1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

starting the wireing

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 03:12 PM
itsnotavan
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
starting the wireing

cropped out all the wiring not related to the engine and gauges. can't believe the state it was in so brittle and worn. Had i continued to do the 12v conversion with state it was in there would of been a fire for sure.

here in the UK the car after market is not what i think it should be. no speed shops. only one real auto parts retailer and its junk and all the mechanics act like it's all witchcraft so they bend you over the barrel any chance they get. I haven't taken any thing into a dealer or shop since i was 14 and ill not start now.

Ill probly get everything in bulk less the fuse box and re-run everything one at a time

also pulled out the old AM radio man is that thing cool with the tubes inside shame I have no use for it. Is there a place that will refurb these? I have no use for it but if one of you lot need a "core", let me know and it's yours

Old 07-25-2016, 05:11 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 727 Likes on 259 Posts
typical of our vintage truck... mine actually had a piece of twisted galvanized clothes line wire in one circuit, wrapped with cheap electrical tape for insulation and used wire nuts for the connections... you're making the best choice... but a rewire kit might be cheaper and easier in the long run. All the connections (well half) are made... wires are marked for what they do, proper gauge and routed in groups...

There are shops here in the states that will rework those old am radios for am/fm and make them pretty... don't know the cost ... they are on the net. http://www.vintageautoradio.com/inde...d=54&Itemid=64

later
John

Old 07-26-2016, 03:05 PM
itsnotavan
Junior User
have put thought into into getting a rewire kit but after shipping and import duty to the UK the price goes up by 50% and ill still need to hack into it to add front and rear fog lamps (UK requirement and scotland is dark 18 hours a day in the winter) plus any other modernization requirements for heated seats and 21 century amenities. besides i have a parts account at all the truck suppliers with my work so i get the goods at cost.

Old 07-26-2016, 07:16 PM
kendall66
5th Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
when I did my truck I got a kit......it was I believe called EZ wiring kit, it was cheapest one out there at the time

, but I was surprised on the quality. everything was labeled very well.

Old 07-26-2016, 10:40 PM
CaptPayne
Senior User
Well since you are from the UK, rewiring might not be as bad as you think. With the headache that is Lucas electrics being from there, I know there are a bunch of auto electric suppliers that do classic wiring for British makes, but they all sell quality bulk wire, loom tape, and connectors. When I redid the wiring in my '76 mini I was able to get bulk colour coded wire from the UK. Shipping was a pretty penny to this side of the pond, but should work in your favour. Did you want to stay stock? Alternator or generator? Any accessories?
I'm doing mine with an EZ Wire kit, but am still adding my own circuits and touches to it like relays for the headlights and such

Old 07-27-2016, 02:38 AM
Normalbloke
Senior User
I'm in the UK. The 'aftermarket' hotrod scene is nowhere near as dire as you point out. There are plenty of' speed shops' and associated services. You're quite fortunate, your project has a loom to start with. Mine didn't have a single wire attached to it whatsoever!

Old 07-27-2016, 05:48 PM
pbsdaddy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 970 Likes on 864 Posts
I just completed, (with the very much needed help of an experienced mechanic), the 12 volt conversion and EZwire kit. If you get the 21 circuit kit, (about $180 here), you will have more than enough circuits for anything you want or need. I found it very confusing because I was trying to use the instructions from both the 12 volt conversion kit and the EZ wire. However, they will go together and you will end up with a right nest package.