6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

New (soon) 6.7 owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 01:16 AM
DDT11
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New (soon) 6.7 owner

I will be ordering a 2017 F350 king Ranch or Platinum after driving one on the 11th. I have never had a diesel and have a couple of questions.

I know in the past, you did want to take short trips, is this still true? If it is, what is considered a short trip?

I'm planning on towing approx. a 13k# 5th wheel, I had the 3.55 rear end in mind, what do you think?

I like to do my own basic service, oil/filter changes, etc., anyone have any problems with warranty claims when doing your own maintenance?

Thanks for your input.

Old 07-27-2016, 01:29 AM
cyncwby
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your first question "you did want to take short trips" or did you mean ....you did NOT want to take short trips? Anyway, whatever constitutes a short trip....who knows, I think you need to drive the truck until it reaches normal operating temp so whatever condensation is gone among other things.

Some of the members here tow 5th wheels with 3.31 gears and say they don't have a problem, you really don't want to lug a diesel down too much. The 3.55 shsould work ok, I've got a '16 F350 dually with the high capacity tailer tow pkg. which has 4.30 gears. I did however install 20" tire/wheels which changes the ratio to "around" 3.73. Pulls my 13K 5th wheel just fine. A lot of guys do their own maint and oil changes, just make sure you keep good records and I hear the receipts for the oil/filters to prove what you're buying.

Old 07-27-2016, 01:49 AM
DDT11
Mountain Pass
Yes, you're right. I meant that you should not take short trips. My office is about 5 miles and I don't know how quickly the 6.7 will heat up.

Old 07-27-2016, 01:53 AM
cyncwby
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I'm sure you'll get different replys on what a short trip is but I think 5 miles is really pushing it. You just may enjoy driving it so much that you'll add an extra few miles each way just for fun.

Old 07-27-2016, 04:51 AM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

Short trips aren't bad, just if that's all you take every time. Iv'e had diesels for 15 years and I bet i've been to the beer store 500 times that's a mile away and I don't have a problem.... Well with my truck anyway.

Old 07-27-2016, 07:24 AM
Deuce40s
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DDT11
Yes, you're right. I meant that you should not take short trips. My office is about 5 miles and I don't know how quickly the 6.7 will heat up.
It won't warm up in 5 miles. It takes me about 15-20 miles to get to normal operating temps for the engine and trans when it's warm outside. I haven't gotten to winter with this truck yet but I imagine it'll take a bit longer. As long as you stretch its legs out on the weekend you'll be fine.

Old 07-27-2016, 08:00 AM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
Lots of expensive parts on this truck. Consider purchasing an extended warranty and let worry about the short trips.

I drive 9 miles to and from work each day and live in the north part of the USA. In winter, the truck gets warm most days by the time I get to work. Never an issue in spring, summer, or fall. My truck sees plenty of weekend freeway runs for hours at a time though.

During the winter, I have run into the regen cycle where the truck wants to regen and I need to take it for a longer drive. On those days, I take the long way home to insure the regen completes. Part of owning a modern diesel.

Bruce...

Old 07-27-2016, 09:27 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 83 Likes on 16 Posts
Once you buy it, you'll kick yourself for not doing it sooner! As stated above, let Ford worry about the truck "IF" something were to happen, although I would buy the extended FORD warranty. These things are amazing!! Don't be a stranger!

Old 07-27-2016, 10:24 AM
stsmark
Mountain Pass
Received 60 Likes on 16 Posts
I had a 6 mile back road commute for 20 + years. I used a 7.3 F250 for 10 and a 2011 6.7 for 4 and neither ever had an issue from it. Frankly neither had/ have any power train issues at all.
I just don't think it's an issue if they get regular use for longer periods.

Old 07-27-2016, 01:00 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
One thing it will give you with constant 5 mile runs is crappy fuel mileage. Diesels don't have spark plugs and rely on heat and compression to run. Your engine will never be totally heat saturated in five miles no matter what the temp. gauge says.

Old 07-27-2016, 02:40 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 83 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by 69cj
One thing it will give you with constant 5 mile runs is crappy fuel mileage. Diesels don't have spark plugs and rely on heat and compression to run. Your engine will never be totally heat saturated in five miles no matter what the temp. gauge says.
BUT, he will be driving one of the most powerful trucks in the country. My guess is that he will be leaving for work early and taking different, scenic routes!

Old 07-27-2016, 03:09 PM
donovan
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
5 miles

With short trips, You will see more regens, you will see bad MPG. The turbo and egr will coak after a while if you don't tow heavy once in a while. 5 miles is a short trip in everyone book. The 6.l2 gasser is a good truck and you might want to look at it. Diesel are more maintenance will do cost more to keep up or repair.

I love my diesel truck but it not for running in town.

Old 07-27-2016, 07:20 PM
Iceman1777
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Congrats on your upcoming purchase. I think the only thing I would trade my 2016 for is a 2017. I am also a first time diesel owner and had the same questions with an in-town short commute of about 3 miles one way to work. And like has been said, I saw regens more frequently and about 12 mpg, and I would just make sure I would drive it 25-30 miles at least once a week. We are now full time on the road and I'm at 10,200 ft pulling our 16k Montana. Keeping up with 65 mph speed limit with no problem and absolutely loving this truck.

Old 07-27-2016, 08:14 PM
DDT11
Mountain Pass
Thanks for all the input. As with most things in life, get quality, take care of it, relax and enjoy.

Old 07-29-2016, 12:50 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by DDT11
Thanks for all the input. As with most things in life, get quality, take care of it, relax and enjoy.
Right... and the truck will let you know if it needs a long drive and you forget. (Drive to clean exhaust filter message will pop up).

When you get the new truck see if the DPF % gauge is active, if it isn't when you get it. This is the best time to get it added as the dealer is in a mood to make you happy so you will buy it. That way you know how "full" the filter is. Yes, you can get an number of aftermarket gauges to watch stuff like this, but this would be "free". Some shops charge an hour at diesel labor rates to add it later.

Capable and comfortable are two different things. While I agree that the gas trucks are capable, they are not as comfortable for most people to tow heavy with. Not as quick up the mountain, they take a huge MPG hit and adding a diesel aux tank is safer than one for gas. While I run my kids to school and go grocery shopping in mine - she isn't a pavement princess either. We go on trips and down the dirt highways of Alaska and Canada too.

Quick Reply: New (soon) 6.7 owner