6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

`06 F250 6.0 Error codes

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 10:03 PM
Vole
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
`06 F250 6.0 Error codes

Hey all,

Okey, lets start with a short storey: I bought my truck 2 month ago. I use it for commuting, only short trips now ( 10 min ).
After about 2 weeks the Check Engine light came on. The truck is running fine, no problems I believe, starts easy. After another 2 weeks, the CEL disappeared. Another week, and the CEL came back on and it`s there since.
I have a code reader, these are the codes and meanings according the manual:

P0299 - Turbocharger "A" underboost condition
P2286 - Injector control pressure sensor circuit high
P2287 - Injector control pressure sensor circuit intermittent
P0299 Pending - same as first but with "pending" status

This is my first diesel and my first turbo charged engine. Is this a common problem? How serious?
It`s a bit strange that the error came up before but disappeared. Can that happen just because of the short trips I`m making?

I`m planning a long trip soon with towing my trailer, so I want to make sure the truck will not break down during the ride.

Hope you can help me

Old 08-09-2016, 04:59 AM
redford
Received 1,596 Likes on 933 Posts
Moved to 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel forum.

Old 08-09-2016, 03:39 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What type of scanner are you using?

If it can read or data log your ICP while driving that would help. But it sure sounds like a possible bad ICP sensor.

What year and how many miles?

Old 08-09-2016, 05:23 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts
I agree figure the ICP sensor out

Boost is reliant on Exhaust so maybe the ICP causing some problems there hard to say

get a scanner to read it digitally

Old 08-09-2016, 11:54 PM
Vole
Senior User
The scanner I`m using is just a basic one, don`t think it can read voltage or any other data during driving.

I have a feeling that this happens because of the short trips I`m making so I deleted the codes. Tomorrow morning I will take the truck for a long drive. There is a nice lake about 1 hour from our place, so I take my girlfriend to make her happy
So I will have 2 X 1 hour drive, which should clear out the system and exhaust. If the code comes back qiuck, than I will take the truck to the service and change the ICP sensor. I have an appointment already for the 19th ( that was the earliest they had ).

If the codes do not come back during this time, than it only needed a longer ride. We will see.

By the way it is a 2006 F250 4x4 with 150.000 kms ( so less than 100k miles ).

Old 08-10-2016, 07:43 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
not directly caused to short trips - its related to the ICP sensor and possible sticking turbo vanes (which could result from short trips if the vanes are not exercised regularly).

here is a good video by Ron -

Old 08-12-2016, 02:22 AM
Vole
Senior User
Thanks, but I saw that video already. I won`t take my turbo apart for sure

I deleted the codes from the computer the other day. I took the truck for a long drive ( bit more than 1 hour, highway and offroad mix ). Than it was shut down for about 1 hour and I took the same road back. Since than, I took 2 short trips. No CEL light yet.

Actually on the way back on the highway I had the wrench light came on, which never happened before. That is a totally different issue, and hopefully it was only because I pushed it hard the way back, harder than I will ever ride it.

The truck will sit for 2 days, and than I have to do some short trips again. Hopefully the CEL does not come back. Fingers crossed

Old 08-12-2016, 08:33 AM
AGE mechanic
Elder User
Don't baby it. Hit those on-ramps hard and give it a workout.

Old 08-13-2016, 04:48 AM
Vole
Senior User
Originally Posted by AGE mechanic
Don't baby it. Hit those on-ramps hard and give it a workout.
Wish I could.

My problem is that we have speed limits here as low as 40-50 km/h, which means if I hit the throttle hard, I`m over the limit in a few seconds. Right now all I can do is to take my baby out to the highway and ride it for 1 hour, but it is pure money burning. My situation will change withinin a month or two hopefully. If it does, than I have to make a 5000km trip with towing my trailer, which will give the old lady a good workout for sure. After that I will have longer rides, only a few short trips, so we only have to survive for a bit more

Hopefully the cooling system will manage the towing ( remember, I had the wrench light coming up the other day ), otherwise I will be in a trouble. The next town is 500km away ( nothing inbetween ), so the first section is crucial. Well, the second section is even longer, but if there is a problem, than I`m sure it will come out on the first day.

Old 08-13-2016, 08:02 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The P0299 is for under boost that is 4lbs under or more and for more than 5 seconds. That says the unison ring is stuck and needs cleaned. You need to clean the EBP and MAP sensor and tube feeding those sensors as well as they are used to determine boost.

The ICP sensor has probably an oil flooded connection. Check it, it's in the passenger valve cover.

Old 08-13-2016, 11:18 AM
Vole
Senior User
Originally Posted by WatsonR
That says the unison ring is stuck and needs cleaned.
Well, that`s why I took the big lady out to the highway. Some say that it may only need a good run and that should free up the stuck parts and clean out the system a bit.

Ofc this only works if the problem was minor. If I have bigger problem, than the system cannot clean out itself and it needs to be done by a mechanic ( I cannot do a repair job like this now ).

I`m happy to pay for the repair, but even the mechanic told me to try this first and see what happens. This is where I am now. Haven`t used the truck for 2 days, and now I have to do 2 short trips for 4 days. If the code comes back, than use my appointment on the 19th. If the code does not come back until the 18th, than I will cancel my appointment.

Old 09-04-2016, 12:09 AM
Vole
Senior User
I`m back for a quick report.
It looks like that the 2 * 1 hour drive on the highway solved my problem. Deleted the error codes before I took her on the ride, and the codes are not back since, which is good, because I use the truck daily for only short trips now ( 10 min ).

I don`t know what the problem was, maybe the turbo was a bit stuck inside, but the baby is working nice, no problems at all. I`m happy

Will take her on a long trip soon ( 5k km towing my 20` enclosed trailer, only about 600km / day ), hopefully she can do that easy.

Old 09-04-2016, 03:17 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
The trailer will help put a load on it.
When running empty if you see a hill slow down
and then punch it and then back off.

When I go to the post office less than 2 miles away I
come back the long way. that adds about 10 to 15 miles to the trip.
If you don't work that turbo hard it will stick and give you grief.

There is no real way around it you need to dive this and it just part
of the care and feeding of a turbo diesel engine.

Sean <BR>

6.0L Tech Folder

Old 09-04-2016, 03:51 AM
Vole
Senior User
Originally Posted by Yahiko
The trailer will help put a load on it.
Yupp. Hopefully not too much, because when I pushed the baby hard, the way back home from the highway journey, the wrench sign came up, which is a sign of overheating issue. Maybe I just pushed her too much that time.

Originally Posted by Yahiko
When running empty if you see a hill slow down
and then punch it and then back off.
This is exactly what I do the way there. We have a small "hill" section. I just release the pedal to slow down a bit and than push it hard ( not full, about 1/2-3/4 way ), the PSI goes up to 20, run it like that for a few seconds and than slow back down on the flat. Good thing is that this section is out of town, so we don`t have that stupid 40km/h speed limit.
It looks like that works.

Old 09-04-2016, 04:12 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
The wrench light is not just for over temp.
It also covers turbo issues. Look for this code
Turbocharger over boost detection - DTC P0234 stored and wrench warning lamp
illuminated when a turbocharger over boost condition occurs.

BTW full operating temp is 192ºF ECT some run a little hotter.
If your going to short trip the truck then you will also want to change the oil sooner.
This is do to condensation in the engine from heating and cooling, That moisture will
combine with combustion byproducts and create an acid that will attack the metal
internals of the engine. There are steps to take to work around this. I'll post more after
I have a little sleep.

Sean <BR>

6.0L Tech Folder

Quick Reply: `06 F250 6.0 Error codes