You can get a pretty good price on Moog tie rod ends from Rock Auto. Might check and see if their prices are better. My alignment was $99. ('89 F250 4x4)

Old 08-13-2016, 06:59 PM
AKHunter93
Elder User
Thanks for the tip; just checked Rock Auto and their prices are WAY better. Even with shipping to AK I should come out ahead.

Shops charge what they charge. Around here, it's $150 for an alignment. Unless I want to make the 5 hour trek to the city, then I could get it done for about $100.

Old 08-13-2016, 07:36 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
The clunk is probably from a tie rod end "rolling". This is where the tie rod tilts back and forth as it is being moved right/left instead of pivoting smoothly in a semi-circle. Cheap tie rod ends are known for this. I encountered this on my truck with a brand new brand-X end. Took me and my friend several days to find it and when we saw it do it, it was very obvious what was happening. Others here in the forum have experienced this also.

Old 08-13-2016, 08:01 PM
AKHunter93
Elder User
Interesting. I just watched a quick YouTube video on it. I'll go out and watch the tie rods and see if I can catch something like that happening, but if that were my issue, you'd think it would be noticeable whenever I turn, not just in the specific instance I described.

Or maybe it is happening and I'm just not noticing?

Old 08-13-2016, 08:27 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
Mine didn't do it with every turn of the wheel, just in specific instances like you described. Once I figured out what it was doing, I could get it to do it pretty much at will.

Old 08-13-2016, 08:29 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
On a side note, after I ditched the TTB front end and went with a D60 I never had any more trouble. I'm not sure if that really had anything to do with it, but just sayin'..........

Old 08-13-2016, 08:41 PM
AKHunter93
Elder User
Well if yours was a specific instance thing too, then it's quite possible the same trouble I'm having.

As to the D60 versus TTB debate, yes the monobeam is superior in many ways. But the TTB is still more than sufficient for 99% of what 99% of truck owners do. If I had an extra grand I was itching to spend and had no obligations to take care of, I'd do the swap. But right now the TTB isn't causing any problems beyond normal wear and tear stuff, and I have more important things that need money directed to them.

Old 08-13-2016, 08:52 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
I actually lucked into my D60 so I didn't end up with a ton of money in the swap. My TTB was simply beat to death so even the new parts that I put in it wore out quickly. I was going to have to spend real money no matter what I did.

Old 08-13-2016, 09:36 PM
AKHunter93
Elder User
Well if I were in that position I'd do the same thing, no doubt. But given that my TTB is still in good shape, I'm not in a hurry to drop a bunch of money to replace it.

Old 08-13-2016, 11:39 PM
westcoasting
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have an f250 and had to replace all the front end wear parts when i got it 4 years ago. I only have about 10000 miles on it since and now i have some clunking again. It's something that comes with the territory of a leaf spring ttb setup. I found a good d60 for 300 though and i hope to put that in this winter. So sick of how much pounding the ttb gives while off road.

Old 08-14-2016, 02:06 AM
AKHunter93
Elder User
Originally Posted by westcoasting
It's something that comes with the territory of a leaf spring ttb setup.
This is nonsense. I've been driving my truck for well over a year now, and I sure as hell didn't start with a fresh front end, and this noise is still a recent development.

Beyond that, you can bet none of these trucks had that issue when they were new. It's not "part of the territory," it's worn parts that need replacing or things need tightening or something needs adjusting. Sure, the nature of a TTB setup may contribute to accelerated wear on certain parts, but it doesn't just act faulty by design.

Old 08-14-2016, 07:28 AM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Yes it is nonsense ...

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Old 08-14-2016, 10:45 AM
westcoasting
Elder User
Originally Posted by Russell F Cary
This is nonsense. I've been driving my truck for well over a year now, and I sure as hell didn't start with a fresh front end, and this noise is still a recent development.

Beyond that, you can bet none of these trucks had that issue when they were new. It's not "part of the territory," it's worn parts that need replacing or things need tightening or something needs adjusting. Sure, the nature of a TTB setup may contribute to accelerated wear on certain parts, but it doesn't just act faulty by design.
Yep i meant the wear pattern, not the design. Having said that i found the coil spring f150's were always good to me. Every f250 i have had has quickly wore out parts way faster than f150's. And not to mention how rough the leaf springs ride.

Quick Reply: Who's The Culprit? Tie Rods, Steering box, or both?