2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Ford 5th Wheel Hitch

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 09:58 PM
4dogdoc
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford 5th Wheel Hitch

I have a Reese Pro Series 20K 5th wheel hitch in my '08 F250 cc sb. My plan was to have that installed in a new 2017, but I'm concerned about proper installation in the aluminum bed. The Ford installed 18K hitches (if I go LB) should handle my toy hauler, but there wouldn't be much weight margin there. I know Reese makes an Elite 25K that I understand should fit the Ford prep, but the prep package price + the price of the hitch as far as I can find, will be upwards of $2K. Am I right that the Reese Elite 25K will fit the Ford prep, and if so, has anyone found one for less than $1600? Even the 18K Elites I've found are priced $1200+, which would make the Ford prep and hitch package cheaper ($1465), and I thought I had seen several references on here that buying the Reese version aftermarket to use with the Ford prep ($370) was less than the Ford packaged deal.

Old 08-10-2016, 10:15 PM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 4dogdoc
I have a Reese Pro Series 20K 5th wheel hitch in my '08 F250 cc sb. My plan was to have that installed in a new 2017, but I'm concerned about proper installation in the aluminum bed.
I am by no means an expert on the fifth wheel installations. I do know that the Ford option fifth wheels are Reese and there should be reputable installers who can accommodate the install. The primary concern should be the preparation and frame work which needs to be done and having that come through as a factory option is wise since the install will be done before the box is installed and no one will have to remove the box to install the sub frame. There is an extremely competent group I have used in the past for trailer parts and some suspension upgrades. It might be worth your while to listen to comments here from users and also contact the people at etrailer.com. Good luck. I am sure you will get the correct answers. https://www.etrailer.com/question-40375.html

Old 08-10-2016, 11:51 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
eTrailer is a good suggestion as they have most of this stuff. Not that it's relevant to your question but I'm doing the same thing with my B&W companion. I need to buy a new base unit that works with the factory prep and then I can re-use my 18K head assembly. The base unit is $400 something so it's a cheap switch over for me.

A brand new 20K base and head (Model RVK3300) is on Amazon for less than $900.

Old 08-10-2016, 11:53 PM
gotroxs
Senior User
One thing that would help with this question is to know what comes with the 5th wheel prep. I know the alternate connection for the wiring harness is in the bed. The real question, which I am sure someone knows is if the frame brackets are already there. I am pretty sure they are for gooseneck so I am assuming they will be for the 5th Wheel.

I installed the factory brackets on 2014 SD Dually. Wasn't that hard. Just some tight spaces.

Anyone who has the factory 5th wheel prep on a previous know what comes with the prep?

If the frame brackets are there then all that is needed is the mounting rails which you bolt down through the bed. The holes need to be drilled out. Maybe not with the 5th wheel prep package? The bed being aluminum should not play a role IMO because you are really attaching the mounting rails to the frame brackets. The bed is just part of the sandwich but plays no role in holding the hitch in.

Old 08-10-2016, 11:59 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
This is a picture of the under-bed structure. The kit includes caps for the holes and a 7 pin plug in the side of the bed.

Old 08-11-2016, 12:02 AM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
This is what the Reese Elite looks like installed.

Old 08-11-2016, 12:02 AM
gotroxs
Senior User
That looks like a gooseneck frame bracket.

Old 08-11-2016, 12:04 AM
gotroxs
Senior User
OK I see how that is mounted. Different than mine. Gooseneck and 5th wheel. Need to look into this further cause the mounting looks different than my hitch. I dont want to by a new hitch. Very pricey.

Old 08-11-2016, 12:04 AM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
I'm not sure if they make a non-gooseneck frame. I was told that it's the same but Ford doesn't expose the gooseneck hole in the bed or give you the ball if you don't order the gooseneck hitch. Someone else can clarify.

Old 08-11-2016, 12:06 AM
gotroxs
Senior User
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...rt/C16443.html

That's what I have. It's a Curt. No Goose Neck. I have another Reese hitch in storage. Going to need to look at that one and the mounting points.

Old 08-11-2016, 01:52 AM
whmayhew
Mountain Pass
Reese hitch

Originally Posted by 4dogdoc
I have a Reese Pro Series 20K 5th wheel hitch in my '08 F250 cc sb. My plan was to have that installed in a new 2017, but I'm concerned about proper installation in the aluminum bed. The Ford installed 18K hitches (if I go LB) should handle my toy hauler, but there wouldn't be much weight margin there. I know Reese makes an Elite 25K that I understand should fit the Ford prep, but the prep package price + the price of the hitch as far as I can find, will be upwards of $2K. Am I right that the Reese Elite 25K will fit the Ford prep, and if so, has anyone found one for less than $1600? Even the 18K Elites I've found are priced $1200+, which would make the Ford prep and hitch package cheaper ($1465), and I thought I had seen several references on here that buying the Reese version aftermarket to use with the Ford prep ($370) was less than the Ford packaged deal.
Check craigslist. I bought mine 2 years ago for $175.00. It had never been used. Checking craigslist here in Maine this morning I found 2. Both 18K, one for $275, the other one (showroom model) for $850. Do get the Ford factory fifth wheel prep package. It's a lot cheaper than having someone install one.

Old 08-11-2016, 05:18 AM
HouseMouse
Elder User
My new 2017 F350 Due to dealer on the 14th. One of the options listed on Etis is... Fifth Wheel - Fleetmaster - Fixed. Is this the Ford Puck System? Thanks.... John.

Old 08-11-2016, 06:46 AM
4dogdoc
Junior User
Looks like Reese part #30156 Rail Kit Mounting Adapter will be my answer. Should fit the Ford prep, and allow me to use my Reese Pro Series hitch. Won't have to worry about proper install with the new aluminum bed, is under $300 on Amazon, rated at 20K, and I won't have to buy a new hitch. With prep from Ford and adaptor, I'm out about $650 instead of $1465 for all new Ford setup that would only be rated at 18K.

Old 08-11-2016, 06:48 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,198 Likes on 573 Posts
The factory prep is Reese Elite. It comes with all 5 holes, 4 for the 5th wheel and one for the gooseneck ball. The gooseneck hole is open whether you buy the ball from Ford or not. It also includes the in bed wiring. You can buy the Elite prep aftermarket from any retailer with just the 4 5th wheel pucks or with the 5th wheel pucks and gooseneck socket. Ford only sells it with both.

All that said, there is no way in the world I would buy a new truck and not have Ford install the prep if I intended to tow a 5ver. The installation alone drilling the bed for the hitch and wiring is a project. Then you have fresh drilled areas in your new bed where corrosion will start. Ford laser cuts all the openings if you order the factory prep before they prep and paint the bed which is what you want on a new truck.

The cost is MINIMAL compared to the new truck as a whole. When you factor in all the work to install some other system after the fact, hacking up a new bed, installing the wiring, etc. the factory prep along with a matching hitch is a bargain. The Reese Elite hitch is the same as you'd get from Ford. Curt and B&W also make drop in hitches that fit the factory (Reese Elite) pucks. You can likely even find one used on CL or the forum classifieds for cheap money. If you go with the adapter and your current hitch, make sure it doesn't make you nose high as it adds some height to the hitch. These new trucks are TALL. My pinbox is all the way up and my hitch all the way down on my current truck and I'm just level now. I'm not sure how I will address this on my 17...

Old 08-11-2016, 06:58 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I was on Craigs list looking for other items last night and spotted a fifth wheel to gooseneck adapter. This may be a different approach and would eliminate so much hardware in the bed. Here is one model but there are others available.
Reese Goose Box 5th-Wheel-to-Gooseneck Air Ride Coupler Adapter - Lippert 1716 - 16,000 lbs Reese Gooseneck and Fifth Wheel Adapters RP94622-61301

Quick Reply: Ford 5th Wheel Hitch