1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

'56 On Going Battle

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 03:45 PM
ImSoQuazy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
People, this is CRAZY!
I'm gonna leave out the meat and potatoes and just say that after replacing the module, pick up, rotor, cap, coil, cables and spark plugs there is STILL NO POWER!
Rather than go off on a profanity rant...
I'm hanging up - (I know I'm not on the phone...)
Later,
Paul

Old 07-06-2016, 04:01 PM
hoss73ford
Elder User
Nice truck. Dig the wide whites & hubcaps on the stock rims & yellow is a good color. Looks like both your truck and your child (from the look on his face) weren't having a good day. Hope you get it on the road again soon.

Old 07-06-2016, 04:46 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 608 Likes on 378 Posts
You need to use a methodical troubleshooting method, rather than firing the parts cannon. Start at the fusebox or wherever power comes into the cab, and trace it thru each circuit, find out where it stops. If your wiring is in wrapped bundles going across the engine to the distributor, I think you may want to cut it open and take a look.

Old 07-06-2016, 06:17 PM
seaves46
Laughing Gas
Received 83 Likes on 40 Posts
Try disconnecting your coil and run a hot wire from the coil to your battery .
Also I would check the drive on the bottom of your distributor as cams can sometimes chew them up , is your rotor turning when you crank the engine ?

Old 07-06-2016, 06:19 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 608 Likes on 378 Posts
Originally Posted by seaves46
Try disconnecting your coil and run a hot wire from the coil to your battery .
Also I would check the drive on the bottom of your distributor as cams can sometimes chew them up , is your rotor turning when you crank the engine ?
He has an electronic ignition so I don't know about connecting directly to the coil. But good point on the dizzy gear, Professional Products are not known for high quality components.

Old 07-06-2016, 06:34 PM
seaves46
Laughing Gas
Ross it won't harm anything , as electronic ign coils require a full 12v to operate correctly .
That brings me to another question , I hope the ignition circuit isn't running through a ballast resistor , as electronic ignition will not function correctly if it is .

Old 07-06-2016, 07:13 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
If that engine chewed up the distributor and cam gear before, are we certain it is ok now? In time? Was the cam and distributor gear both replaced?

Old 07-12-2016, 07:59 AM
ImSoQuazy
Senior User
In Case you are wondering...

She is still lifeless!

Ross, I can't come up with any other methods of troubleshooting. But remember who's typing - Yikes! My wiring is all separated - no bundles anywhere. So Ross, if by chance I should have to fire that parts cannon once more I am considering aiming it at a more reliable household name for a distributor... Any suggestions? Is MSD the only way to go? So dang $$$!

hoss73ford - Thank you for the compliment. She sure is pretty and makes me smile A LOT when we are cruising around town
unattached to a freakin Tow Truck

seaves46 - What would this accomplish? "Try disconnecting your coil and run a hot wire from the coil to your battery" What would I be looking for?

raytasch - Yes to all your questions (and the cam/dist gears match) however, as Ross indicates, Professional Products may not be...

My wife is tired and wishes something more reliable (I don't blame her) so to keep the peace (and the truck), I forked out for a 2015 Murano before she suggests the truck might have to go up for sale..!
Ross, again I may have fired too soon. But hey, I REALLY like her cooking and most definitely enjoy sleeping next to her! Plus, she helped bring Sebastian into our world.

Thank you FTE friends

Old 07-12-2016, 03:23 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Hi Paul, I'm sorry your having such a headache with your truck. All I can add is what I did when I pulled out the stock set up on my 302. At the time the only HEI I could find for Ford was made by Proform, a 1 wire distributer 2 if you count the Tach. output, and then I got a 1 wire 100 amp alternator from Speedway. I haven't had a lick of trouble with it in the aprox 10 years its been in there. Im sure there are several other brands that do Fords now but Summit carries Proform along with the rest if you want to take a look. There price (Proform) is good enough that I carry a new cap/coil tune up kit just in case. The 1 wire set up was a piece of cake even for me. You just cant keep the external v regulator or balace resistor if I remember correctly. If you do go with a different system do your homework b4 install as always (my mind has lots of blank spots). Whatever you end up doing best of luck my friend

Old 07-12-2016, 05:00 PM
seaves46
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by ImSoQuazy
In Case you are wondering...

She is still lifeless!

seaves46 - What would this accomplish? "Try disconnecting your coil and run a hot wire from the coil to your battery" What would I be looking for?

Thank you FTE friends
It would eliminate any faults within your trucks wiring if you have any .
Are you running a ballast resistor in your ignition circuit ? , as you should not be if your running an electronic dizzy .

Old 07-24-2016, 07:09 AM
ImSoQuazy
Senior User
Update:

So I ordered an affordable (no name brand) distributor for trouble shooting - as the original Ford set up is no longer available to me - (that went by the way side in the beginning...)

Dropped the $40 distributor in and Tada! She started tight up. Set the timing and we are up and running again. Who wants to go for a Root-beer Float?

I don't know (in fact, won't even try to explain the dang gremlins...) but it's working again. But for how long? I have no experience with the "foreign made dizzy) and I presume someday in the near future when I least expect it it too will leave me stranded - then again maybe it won't!

On the brighter side, the wife has approved the ordering of an MSD Distributor in the future should this one fail. Oh, and I did ensure the gears matched...

Thank you ALL for being here for me.
Paul

Sebastian & I took our 1st ride in months to the Splash Pad. Folks, if I said to you that he missed the truck at this early age... would you believe it?
Again, thank you friends.

Thank you for fixing the truck, Dad!

Old 07-24-2016, 08:40 AM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts
He looks like a happy little fellow, good to hear you are up and running again and have found the end of your problems. Have a good day.

Old 07-24-2016, 11:38 AM
mOROTBREATH
Cargo Master
Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts
Awesome Paul, sound like you needed that truck fixed more than anybody,

Let me know the next time you attend a show or cruise night, maybe I'll meet you out there.

Old 07-24-2016, 01:05 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Yippy, cool ,rite on, neato pie super jet, etc etc. I knew you would find it., now your ready for some more family trips in that beautiful truck of yours.

Old 07-25-2016, 12:03 PM
hoss73ford
Elder User
Sebastian---good name. He is a happy little fellow.
My '66 F250 is named that, plus there have been a couple family pets named that over the years and I also live in Sebastian County (Arkansas)
Glad you have it back on the road. Cheers !

Quick Reply: '56 On Going Battle