Notices

Paint and wax

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 09:04 PM
PCWest13
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paint and wax

Hey all, my wheel wells are very warn and I am looking into painting them myself. Should a good spraypaint do the trick? And also, the body of my truck is a little scratched up. What wax do you recommend? I need something to make it look nice and shiny.

Old 08-18-2003, 10:09 PM
Cujo31
Junior User
Paint and wax

Hey there PCWest -- for your wheel wells ... have you tried applying something like a solvent based wheel dressing? Once you clean the wells with something like Simple Green then put some solvent based dressing on it. That way they will clean up much faster next time plus they should stay pretty dark. Thats what I do

For you paint I use a product from Poorboys world. All his products are top notch and sooooo easy to use. Since I still havent been able to figure out how to actually post an image... LOL email me and I will email ya a pic of how Poorboys looks. It looks amazing on Black! Other colors as well tho .. lol Also, there are other products such as Meguiars, Mothers, Klasse, etc .... ask yourself first, how do you want this product to work? What do you want your paint to look like? How easy do you want the product to work?

Old 08-19-2003, 11:21 AM
PCWest13
Senior User
Paint and wax

Well, heres the problem. My wheel wells aren't just a little warn, they are really blotchy. They have a corroded black color on them, but lots of huge spots of white. I think it is from wear.. So I think I am going to have to apply some type of paint..

As for the wax. My truck is kind of a dark green color. It is factory paint. I have been using turtle wax scratch and swirl remover and it seems to be working alright and lessens the appearance of my scratches, but in about 2 weeks it is back to where it was. So I guess I am looking for something to hide my scratches for a little longer and keep it shiny as well. My paint is wierd because it is very reflective. When I took pictures of it after I waxed it you could barely tell what color it was because it was like a mirror. I am willing to put a few hours into the wax job. I need it to shine before school starts... lol. And also, I bought a set of 4 factory 1992 Ford F150 wheels. The 10 hole with the bullets, 15", for $140. They are used but still in very god condition. I can't tell if they are aluminum or chrome though. Does anyone have a guess? Thanks a bunch!

Old 08-19-2003, 06:42 PM
Cujo31
Junior User
Paint and wax

Have you tried something like Simple Green and a good stiff brush in the wells? Griots Garage has something called Under Carriage spray or somethign like that in which works great.

Take a look at Poorboys SSR2, Polish with Carnauba, and top it with EX Sealant, or just stay with the first 2. What you will want to do is spend most of the time on the paint prepping. By prep I mean the SSR2 or polishing and scratch/swirl remover in general. Waxing or sealing the paint shouldnt take too long. I did a lighter color green the other day ... well it wasnt actually light green.. lol it was dark green after I was done. I did the SSR2, PwC, and EX. For chrome, aluminum, etc ... try the Pro Polish. You can even use that on the glass! Take a look at www.poorboysworld.com.

Old 08-19-2003, 07:57 PM
PCWest13
Senior User
Paint and wax

Alright, thanks for the info. I am looking into buying some of the Poor Boys polish right now. And I already have the simple green, so I will be starting my clean up project September 6-7, right before I get my license. Thanks a bunch!

Old 08-19-2003, 10:33 PM
Aerodyamis
Junior User
Paint and wax

from my experience use meguires, thats if u use the 3 step process, will remove light scratches and polish the paint to a nice deep shine, not trying to tell u not to use poorboys though, i have never used it

Old 08-19-2003, 11:38 PM
Cujo31
Junior User
Paint and wax

The Meguiar's 3 Step process is a nice one. I actually stepped it up a notch and did Megs #9, then #7, topped it with #26. Either way you go you will not be unhappy with it I needed something that suited me a little better in that, I have 6 kids so Im usually interupted while detailing. At times Im away from my truck for a few hours.. lol I come back and any of the Poorboys stuff comes right off. Now that Im detailing cars for a living, I also needed something I could work with in the sun just in case the hood or rear end of it are stuck with sun pelting them. The PBs stuff you can use in the sun with no problems That was another big seller for me.