1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Spring Cleaning??

Old 07-27-2016, 08:57 AM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
Spring Cleaning??

Should I wirebrush the rear springs and re install them, paint them, POR 15 them

I'd like them to look nice but have read PROs & CONs to painting Springs.

Old 07-27-2016, 12:59 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
If I were doing it over, I'd take them apart, wirebrush to get all the loose stuff off (not to bare metal) and round the tops of the ends so they don't dig into the spring above. Then maybe hit them with a light coat of spray can black after they are assembled.

Old 07-27-2016, 02:03 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Ross,
What Did you do to yours? I'm not sure I am prepared to fight the rusted center bolt

Old 07-27-2016, 02:22 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 757 Likes on 369 Posts
For mine, I just kept the pack together and wire brushed and painted them as a whole.
I didn't want to mess with separating them. I brushed on Rustoleum.

Old 07-27-2016, 02:23 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
I did the bushings/pins and a good inspection for cracked leaves, blew out the dirt, but did not disassemble when it would have been comparatively little extra work. This is why... I figured I'd be in for replacements, and just wasn't in a position to do that. Since then I've put 10,000 miles on it and no problems.

Old 07-27-2016, 02:44 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Harrier
For mine, I just kept the pack together and wire brushed and painted them as a whole.
I didn't want to mess with separating them. I brushed on Rustoleum.
The chicken in me says that's what I should do. The Mechnic in me says do what Ross suggested.

Old 07-27-2016, 03:23 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Do your springs have the grooves in them like mine (along the length of the leaves)? If so, you can just flush out between the leaves by spraying water and soap up there, with the spring pack upside-down. Let dry, blow out with air. Amazing how much junk goes down the grooves in service.

With the shocks disconnected and the weight of the rear end on the springs, they open up enough to do some good cleaning, there is a decent gap between leaves. I did some careful grinding on the ends to reduce the "digging in", using a Dremel and thin discs.

Old 07-27-2016, 04:13 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
The center bolts should not be an issue. A couple clamps or vise to hold the spring pack and cut the bolt. Really not a lot energy stored there when the spring is static. Chances are good the bolt will be bent. Replacements are readily available from NAPA, not expensive. I've run into many broken and or bent center bolts. Last project, my F4 had four bad spring center bolts.
Edit: It is a good feeling driving a vehicle that you know is 'right', nothing overlooked.

Old 07-27-2016, 04:15 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Ross,
I really don't remember seeing any digging in to the upper springs on mine. I'll have to snap some pictures next time I'm out by the trucks.
I got all new hangers from Mid Fifty (Mine were worn side to side) so now my springs will ride on Poly bushings instead of the old Brass bushings that required greasing. No more popping when I turn corners.
Frames cleaned, Suburban fuel tank is installed between the rails, 9" rear axle is prepped, new gas shocks on hand. Just gotta get everything POR 15ed and assembled.

Old 07-27-2016, 04:18 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by raytasch
The center bolts should not be an issue. A couple clamps or vise to hold the spring pack and cut the bolt. Really not a lot energy stored there when the spring is static. Chances are good the bolt will be bent. Replacements are readily available from NAPA, not expensive. I've run into many broken and or bent center bolts. Last project, my F4 had four bad spring center bolts.
Edit: It is a good feeling driving a vehicle that you know is 'right', nothing overlooked.
Ray did you paint your springs? You're pushing me over the edge here. I really don't want to be tearing back into the rear end once it's assembled. I just keep seeing those $$$$ flying outta the bank

Old 07-27-2016, 04:21 PM
HkyswiM
Tuned
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I had no issues with the center bolts either. I clamped them on both sides with c-clamps and then cut down the middle of the bolt with an angle grinder with cutoff wheel to just above the leaf since mine were totally rusted. Then used a few whacks of the hammer on each side of the bolt and it snapped off.

Painted them with Eastwood rust encapsulator after using a wire brush on my angle grinder then used eastwoods ceramic frame coating that I had sprayed my frAme with as a topcoat. Have not been on the road so I can't comment on wear but they turned out greAt.

Old 07-27-2016, 04:28 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by bjmayberry2
Ray did you paint your springs? You're pushing me over the edge here. I really don't want to be tearing back into the rear end once it's assembled. I just keep seeing those $$$$ flying outta the bank
No, Blue is not a show truck. I figured the springs had not rusted after sixty plus years, they would not rust during my lifetime. I cleaned them, installed new center bolts and eye bushings and called it done. A dusting of semi gloss black would probably make them look good.

Old 07-27-2016, 06:24 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 757 Likes on 369 Posts
Originally Posted by bjmayberry2
The chicken in me says that's what I should do. The Mechnic in me says do what Ross suggested.
I was definitely in the chicken category when I did mine.
After all I have done, I would seriously be tempted to take them apart.
But, Ray has a lot of wisdom in his words. If they aren't causing problems, or have any cracks, they will most likely outlast you the way they are.

Old 07-28-2016, 01:48 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Ran across this on uTube. Thought it was worth sharing.

Old 07-28-2016, 01:59 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
I did the bushings/pins and a good inspection for cracked leaves, blew out the dirt, but did not disassemble when it would have been comparatively little extra work. This is why... I figured I'd be in for replacements, and just wasn't in a position to do that. Since then I've put 10,000 miles on it and no problems.

Ross,
Here's what mine look like.

Looks like the center bolt may be loose. I think I'm going to take them apart, clean them and put them back together. Then paint the outside with POR15.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spring Cleaning??