Attention Boondockers, drycampers and gypsy folk...

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 08:26 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 83 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous
This is all great information and I am glad we can have this forum to share our experiences and thoughts about using the resources available to us. We have traveled out west many times because we have family in Washington and Idaho. Although, I never really could tell a clear line of property unless we were crossing into National Forest land.

Jim, that geo map seems to be a great tool for finding BLM land that is free to stay on.

Steve, when we dry camp, we always take our weapons. I keep a 9mm in the nightstand next to the bed. My wife keeps her .22 pistol in a safe located in the camper and then I have a rifle that I store in the camper as well just in case there is an animal/game problem of any sort.

Better safe than sorry and I know from experience from previous encounters with criminals invading my property/home.

Scraprat, those maps might be a good idea if loaded onto a tablet or something. I cannot see myself carrying around a bunch of paper copies though.

Let's keep this thread going and share more resources that we as boondockers have used.
Good morning. I see we are nearly neighbors! As a matter of fact, we camped on Lake Hartlwell two weeks ago. One guy that you may want to talk to that has been all over the last few years is Sailor_Roy in the 6.7L forum. He has spent the last three summers going all around the US with his granddaughter. He is also retired military. I'm sure he can give you some advice and places to go out west.
I don't go anywhere without a weapon. After 30 years in public safety, I even carry on my own property. You just never know. And especially within the last two years since all of us have become targets for various groups.
Have a great day.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:08 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,853 Posts
Steve, I understand your question now. I do carry a firearm with an IWB holster when I feel the need to. If we are going hiking or out and about in the town I will carry. Mostly because I don't know the area and the potential threats in the area. The challenge is finding a holster that is comfortable enough for you to wear while hiking, walking or sitting in your vehicle.

I always go with better safe than sorry.

Monty, where did you stay on Hartwell? Paynes Creek is our favorite due to the campground setup and it is only a mile-ish from our house. We can literally leave the campground and be home in less than 5 minutes.

I will send a PM to Roy asking him to chime in on this thread for all of us to share the info.

Old 08-05-2016, 10:41 AM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 3,998 Likes on 1,600 Posts
Originally Posted by 69cj
My only comment is, if you see a gravel road and don't know where it goes, DO NOT take it if your towing. I've gone down too many exploring that dead end and it barely had enough room to turn my truck around. If I'd been towing the trailer would still be there. A few all of a sudden narrowed down so much that the brush put scratches in the side of the truck.
Yes.....I have had that experience. Backing up the truck and 5th wheel for a mile.......

Old 08-05-2016, 10:50 AM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by RV_Tech
Here is a question. My wife and I have primitive camped, but never anywhere as expansive as the BLM territory. We own multiple guns and have concealed carry permits, but we never go armed (not trying to get into debate about the merits of gun ownership or going armed), but was wondering about the safety issues associated with camping in such isolated areas.

Steve
We have never experienced and human threat while camping on BLM land in Montana or surrounding states.....However I do carry and once camp is set up, keep my sidearm in the 5th wheel. We do have to be careful to switch the mind set when we go to Canada..........
I have never had a negative issue carrying on BLM land.

Old 08-05-2016, 11:07 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,693 Likes on 2,750 Posts
The only time I felt a concern for myself from another human is when we encountered an illegal baiting operation. We took GPS coordinates and pictures and then got out of there as quickly as we could. My primary weapon at the time was my compound bow (bow season) but I also had my pistol. I still felt outgunned.

There are wilderness areas in Wyoming where you're required to be armed. If the ranger asks and you don't have it you'll get a ticket.

Old 08-05-2016, 02:49 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,496 Likes on 1,305 Posts
As the old saying goes better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Old 08-05-2016, 05:40 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Have never had to use it but, IT IS THERE!

Old 08-05-2016, 06:19 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
As you can see from my signature image, I support the 2nd.

Steering us back on track about how to find those sweet boondocking spots....

Old 08-05-2016, 08:35 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Returned from a day on the lake.......

Wifey.....Lynn

Granddaughter....Theresa.

Another thought......This summer when we were near Flaming Gorge Reservoir.......We stopped at the boat inspection station and asked the folks there about camping on the BLM / National Forest land. We received some great information........

Old 08-05-2016, 08:57 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,693 Likes on 2,750 Posts
Here in Colorado I attend the Sportsmen's Roundtable put on my Colorado Parks and Wildlife. We get to meet with the area biologists and pick their brain - usually for fishing tips. They are also a great source of other information, including camping spots. They get out everywhere so they know all the good spots.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:26 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 83 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous
I always go with better safe than sorry.

Monty, where did you stay on Hartwell? Paynes Creek is our favorite due to the campground setup and it is only a mile-ish from our house. We can literally leave the campground and be home in less than 5 minutes.

I will send a PM to Roy asking him to chime in on this thread for all of us to share the info.
We were at Paynes Creek for a week. I also like Watsadler too. I like sites 23-28.. I live in Auburn, about 80 minutes away.
We also like Fort Yargo in Winder, which is about 7 miles from our house!

Old 08-15-2016, 12:51 PM
fbnmark
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For me my gun is like American Express "don't leave home without it". I do have a small safe in my truck for when I'm at work and can't carry because of company policy.

Old 08-17-2016, 11:25 AM
Super Duty DJ
More Turbo
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts
We typically go for shorter outings with kids aged 7 and 9 (almost 10), but we also like to find dispersed camp sites to have a better connection with nature and more free range for the kids. I tend to use the websites for the National Forest and/or BLM to gather some preliminary information about available camp sites and conditions, then use Google Earth to look for good sites. Once I have found what looks like a good spot using Google Earth, I reference the Motor Vehicle Use Maps for that area to verify that I am not going to be trying to take my fifth wheel down a high clearance 4WD road. Since our longest trip is likely to be ~5 days, we don't have to worry about laundry.

Old 08-17-2016, 11:28 AM
Super Duty DJ
More Turbo
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by HRTKD
Here in Colorado I attend the Sportsmen's Roundtable put on my Colorado Parks and Wildlife. We get to meet with the area biologists and pick their brain - usually for fishing tips. They are also a great source of other information, including camping spots. They get out everywhere so they know all the good spots.
I see you list your location as "Somewhere south of Denver." I live in the Denver Metro area, but I grew up on the Western Slope and I have family down near Cortez, so we go camping all over the state. I would love to find some dispersed sites that are within ~2 hours of home for those shorter weekend trips.

Old 08-17-2016, 02:09 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Super Duty DJ
We typically go for shorter outings with kids aged 7 and 9 (almost 10), but we also like to find dispersed camp sites to have a better connection with nature and more free range for the kids. I tend to use the websites for the National Forest and/or BLM to gather some preliminary information about available camp sites and conditions, then use Google Earth to look for good sites. Once I have found what looks like a good spot using Google Earth, I reference the Motor Vehicle Use Maps for that area to verify that I am not going to be trying to take my fifth wheel down a high clearance 4WD road. Since our longest trip is likely to be ~5 days, we don't have to worry about laundry.
Between your mention of the Motor Vehicle Use Maps and the BLM maps listed earlier this has already been a great learning experience for me. Keep the real world experiences and lessons learned coming for all of us to share and utilize.

Quick Reply: Attention Boondockers, drycampers and gypsy folk...