6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Un-clogged my oil cooler

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 10:14 PM
Tideman
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Dick this is interesting. Do me/us a favor and keep us posted 1month 2 month 3 month ect. If this works it could help a lot of people. I'm cautious just now. Post back to this thread please so we can keep up with your progress. Thanks

The following users liked this post:
Old 07-16-2016, 10:42 PM
DickNitro
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tideman
Dick this is interesting. Do me/us a favor and keep us posted 1month 2 month 3 month ect. If this works it could help a lot of people. I'm cautious just now. Post back to this thread please so we can keep up with your progress. Thanks
Will do for sure! Fingers crossed!

Old 07-16-2016, 11:03 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
This is where I think a relocate kit would be Ideal you could clean the oil cooler in a better way and avoid sending any harsh cleaners to all the seals in the engine

with it still in the engine your method sounds good to avoid seal damage as much as possible

Old 07-17-2016, 11:57 AM
FiveOJester
Fleet Mechanic
Received 244 Likes on 189 Posts
Originally Posted by BLADE35
This is where I think a relocate kit would be Ideal you could clean the oil cooler in a better way and avoid sending any harsh cleaners to all the seals in the engine

with it still in the engine your method sounds good to avoid seal damage as much as possible
I like the idea of having it external. Too bad International didn't leave the oil cooler external like the 7.3 had. They could have easily mounted the plate style cooler in the same spot, there's a ton of room down there on the driver side.

On the 6.7 Ford went with an external plate style.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:45 PM
DickNitro
Junior User
Well it's been a week and so far I couldn't be happier with my oil cooler performance. After about 8 seconds of letting off the throttle, it will come down in temp. I've NEVER seen that as long as I've had it and now I understand how it was intended to perform.

I want to correct that the pH of my old coolant was NOT 5.5 it was 7.5. My meter wasn't calibrated at that time. I tested hardness of the old coolant at work and it was about 120. Thats not crazy hard but certainly isnt distilled water, leaving me to suspect that my issue was scale NOT metal corrosion such as aluminum oxide or ferric oxide.

Anyway, my highest delta was 9 degrees going slightly up grade with a Kubota L5030 cab tractor on my trailer on a crazy hot day. 65 mph steady unloaded yields 5 degrees and lately we've been in the upper 90's.

I just changed my oil and all was good so NO, my coolant and oil are not one huge gelatinous blob yielding the same temps by mixing through my "melted oil cooler".

I will be hauling about 5-6 tons a week until October so I will keep you guys updated.
I think it will work!!!!!

Old 07-22-2016, 09:03 PM
Tideman
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks for the post Dicknitro. Keep us informed.

Old 07-22-2016, 09:31 PM
Justin Jones
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DickNitro
Well it's been a week and so far I couldn't be happier with my oil cooler performance. After about 8 seconds of letting off the throttle, it will come down in temp. I've NEVER seen that as long as I've had it and now I understand how it was intended to perform.

I want to correct that the pH of my old coolant was NOT 5.5 it was 7.5. My meter wasn't calibrated at that time. I tested hardness of the old coolant at work and it was about 120. Thats not crazy hard but certainly isnt distilled water, leaving me to suspect that my issue was scale NOT metal corrosion such as aluminum oxide or ferric oxide.

Anyway, my highest delta was 9 degrees going slightly up grade with a Kubota L5030 cab tractor on my trailer on a crazy hot day. 65 mph steady unloaded yields 5 degrees and lately we've been in the upper 90's.

I just changed my oil and all was good so NO, my coolant and oil are not one huge gelatinous blob yielding the same temps by mixing through my "melted oil cooler".

I will be hauling about 5-6 tons a week until October so I will keep you guys updated.
I think it will work!!!!!
This could potentially be a total game changer. Thanks for posting and keeping us up to date.

Old 07-22-2016, 09:36 PM
wedge542
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is great news,alot may see this and it help in some cases, its good to see some think outside the box,how we learn new tricks sorta speak, thanks for sharing and keep us informed.

Old 04-28-2017, 03:08 PM
DickNitro
Junior User
Update-cooler still doing well

Hey all,
I haven't posted in a while and thought I ought to.

my oil cooler clean-in-place with the cleaner and shop vac seems to have nailed it and my deltas are still low about 10 months later. My deltas are seriously still about 4-6 degrees as I drive unloaded and maybe up to 8 loaded. I should also add that ford 10w30 diesel oil seems to cool easier than the 15w40 (I alternate). I'm so happy with this that I can't explain it. My truck is a beast and I'd do it again if i ever see deltas above 10 degrees.

Thanks!

-Dick

Old 04-28-2017, 03:18 PM
coolfeet
Fleet Mechanic
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Great post! My EGR cooler was leaking. I removed and replaced it and the oil cooler 11 months ago. Deltas are 4-6 degrees even climbing monster grades over 10,000 feet. Deltas hit 15 or so on the way down as the oil cools slower. The new oil and egr cooler have 16,000 miles. I put an IPR coolant filter. It's a nice filter but the workmanship is crap. After making a round trip to IPR, it still leaks/drips. The screen filter is amazing. But to tell you the truth, after no less than 20 flushes before the install,the filter is always clean when I open it. Small amounts of rust. When I first started flushing, globs of junk came out for a week as I flushed, drove, flushed, etc.

If you ever do a flush, do it with the IPR filter to catch the junk. Maybe they are sending out the units without leaking valves. They get a little touchy when you mention the valves leak and advise me to check my thread sealer. I tried teflon tape, teflon paste, and nothing worked as the unit has tapered threads and the valves are non-tapered. Genius-not!

I flushed with reverse osmosis water and restore. This may sound weird, but I also flushed with Amway liquid organic cleaner after the restore. I heard people using Simple Green. I added a tablespoon of non-sudsing Amway Liquid organic cleaner left over from my Amway membership 20 years ago! Cannot tell you if it did anything. Figured it would clean anything greasy out of the system. My Ford Master Tech said to skip the VC9 flush after everything I did because the system was so clean. He said I might clog the heater cores.

I plan on changing out the ELC at 30,000 miles. It's still cheaper than an oil change!

If any of your buddies start bad mouthing your 6.0 let them know many including my van has 800,000 miles on it. The engine is not a factory crate engine. It was owned by an airport shuttle company and probably was either used or rebuilt. It's old. Has leaks here and there. But runs like an aging athlete-slow and steady.

Old 04-28-2017, 08:18 PM
Tideman
Fleet Mechanic
Dick, thanks a lot for doing an update on this.

Old 04-28-2017, 10:48 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Interesting , Subscribing

Old 03-29-2018, 12:58 PM
JoshC017
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How are things looking almost a year later?

Old 03-29-2018, 01:04 PM
DickNitro
Junior User
Deltas are about 4-6* a part cruising. Still good with Ford gold and distilled. I'm convinced the majority of this issue comes from people or shops using hose water. I'm sure it was calcium scale in mine

Old 03-29-2018, 01:07 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,491 Likes on 1,728 Posts
Originally Posted by DickNitro
Hey all,
I haven't posted in a while and thought I ought to.

my oil cooler clean-in-place with the cleaner and shop vac seems to have nailed it and my deltas are still low about 10 months later. My deltas are seriously still about 4-6 degrees as I drive unloaded and maybe up to 8 loaded. I should also add that ford 10w30 diesel oil seems to cool easier than the 15w40 (I alternate). I'm so happy with this that I can't explain it. My truck is a beast and I'd do it again if i ever see deltas above 10 degrees.

Thanks!

-Dick
Could you describe what you mean by "loaded". Do you tow heavy loads? If so, how much and what is your differential (max) when towing heavy?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Un-clogged my oil cooler