Large Truck My truck is bigger than yours. The forum for 2+ ton trucks (all years), COE's, Louisville's, Big-Job's etc.

Spark plug blowout nightmare.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 04:16 AM
MrBurgz
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spark plug blowout nightmare.

My spark plug blow out of my Ford Econoline!

This mechanic fixed my brake line with air in the line! Right there I saw that as a red light. I was a week without my truck and needed for work. I told myself I'll come back soon so that he can fix it.

I'd say about 100 miles after picking up my truck that had a bad brake line and a blown spark plug, the plug blow again! I then asked the mechanic what can we do at this point?

This guy already took my money so I told myself I'm not given up. I guess since he did such a ***** job on my brakes, he probably did not add the right amount of torque to the spark plug. My truck runs BEAUTIFULLY. All we have to deal with is this spark plug.

He says to bring the truck to him. Another $375 tow. Since my father was helping me with the bill, he recommended this piece of ***** and I went with it. So now, to avoid the tow for a second time, the mechanic comes to me/truck.

So that I can make it to his shop, 20 minutes away, he comes up with this. He adds JB Weld to a piece that screws onto the spark plug (forgot the name of the kit but it has a few different size ring thingy that'll screw onto the spark plug). Now he screws the spark plug in. He explains to me, because the blown spark plug messed up the threading, so we made new threads, and the JB Weld will help to keep it in place. Not to turn the truck on for about 2 days. Let the JB Weld dry up and then drive it to me. COOL!

He came on Sunday and got that done. I waited till Friday. 6 days later, I turn her up and started making my way. To add some comedy to this trip, the ignition coil was still plugged in. At the same time it was touching some metal that eventually leg to some more metal/tools as those parts were touching my ankle, SLIGHTLY. Mannnn, I kept getting shocked! As I'm pulling over, my girlfriend, who was in back of me, saw the truck pulling over but it kept jerking back into the road. She started crying when j mentioned how j was getting shocked, she said yes!!!! That is the best way to put it. As if the truck was getting schooked itself! 😂😂😂. Now I'm pulled over, making an effort to disconnect the coil, I just kept getting shocked. I can't remember what it was that was touching me but I had that inside cabin sloppy. Tools everywhere. Back to the nightmare.

So now I am on the road/highway. The truck is not running to bad. All I was missing was to put the coil on top. At that time I didn't know any better. A month and a half later and now I'm an expert. I then call the mechanic. "Hey Mike. So I'm heading to your shop, I'll park the truck in the same spot and if your not there I'll give the keys to the gas attendant." Can you believe this mechanic sounded surprised asking if the truck is really making it?!? I'm like, uhhhh yea. Isn't that the whole idea of you coming to me a week ago. So now I'm telling myself how this is another red flag on this guy.

My baby made it. I drove nice and easy, I little bit slower then usually but we made it. No problems. Truck ran the same the entire way there. Never made any bad adjustments. So Mr. Mechanic. I really don't want you touching my truck. After I gave you a truck with NO brake line, your overall work speaks for itself. If you didn't take the time to bleed the brakes so that I didn't have to pump them just to stop, what makes you think you were paying attention to how much torque the spark plug was getting?

Truck and keys are in their position again. This time, my father, the retired Police Lieutenant that lives zero point four miles away, was asked to make sure he does it right this time, however, I don't want him to rush it either. Take your time and do EVERYTHING right.

A few days pass. My father calls me up because this mechanic never picks for me. Says ok, the mechanic is going to WELD your spark plug into the head or where ever. And that it could never blow. But when that spark plug needs to be changed, it will require some work. I don't know what to do, he's the mechanic. So I said, sounds good. He had my truck for a month and a half. The battery is dead so he can't move the truck to where his machine is to weld the plug, he was sick, sorry it's busy. All this for a month and a half! No work truck. Finally he tells me come on a Saturday.

I come, get the truck. 20 minutes away and BOOM. Plug is blown again. I'm on the phone with my father saying the coil looks loose! It was and eventually it passed the screw that was holding it in place to. As I pulled the could out, along came the spark plug with it.

He didn't weld anything! He left the spark plug with the JB Weld and just through my old ignition coil on top. So now I want to get it to a mechanic by me. So I added a plastic JB Weld on the coil because it had a crack in part that gets screwed in. I added a washer and tighten it. That piece wasn't going anywhere. I also added a crap full of tinfoil on top of the coil to insure that it wouldn't move at all. As I am driving to about 7 miles away, it's low on power but the trucks making it. As soon as I get 4 blocks away from my home, the entire bracket on the coil breaks. At that moment I look to my left and see a nice parking for the truck. As soon as I pull in, I shut the truck off and saw a spark from the tinfoil. The truck did shut off kinda weird as well.

Now the truck doesn't want to turn on. It feels like no fuel is getting into. I added a cleane and the spray. She sounds like she'll turn on but in a bad way. Feel like I am forcing it to break something else.

I was told that he should have changed the head instead of trying to rethread it. Especially after knowing that we made an attempt to. Now I have to move the truck ASAP.

Does it sound like a fuse blow? That is why I am not getting any fuel for the truck to turn on? After seeing that spark, that is what I thought. That a simple fuse blow.

Is there an ignition coil with a metal bracket? I saw a yellow super duty one. Can't see if it's metal or not.

Old 06-22-2016, 08:27 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
I saw your other two posts, and they were incomplete, so this is the latest, but still looks like it doesn't end right

What engine is this? I'm guessing it's a 4.6, 5.4 or 6.8? Once I know, we can move this to the correct forum.

Oh, and WELCOME to FTE!