6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Random/Hot no start

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 10:52 PM
Bvteachey05
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Random/Hot no start

Hey guys, new to the forum. I've got an 05 F250, 6.0 75k miles with a random no start, that I'm starting to think is related to the engine being warm. It's happened on four occasions now. I should preface the following by saying the original owner told me he thought the lift pump was weak. I've owned it for 4 months or so and it was running well up until the last few times I've drove it.

First trip out, I drove about 15 miles down the interstate, stopped to grab a bite to eat, which probably took 30 minutes, and then went out to a truck that wouldn't start. I tried off and on to crank it and assumed maybe the way I was parked on a hill was causing the "weak" pump to act up. Meanwhile the batteries were getting weak. I pushed it down the hill and in front of a pump where I filled it up, got a jump from my dad who was local, (all taking about 30 minutes) and it fired like new.

At this point I'm thinking maybe weak battery voltage is a problem.

Second trip out, I ran my dog to the vet. Again 15 miles or so. Inside 30 minutes, come back out, no start, batteries wouldn't crank it within 4-5 tries. Didn't have time to fool with it and my wife was nearby so she picked me up and ran the dog by the house before running some errands, jumped in my company truck and went back to it. At this point it's been sitting for a couple hours. Hooked jumper cables to it, and it fires up again like new.

At this point I'm thinking I really need to replace these batteries. I don't drive it much so while it was parked I put it on a trickle charger to maintain voltage. Although I'm also thinking the fuel pump may also be the culprit just because at this point initially the batteries were pretty strong in both cases and it didn't start right up.

Third time out, drove it to Dads today for lunch, sat for around an hour. Dad asks me to help him pull a trailer around the yard. Starts no problem. Move the trailer, cut the truck off during move, starts up like normal. Drove back to the driveway, say our goodbyes and jump back in to leave and no start. So.. Hooked jumper cables to it, which at this point the batteries seem fully charged but just doing it anyway, still no start. So my dad says let's give it a shot of starting fluid (I know, I know). First turn of the key cranks right up. Drive for about 100 miles after cranking without shutting it off, pull back in the driveway at dads one more time, shut it down and jokingly thought let me try it now. No start! Went inside, stayed 2+ hours, come back to it, and it fires up again like new.

So earlier today (3rd no start) I'm thinking lack of fuel pressure. Although in between all these no starts, I've driven the truck 10+ times. But the last time today, it definitely cooled off and fired up immediately, without jumping. Leading me to think that on the first two no starts it eventually cranked because it cooled down, the 3rd and first no start of the day, the starting fluid did the trick, like I said the second time today, the engine had cooled again. Making me think it's warm engine related. I've done some reading and I've got some theories, just really looking for thoughts/opinions. I'm going to pick up a scangauge2 tomorrow, just to have one. I'm sure I may learn some things watching it operate. Thoughts? Thanks

Old 06-19-2016, 11:51 PM
LindenBruce
Laughing Gas
Received 224 Likes on 148 Posts
Okay, first thing is to check your HPOP pressures. I don't remember if its ICP or IPR. I believe it's ICP. ICP should have a PSI value. And IPR should have a percentage value. You will see. I get them confused all the time and I just went through this with my truck (LOL) check out my thread "No start hot". You need at least 500PSI before the computer will trigger the injectors to fire.

Don't buy anything until you get your scanner going and get some numbers. My truck would have a long crank cold. Once hot it usually would not start. Let it sit for a few hours to cool down then a long crank and she would start. When the oil is cooler it is thicker and thus the leaks are not as detrimental and she will build enough pressure to fire the injectors.

Also, try and update your profile to list your state and city too. No one here is going to come and steal your 6.0(LOL). That way people can see where you are and someone might be close and willing to come and help out. Bruce

Old 06-20-2016, 12:42 AM
brandonrr
More Turbo
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Although less likely than high pressure oil problems, it may be your tune/tuner if you have one.

I had an intermittent no hot start. I drove my truck over 100 miles to get to a reputable ford diesel mechanic. After the lead mechanic looked at all my gauges, he suggested reloading the tune. Sure enough, i put it back to stock and then re-loaded my daily drive tune. No problems after that.

If you aren't tuned or that doesn't work, i would suspect a high pressure oil leak, followed by weak batteries.

I went from cranking for 5-12 seconds when already hot to cranking in 1-2 seconds when i bought new batteries for my 6.0. The faster cranking speed is to thank for that. Now it starts jist as fast hot as it does cold.

What you need to do is is get some kind of OBD2 monitor, such as torque pro or a scangauge 2, that will show high pressure oil. To rule out a small leak that makes for hard hot starts, you want to see ICP .21-.23 at hot idle. Anything more and you'll be looking at oil rail standpipes and/or dummy plugs.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:16 AM
FordBlueHeart
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Classic hot/no start. As stated above, you need to monitor some functions. It's a very important first step before causing possible damage that is costly. Read as much as you can in the Tech folder sticky on the main page then look for recent threads that have similar symptoms. Once you've done that, if you have questions, ask away! Lots of knowledge is readily available.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:37 AM
Bvteachey05
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brandonrr I don't have any kind of tuner hooked to it. As far as I know this truck is completely stock minus MBRP exhaust. I'm leaning toward hpop leak. I think that's why it's simulating no fuel, but when sprayed with starting fluid it cranks. SF makes the engine spin fast upon firing and shows a higher oil pressure opening the injectors.. I'm headed to get a scangauge now though. We'll see before the days over

Old 06-20-2016, 09:03 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
stop using starter fluid... its not good.