Bronco 2.0 - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bronco 2.0

Old 07-26-2016, 11:30 PM
Elder User

Raleigh1 has a great reputation on FTE.Raleigh1 has a great reputation on FTE.Raleigh1 has a great reputation on FTE.Raleigh1 has a great reputation on FTE.Raleigh1 has a great reputation on FTE.
Well I passed the point of no return today, cut 18" off the frame, damn I am getting excited!

Old 07-30-2016, 05:01 PM
Elder User

Raleigh1 has a great reputation on FTE.Raleigh1 has a great reputation on FTE.Raleigh1 has a great reputation on FTE.Raleigh1 has a great reputation on FTE.Raleigh1 has a great reputation on FTE.
Working on the floors I discovered I needed to replace the rockers to attach the floor supports. I had planned on doing this anyhow just not so early in the project. To I cut out the rockers and tacked in the steel, need to trim it down but want to make sure the length is right since I don't plan to use these fiberglass fenders. Also gave me a chance to check the body for square, all looks good!

Old 07-31-2016, 07:50 PM
Elder User

bigzirb has much to be proud ofbigzirb has much to be proud ofbigzirb has much to be proud ofbigzirb has much to be proud ofbigzirb has much to be proud ofbigzirb has much to be proud ofbigzirb has much to be proud ofbigzirb has much to be proud ofbigzirb has much to be proud ofbigzirb has much to be proud of
Sweet looking setup. How much extra frame is sticking out of the front so far?
Old 08-01-2016, 09:39 PM
Elder User

Cut the inner fenders on the front clip and mocked up the grill and measured for the radiator.
Look at the width difference! Wow!
Looks like i'll be chopping about 6" off the frame in the front soon too.

Old 08-03-2016, 11:46 PM
Elder User

Worked on the floor supports today, got all 3 done and ready for the floors.
They will need to be finish welded once the tub comes off the frame.
Before the floors can go in I need to repair the kick panels, I also have new front door supports on the way, probably do those before the front floor pans as well.

Clears the NP435 no problem
Old 08-03-2016, 11:52 PM
Elder User

1985 Bronco is starting off with a positive reputation.
Looking good! Must have been pretty nerve racking cutting the frame down
Old 08-04-2016, 03:41 PM

phillips91 has much to be proud ofphillips91 has much to be proud ofphillips91 has much to be proud ofphillips91 has much to be proud ofphillips91 has much to be proud ofphillips91 has much to be proud ofphillips91 has much to be proud ofphillips91 has much to be proud ofphillips91 has much to be proud of
Hate to see the white one rolled like that, but the new build is looking good!
Old 08-04-2016, 11:40 PM
Elder User

Got the new front springs in today, they were a bit taller than I wanted so I moved the spring buckets up on the frame.
She sits just right now, need to bend the track bar to clear the axle, be doing that Saturday, love getting these little projects done!

Old 08-08-2016, 12:13 AM
Elder User

Got some work done this weekend, mostly worked on the rear floor and wheel wells.
I am narrowing the wheel wells as I don't need the full depth with the full width axles.
I was able to create an additional 7.5" of space between the wheel wells, enough to fit my rear seat.

I started by removing the entire floor and cutting down the wheel wells

Mocking up the wheel wells, I missed the cut on these so I have to fill the seam with about an inch of sheet metal, no big deal, just a bit more work

Also need to get a patch panel for the center of the floor as well as fab a splice for the floor support

And here is a pic of the ride height of the rig, this looks a bit high but it is lower from frame to axle than a stock full size
Old 08-08-2016, 10:29 PM
Elder User

Door posts came in today, couldn't resist messing around!
Got the driver side pretty well done, fits well, quality parts for sure.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:42 PM
Elder User

Both door posts and the front floor pans are in.
The floors are just tacked for now, they needed some modification but they fit pretty well.

Old 08-14-2016, 08:30 PM
Elder User

Made some progress today, not as much as I wanted but I wasn't feeling 100%.

I picked up some fenders thanks to a member of the Utah Bronco Club, and they are perfect. I couldn't see getting new fenders or even paying big money for a set of uncut fenders just to cut them so these are just right. They were already cut so they just needed a bit of trimming to clear my axle which is slightly forward of stock.
The approach angle is going to be great, excited to see this coming together!

I was also able to cut the sliders to length.

To cool the 408 I wanted to keep a big radiator but the FSB radiator had the tanks on top and bottom and would have hung 8" below the core support. I picked up this Be Kool radiator that has the tanks on the ends but has the same surface area as the FSB radiator.
I had to modify the core support by cutting the opening to allow more air flow, also had to notch the frame for the tank to slip down enough to clear the hood, details on that later. I will have enough room for a dual electric fan set up.

Another thing I got done was the core support mounts, simple but effective!
Old 08-16-2016, 12:00 AM
Elder User

Got a bit of work done this afternoon.
Cut and tacked the passenger inner fender well and the cut and welded in the wheel well for clearance.

Old 08-20-2016, 05:58 PM
Elder User

I was able to get the rear area all tacked in today, really opened it up.
I put a couple of extra floor supports under the seams, I will get some pics of those when I take the body off the frame which might be next weekend.

Old 08-21-2016, 06:46 PM
Elder User

Got the main hoops for the cage bent today, they are a little long but I don't have the top yet so I wanted to make sure they were long enough.
I haven't bent pipe for about 10 years so pretty happy with the out come. Most of the rest of the cage will be straights, simple.