Notices
1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Windshield Install?

Old 08-01-2016, 09:25 PM
62fordF250
Senior User
62fordF250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
A friend with experience and I did the windshield in my 62 a few months ago. I also watched a few YT videos. None on our trucks specifically, but they were helpful. The DC gasket is a tight fit, but it worked fine for me.

If I had to do it again, I'd put sealant between the glass and the rubber, install the rubber, let the sealant cure, then install the windshield.

We worked it from the bottom to the top just like in the videos. Didn't use any lube either. Just take the time to work the cord around the corners and anywhere it might snag.

Might have taken us an hour after the gasket and ss trim were installed on the glass.

Old 08-14-2016, 05:51 PM
mountain dewd
Postmaster
mountain dewd has a spectacular reputation.mountain dewd has a spectacular reputation.mountain dewd has a spectacular reputation.mountain dewd has a spectacular reputation.mountain dewd has a spectacular reputation.mountain dewd has a spectacular reputation.mountain dewd has a spectacular reputation.mountain dewd has a spectacular reputation.mountain dewd has a spectacular reputation.mountain dewd has a spectacular reputation.mountain dewd has a spectacular reputation.
Thanks for the replies guys. We have been struggling at this to no avail. We have tried putting the rubber on the truck then installing the windshield and that didn't work, and we can't get the rubber on to the windshield to try it that way. It refuses to go on. We try to get one corner on, then another, then the first one pops off. Thoughts?

Old 08-14-2016, 06:16 PM
mountain dewd
Postmaster
mountain dewd has a spectacular reputation.mountain dewd has a spectacular reputation.mountain dewd has a spectacular reputation.mountain dewd has a spectacular reputation.mountain dewd has a spectacular reputation.mountain dewd has a spectacular reputation.mountain dewd has a spectacular reputation.mountain dewd has a spectacular reputation.mountain dewd has a spectacular reputation.mountain dewd has a spectacular reputation.mountain dewd has a spectacular reputation.
I might also add that the gasket, ordered from Steele is very stiff and hard to work with.

Old 08-14-2016, 06:58 PM
64highboy
Senior User
64highboy is starting off with a positive reputation.
My gasket was lmc pretty sft and the window is aftermarket cant remember the brand. We had two of us on the inside pulling with suction cups, and two on the outside pushing along the windshield were the rubber was pulling over the flange. Lots of dish soap, lots! Also make sure the window is squared upmin the opening before you start pulling on the rope, pull cord for chainsaw works the best. Try this you might end up needing a softer gasket.

Old 08-14-2016, 07:04 PM
mountain dewd
Postmaster
That's the conundrum. The gasket seems quite high quality, but unbelievably rigid. It just refuses to conform to the windshield, and any time we use soap, it slips right off the window.

Old 08-14-2016, 07:43 PM
64highboy
Senior User
I put the gasket on the window and the line around then ran a bead of dish soap around on the line. Maybe someone else can chime in on gasket quality.

Old 08-14-2016, 08:45 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Tedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputation
Steele products are supposed to be excellent. Thinking outloud, would (carefully!) heating it in a 150F oven maybe soften it up, or maybe soaking in scalding hot water, hair dryer etc. Way above my pay grade, just wondering.

I'd deploy my special checkbook tool I'm thinkin'. Say $100 worth, they drive out to your truck.

Old 08-14-2016, 08:47 PM
yankbs 66f100
Elder User
yankbs 66f100 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.yankbs 66f100 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
It has been awhile for me, but if you can't get the seal on the glass, probably wrong seal. They are a snug fit and needs a small diameter cord, usually about 1/4", masking tape to keep the gasket on the glass, and a bottle of dishwashing detergent with about 25% water. Of course, start by setting the bottom onto the flange, as much as you can, and then work the cord around from the bottom to each corner. the tape can be pulled out if it gets stuck in the seal. Good luck, but take your time.

Old 08-14-2016, 08:51 PM
mountain dewd
Postmaster
It has been around 110 when we try working on it, you would think that would be sufficient! The Steele product seems very nice, no issues with the quality at all, just seems awfully stiff. The checkbook tool is awfully tempting...

Old 08-14-2016, 09:13 PM
64highboy
Senior User
Ya when we have stubborn mouldings at work we put them in the paint booth on a bake cycle.

Old 08-17-2016, 06:27 AM
Roger C
Senior User
Roger C is starting off with a positive reputation.
windshield install

First, go to your local auto glass distributor like Pilkington, Mygrant, or Safelite/Service and buy the rubber gasket from them. many classic car and truck guys our there like DC, LMC, and the like get their gaskets from the cheapest chinese supplier as they can find.
Second, buy a tube of Bedding compound from any autobody supply store or glass distributor. Glass distrubutors usually sell by the case though.
for lubrication when roping the windshield in I use lots of Sprayaway glass cleaner from Costco.
for rope i use nylon clothesline cord. its not too thick so makes it easier to pull the gasket in,
handheld suction cups are very helpful when roping in the glass especially if you are doing it yourself.
When you are using Chrome trim its very helpful to have 2 people and lots of patience.
From here its best to watch some videos to get a visual on installation methods.
I've been doing glass for a living for nearly 20 years and last time I helped a friend install a windshiel on a '66 a couple of months ago it still took 3 hours with the stainless trim.
you're better off to have a shop install the windshield so if the installer breaks it the installer pays for a new windshield.
Don't use Safelite to install your glass. find a shop that has well experienced installers that have done a few gasket set windshields.

Old 08-17-2016, 09:08 AM
theastronaut
Senior User
theastronaut is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.theastronaut is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
We do glass on older cars/trucks all the time at our shop. With a good windshield and a good rubber we can have the glass installed in less than 10 minutes with 2-3 people working on it. If it's not a good glass or rubber then it's harder to get it installed, if its even possible. Sometimes the glass itself doesn't quite fit the shape of the pinchweld, making the rubber too loose or too tight around the edges. Usually the corners are off the most. We like to use Precision brand seals and very rarely have an issue with them. Most of the aftermarket rubber products are junk so stick with quality suppliers like Precision or Dennis Carpenter.

Old 08-24-2016, 11:31 PM
mountain dewd
Postmaster
Time for an update. After a bunch of fiddling, we got the rubber on the glass, the glass up on the truck, and with some work, it popped in! Thanks for all your help!

Old 08-25-2016, 11:59 AM
James_Western_Canada
Elder User
James_Western_Canada is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
theastronaut: Precision is one supplier I was not familiar with, just went & had a look on their webpage, looks like other than the glass channel fuzzies, they have all the other items (door weatherstrips, front & rear window gaskets, vent window gaskets, & beltline inner/outer fuzzies)

Here is a link to the '61-'66 F-series items.....

Weatherstrip

James

Originally Posted by theastronaut View Post
We do glass on older cars/trucks all the time at our shop. With a good windshield and a good rubber we can have the glass installed in less than 10 minutes with 2-3 people working on it. If it's not a good glass or rubber then it's harder to get it installed, if its even possible. Sometimes the glass itself doesn't quite fit the shape of the pinchweld, making the rubber too loose or too tight around the edges. Usually the corners are off the most. We like to use Precision brand seals and very rarely have an issue with them. Most of the aftermarket rubber products are junk so stick with quality suppliers like Precision or Dennis Carpenter.

Old 08-25-2016, 12:36 PM
TA455HO
Post Fiend
TA455HO has a very good reputation on FTE.TA455HO has a very good reputation on FTE.TA455HO has a very good reputation on FTE.TA455HO has a very good reputation on FTE.
Here's a link to some install instructions that they have. I hope to get my original carlite windshield out intact and reuse it.

http://precisionrestorationparts.com...397-Attachment

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Windshield Install?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.