New Member Introductions New to FTE? Introduce yourself here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Hello All!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 12:07 AM
dwilli1969
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello All!

Hello everyone! My name is Duane. I am a lifelong Ford guy, but new to the diesel world.

I grew up around Fords. My first was a 1971 F-100 with a 302 that my dad gave me when I was 15 on the farm. I tinkered with it for a while, but ended up selling it due to lack of funds that limited my ability to do much with it.

Over the years I became a diehard Ford guy owning an old ' 72 Maverick, three Thunderbirds, a '78 Bronco, a '91 Explorer and a '96 Bronco (which I still own). I have never owned a Chevy.

Then for my birthday (which was yesterday) my wife decided she wanted to buy me a truck. I searched far and wide looking for exactly what I wanted. She gave me a budget of $20k and I wanted to find that cherry of a truck that would last me for years. After about a month of searching I ran across an ad on cars.com for a truck in Kentucky and a mad dash at 6AM the next morning netted me my first diesel truck.

So I am now the official owner of a fully stock 2003 F-350 Quad Cab 6.0 Turbo Diesel with just 87k miles on it. Other than the 5th wheel hitch she is bone stock and in mint condition. It was literally owned by an old guy that hardly drove it. Added bonus is the son of the old guy is the shop foreman of the dealership that I bought it from, so it was meticulously maintained. I paid full retail, but for a diesel that is entirely rust-free and under 90k miles, I felt like even full retail was a steal.

So now I find myself at a crossroad. I have never owned a diesel, so I have a lot of learning to do. I have significant experience with gas aspirated engines having taken 2 years of auto mechanics in high school and worked for a Exxon repair station and a transmission rebuilding business after high school, but diesel is a new adventure for me.

My immediate plans for the truck are:
- ARP studs and new head gaskets
- EGR delete
- cold air intake
- leveling kit
- possibly an upgrade to injectors

Plans for non-essential upgrades are:
- eliminate the 5th wheel hitch
- tonneau cover
- 4" exhaust
- bull bar w/fog lights (factory fogs are DOA)

This is my new baby. I also will be doing upgrades and maintenance on my '96 Bronco as it will be a 16th birthday gift for my son who is about to turn 15.

Thanks, Duane

Old 08-09-2016, 02:52 PM
1Aauto
Former Vendor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for joining Duane, it's great to have you here
Tony