1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

steering wobble under hard braking

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 09:21 AM
995.4SD
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
steering wobble under hard braking

Hey guys, just did a search and couldn't find much on my exact issue...I just changed out all the steering linkages due to a lot of slop and worn out tie rod ends. This problem existed before I changed them but I thought for sure changing the linkages would fix it. When I brake hard my front tires wobble very bad. I haven't ever experienced the death wobble that is common in these trucks, but the symptoms seem the same, its just only when I brake hard. I can look at my front left tire while braking hard and see it wobbling. The wheel bearings and ball joints only have about 15k miles on them. I can't tell if the front wheels are moving independent of each other back and forth, or if they are both shaking back and forth together. Anyone know what might cause this? it's a super uneasy feeling when it happens, especially because whenever you are braking hard there is usually a reason. Thanks guys!

Old 08-01-2016, 09:33 AM
Mike1
Logistics Pro
Received 324 Likes on 294 Posts
I assume you've already ruled out warped rotors as a cause of the wobble?
You changed the tie rods and center links, did you have it aligned afterward?
Did you change out your sway bar links?
Is this a 4x4 or 2WD?
15,000 miles of the wheels bearings, how long has it been wobbling since changing them? If the weren't torqued to spec or if the locking washer wasn't put back in, they could have loosened. Have you checked you steering box to make sure it is tight to the frame and no play in the pitman arm?

Just throwing ideas out here, hope you don't mind.

Old 08-01-2016, 09:54 AM
995.4SD
Tuned
It's a 2003 7.3l 4X4. I don't think it's rotors, only because I would think I'd feel some sort of wobble/shake under all braking conditions, but it's totally smooth until hard braking. Sway bar bushings were all replaced at the same time as wheel bearings/ball joints. I did not have it aligned by a shop, but I aligned it myself. I have played with the toe multiple times thinking my wheels were too straight and maybe when I hit the brakes they actually had a toe-out condition, causing the wobble. Didn't seem to matter if I set the toe dead on, or gave it about an 1/8" toe-in, wobble was the same. I wouldn't get too hung up on alignment though since the symptoms are the exact same as before I touched any of that. You bring up a good point about the torque of wheel bearings/ball joints, I will check that tonight. I changed those myself and I don't remember there being lock washers on them, I did torque them to spec though. This has only been happening for maybe 1k miles. No play in the pitman arm, and I don't suspect the steering box is loose, but i'll check that tonight.

I'll check the torque on bearings/ball joints/steering box tonight. I feel like if the bearings were loose I would have a serious wobble issue even if I wasn't braking, but it's worth a shot.

Old 08-01-2016, 09:55 AM
995.4SD
Tuned
and no, I do not mind you throwing out ideas...that's why I'm here! lol

Old 08-01-2016, 10:37 AM
Mike1
Logistics Pro
Received 324 Likes on 294 Posts
I just bought an 03 F350 4x4 with the 5.4 a couple of months ago, so I'm just guess at the lock washers, My 95 F250 4x4 has the washers with the lock tabs, so I was guess the 03 did also.
Let us know what you find, I'd be interested in knowing the final result.

Old 08-01-2016, 11:49 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 994 Likes on 764 Posts
my vote is on rotors

not so much being warped but from not being turned during brake jobs.

replace the front pads and either have the rotors cut or rotors replaced.

Old 08-01-2016, 12:21 PM
Derek86
Junior User
I've got what I would describe at a strong shake in the front wheels under hard braking, I would bet on the rotors/brakes. If you aren't getting any kind of oscillation at any other time, I would go to the brakes first because you are using them (hard!) when it happens.

Coming from bikes, I've had the death wobble on two wheels, and this feels different. Usually if you have a balance issue, it will be apparent when accelerating or decelerating without brakes, or at a certain speed or road condition.

Old 08-01-2016, 12:31 PM
CyberJay
Senior User
It's not death wobble because that's a leaf spring truck.

My '04 had a variety of loose components over the years I owned it and none of them caused the shaking you describe.

The brakes on the older trucks ARE too small in my opinion. If you drive them hard you WILL have warped rotors. Warped rotors will contribute to uneven tire-wear and if you don't rotate your tires frequently that can cause some wobble.

I would replace the rotors and swap tires front/rear. See what that does. If that fixes it, remind yourself of two things. 1: Easy on the brakes, don't want to kill those new rotors, and 2: Remember to rotate your tires frequently.

-J

Old 08-01-2016, 12:44 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
try rotating the tires/wheels. could have damaged tire.. shifted belt in tires. or tires took a BAD SET from worn out front end parts.

Old 08-01-2016, 04:28 PM
995.4SD
Tuned
Ok, the more I read about it, I guess I can see the rotors causing that. Just weird that it is smooth during normal braking. I have never touched the brakes though, so it's probably not a bad idea to replace them. I'll let you guys know what fixes it, thanks for the ideas!

Old 08-01-2016, 05:04 PM
john hardy
Senior User
seems like rotors Good luck!

Old 08-01-2016, 05:36 PM
redford
Received 1,565 Likes on 913 Posts
I think what you are seeing is........(don't lynch me for this).........normal for a straight front axle 4x4 under hard braking, especially if you have larger tires.

This may be an extreme example, but see video, starting at about 9:30. Is that what you're experiencing?

Old 08-01-2016, 06:34 PM
CyberJay
Senior User
Originally Posted by redford
I think what you are seeing is........(don't lynch me for this).........normal for a straight front axle 4x4 under hard braking, especially if you have larger tires.

This may be an extreme example, but see video, starting at about 9:30. Is that what you're experiencing?

2016 Mercedes-AMG G65 vs. 1973 Icon FJ44 - Head 2 Head Ep. 75 - YouTube
That FJ has coil-overs and a track-bar. That's exactly what death wobble is.

OP's truck has leaf springs up front. I'm DEFINITELY not an expert, but I can't see leaf springs moving side-to-side in such a violent way.

-J

Old 08-01-2016, 08:07 PM
redford
Received 1,565 Likes on 913 Posts
No, death wobble is when you hit a bump and your front end wobbles, not when it wobbles under hard braking.

Old 08-01-2016, 08:27 PM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
When the steering box is in front of the axle, this is called leading linkage. The Model T and Chevy Vega are two examples that come to mind. Under braking, the steering linkage tightens up, leading to much better steering control.
Trailing linkage is much more common. When braking the linkage tends to loosen up. Under hard braking it gets even more loose. Which can allow the steering assembly (including wheels) oscillate from side to side.
Check all the steering components to ensure they are properly installed, properly torqued, and not excessively worn.

Quick Reply: steering wobble under hard braking