2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Better Regen Info for 2017

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 02:13 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 535 Likes on 259 Posts
Better Regen Info for 2017

Based upon what I'm seeing in the owner's manual, it appears we will have better information during regens. Up to now, we'd get a brief 2 second orange screen (Cleaning Exhaust Filter) and after that, we'd never know when it was done; nor would we know when it would start. It appears there is a screen displaying how full the DPF is, and also whether the truck is regenerating or finished. This makes me very happy. It also states that regenerations will occur every 100-500 miles. Seems pretty short regen interval. Maybe this is based on the new calibration we are seeing which consumes less fuel.

One other positive note is the ability to reconfigure one of the gauges to display DEF if desired...plus the tank size is 6.8 gallons now.

All good things.

Old 08-12-2016, 03:02 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
The regen state PIDs can be read by OBDII readers. For those who have them, we have gotten very used to the percent full display and when active regen is on or off. It's very nice to see Ford now displays that info to the driver.

The regen frequency is the same as the previous generation. Grocery-getters are going to see the trucks in almost a constant state of regen (every 100 miles) but even heavy haulers will experience regens at a maximum of every 500 miles. I watched once when I was on a long tow as active regen kicked on even though the DPF Soot % value was single digits. It turned on, boosted the pre and post DPF temp sensors to 1,200 degrees and immediately turned off.

The DEF tank size is 7.4 in the owners manual now, not 6.8. That fleet guide is in sore need of updating.

Old 08-12-2016, 04:06 PM
jackfordsd350
Laughing Gas
Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts
This is great info. Glad is including this info in the truck display.

Old 08-14-2016, 11:53 AM
wharrell
Tuned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone determined which method will be used during regeneration on the 2017?

A) Continued use of injecting fuel into the Exhaust stroke on all 8 cylinder banks

B) Introduction of a 9th Injector into the Exhaust to supply the fuel for the DPF cleaning process

I apologize if this is in another thread. I have been tied up in a major corporate merger and have had little personal time to keep up on the forums.

Thanks guys.

Old 08-14-2016, 12:18 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
No 9th injector on the 2017s. Will still be "in cylinder" treatment.

Old 08-14-2016, 03:44 PM
troverman
Hotshot
I'd prefer the 9th injector and keep that extra fuel out of the cylinders.

Old 08-14-2016, 04:08 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by troverman
I'd prefer the 9th injector and keep that extra fuel out of the cylinders.
They agreed it was probably "best" practice, but cost and added components/leak sources were the killer of it.

Old 08-15-2016, 07:58 AM
ZAR2USA
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So no more Urea/DPF fluid and tank, is that correct? Going back to washing the lubrication out of the cylinder walls again, shortening the lifespan of the Diesel engines and contaminating the oil, can that be?!

Old 08-15-2016, 08:03 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by ZAR2USA
So no more Urea/DPF fluid and tank, is that correct? Going back to washing the lubrication out of the cylinder walls again, shortening the lifespan of the Diesel engines and contaminating the oil, can that be?!
Urea / DEF have nothing to do with regeneration of the DPF. There will continue to be a separate urea tank as usual.

Why do you think the diesel is "washing the cylinder walls?" Its only in the cylinder for one stroke and not put under pressure. It could, however, contaminate the engine oil to some limited degree.

Old 08-15-2016, 08:21 AM
ZAR2USA
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thx Troverman, always learn a lot from your posts. Great article write up below on Urea/DEF.

http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/exp...asic-training/

Old 08-15-2016, 09:21 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
I have an edge monitor and for my truck re-gen has been pretty consistent.
If towing the average regen has been 455 miles.
If not towing, don't really pay attention, but never more then about 455 miles.

Whenever re-gen activates, the average has been about 15 minutes and 15 miles (when on the highway) towing or not towing.

When not towing the re-gen tended to kick end when the soot level was getting near max.

When towing the re-gen would kick in (again about 450 miles) regardless of the soot level.

Towing has been with a 16K or more 5th wheel and as much as 3000 miles of steady tow.

Old 12-08-2017, 01:57 PM
smithrgs
New User
2017 regen

I have a 2017 f350, So, Ive been reading this blog for a while. Ive been reading about the dealer being able to open DPF status screen in info center. I called my dealer and they said that didn't know anything about it. After more research I found where a guy posted pictures of the screens of the programmer and how to do it. So I pulled the thread up on my iPad and took off you the dealer. They did it for free in about 2 mins.. I also asked if there was a way to put the 2017 into manual regen and the reply was no but you could buy a Edge CTS2 monitor and when you can do it, so I came home and ordered the programmer. This morning after reviewing the programmer info on the Edge sight it didn't say anything about manual regions. I called Edge and the tech guy said they don't do it on the 2017's. So the only thing the programmer will do is give you more gauges to look at. I cancelled the order because I could care less about additional gages.
What is the point of this post? Most people on these blogs don't know the difference between DPF, DEF or MPG. There is no way to put a 2017 Ford diesel into manual regen unless you go the shop or possibly buy the programmer that the dealer uses. The 2017 is a difference animal right now. I appreciate my man who posted the pics of the Ford programmer because without the pics I could not have got the screen programed, which just have the screen is a big relieve.

Old 12-08-2017, 02:25 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by smithrgs
What is the point of this post? Most people on these blogs don't know the difference between DPF, DEF or MPG. There is no way to put a 2017 Ford diesel into manual regen unless you go the shop or possibly buy the programmer that the dealer uses. The 2017 is a difference animal right now. I appreciate my man who posted the pics of the Ford programmer because without the pics I could not have got the screen programed, which just have the screen is a big relieve.
Actually, 2017+ trucks that are XL or XLT trim level can be ordered with an option that allows the user to start a regeneration. But neither FORScan nor Ford's IDS can "turn on" this hidden option.

The hidden screen you had the dealer activate is very useful, because it lets you know approximately when the truck is going to start a regeneration. Since you know that, you can intentionally plan a longer trip that will allow the truck time to complete the burn. Allowing the truck to completely finish a regeneration actually saves fuel vs the truck performing several shorter partial regens.

Old 12-08-2017, 08:28 PM
KWDAILYD
Senior User
Whee can i find this screen shot you speak of. I stopped by my dealer a week ago and they looked at me like I'm from Mars. Said they never heard of such a thing. Sure would like to educate them.

Old 12-09-2017, 07:07 AM
CO Wapiti
Elder User
Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts
Troverman, I have an XLT and I ordered the manual regeneration. It’s NOT what everyone thinks it is. You can ONLY command a manual regeneration when the DPF is at 100%. It is meant for when you cannot maintain a high enough speed for a proper auto regen. The manual regen is done with the truck in a stationary state only. I’m glad I have it because I spend a lot of time on mountain adventures where the roads won’t allow me to go faster than 5 to 15 mph for MANY miles. In the event my dpf is at 100% while on one of these roads, I can pull over and run the manual regen.
For the average truck owner, the manual regen feature is absolutely useless (other than the dpf % screen you get with it) I was very disappointed in it’s function, thinking that I would be able to command a regeneration when, let’s say, I knew I had 75 miles of highway driving to go and the dpf was at a high % and knowing I’d be on the slow driving backroads for next several days. Not so.

Quick Reply: Better Regen Info for 2017