P0301 and P0303 - I'm lost. Anyone please chime in.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 11:56 PM
Nomadic Van
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P0301 and P0303 - I'm lost. Anyone please chime in.

I've posted in the Econoline section of the forum without any luck. I'm hoping someone here might actually be able to relay useful information. I'm pretty lost and don't know what I should look for next.

Last week I purchased a 1999 Ford e150 with the 4.2l V6 at 109k miles. I was immediately presented with the following codes:
P0301 - Misfire Cyl. 1
p0303 - Misfire Cyl. 3
p1405 - DPFE Sensor Upstream Hose off/unplugged
p0174 - Bank 2 Combustion too lean

When I got home I checked the DPFE hoses and one was unplugged (but new hoses). Plugged it up and that got rid of my 1405 and 0174 codes.
I replaced spark plugs, spark plug wires, and coil pack. Fuel pressure at the rail reads 40psi, cylinder 1 and 3 both show ~170 psi when I did a compression test (almost hoping I had valve issues). I sprayed carb cleaner anywhere there could possibly be a vacuum leak and my idle never changed.

I should also note after changing my coil I went for a quick test drive. When I reached highway speeds (50-65mph) my driver side exhaust manifold began to glow bright red. I couldn't see my passenger side.

The only thing I've found out of the ordinary is the metal tube leading from the EGR valve to the exhaust manifold. But from my past experience, this wouldn't cause such a bad misfire, nor should it make my exhaust turn red. I'm sure the glowing is from a clogged cat due to running the van with a misfire for so long, but for now my main focus is fixing this misfire.

I've attached a photo of the crack in the EGR tube.

If any one could please give me some guidance, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm completely lost.

Bonus photo of my van because I'm slowly falling in love.

Old 07-18-2016, 10:23 PM
Nomadic Van
New User
UPDATE: No one has replied with any advice so I'm just throwing more info into the dark here but I'm desperate.
Cut out my two catalytic converters behind the manifold and replaced them with straight pipes. Exhaust manifold no longer glowing red.
MISFIRE PERSISTS. Going up slopes, wide open throttle, I don't accelerate at all. In some cases I lose speed. She's obviously struggling and I can't figure it out.

Took it to Good Year to get diagnostic tested. Both master techs took a look and confirmed the following:
Misfire on cyl. #1 and #3
Good fuel pressure
Good compression across all 6 cylinders
Firing order from coil all good
I believe he mentioned the injectors were all firing properly as well, I can't remember off the top of my head however they waived the diagnostic fee and referred me to the dealer because they didn't know what was causing the issue. His best guess was "possible egr clogged or intake".

I came home and replaced all the immediate rotten hoses I could find. Sprayed more carb cleaner while it idled and couldn't find anything. I took off EGR valve (which looked pretty new) and it held vacuum properly.

I have no idea where to go next. I'm absolutely lost and losing motivation, but I'm trying to keep it positive.

Two things I noticed.

1. EGR exhaust recirc tube has a crack. Please see photo below. I don't think this would possibly cause such an issue however I could be wrong. Regardless one is on the way to my home.
2. I found this line that is capped. It is on the passenger side next to the intake manifold. It looks like it's coming out of a metal brake-like-line. Do you guys have any clue what this is and if it's supposed to be capped?

SOMEONE ANYONE. Please help. I need to get her running right.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:02 PM
Nomadic Van
New User
Replaced the cracked EGR hose. Nothing changed. No one has anything?
I replaced my plugs again today also. The ones pictured have less than 300 miles on them. From left to right they are from cylinders 1,2, and 3. The outer plugs are from the misfiring cylinder. The opposite side (cylinders 4,5, and 6) look similarly to the plug in the middle (cylinder 2).