National Forest trip

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 05:21 PM
Traildust
Mountain Pass
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I can understand that, moving around from one state to another that's just one more thing to not worry about.
Bill

The following users liked this post:
Old 09-01-2017, 05:31 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,496 Likes on 1,305 Posts
Here are a few pics from our Beartooth scenic drive. I say that this is one of my favorite drives now and if anyone is near this byway it is well worth the time. I took the dually for a change the climb from Red lodge to the summit that at times the dually tire took up from center line to guard rail line with the the guard rail right there... no room for error. .

This was at the summit and after a long time wanting to see a Pika my first one spotted in the below pic with a close-up from that pic.

For the guys in the east that haven't been in the open range areas this is what can be standing in the road when you come around the curve.

This is Grizzly country.

Enjoy!

Old 09-01-2017, 06:27 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,693 Likes on 2,750 Posts
Out of state fishing licenses are expensive, especially the annual licenses. I get an annual license for Wyoming and Colorado only because I know I'll be there more than once.

Old 09-02-2017, 01:02 PM
Traildust
Mountain Pass
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I like the shot of the Pika, I hear them a lot on the trail when hiking but don't see them as much. We do see a lot of the pesky Marmots mainly in the more rocky areas of the Sierra, they have acquired the name of Rock Beavers by a lot of backpackers and folklore has it that they actually built the Sierra Nevada.
Bill

Old 09-02-2017, 04:20 PM
95F350CC
Mountain Pass
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow, Wonderful adventure you are on Scraprat!
I drove over Beartooth and Chief Joseph highways back in '95 when my truck was new pulling a tent trailer. Don't think I would do it again pulling the 5th wheel, not with the 95 anyway.
Thanks for keeping us updated.

Larry

Old 09-05-2017, 05:20 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Traildust
I like the shot of the Pika, I hear them a lot on the trail when hiking but don't see them as much. We do see a lot of the pesky Marmots mainly in the more rocky areas of the Sierra, they have acquired the name of Rock Beavers by a lot of backpackers and folklore has it that they actually built the Sierra Nevada.
Bill
We've been looking for pikas for a couple years now and finally got to see one.
Rock beavers I like that.

Old 09-05-2017, 05:22 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by HRTKD
Out of state fishing licenses are expensive, especially the annual licenses. I get an annual license for Wyoming and Colorado only because I know I'll be there more than once.
Any non resident tag either hunting or fishing can get a little expensive.

Old 09-05-2017, 05:32 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by 95F350CC
Wow, Wonderful adventure you are on Scraprat!
I drove over Beartooth and Chief Joseph highways back in '95 when my truck was new pulling a tent trailer. Don't think I would do it again pulling the 5th wheel, not with the 95 anyway.
Thanks for keeping us updated.

Larry
Thanks, I was going to take the 5th wheel from Red Lodge towards Cooke City and decided not to do it. I'll go up and around towards Gardiner and find somewhere outside Yellowstone there some NF and BLM.
As far as taking the 5th wheel over the Beartooth the only sign I found was on the Wyoming side where the 2 byways meet and that only recommended no vehicles over 40'.

Old 09-05-2017, 06:03 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Stage 1 fire restrictions was activated for this area.
Had to pull out the campfire in a can for some early morning/ nighttime ambiance.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:29 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,693 Likes on 2,750 Posts
Wow, no generator use in dispersed camping. That would be tough. I have a single solar panel that might recharge far enough if the sky was clear. But without the generator I can't run the microwave or coffee maker. That would be a problem.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:30 AM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Odd that they specify welding with an open flame or using an acetylene torch. I am surprised that it made the list.

Old 09-06-2017, 01:41 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by brandon_oma#692
Odd that they specify welding with an open flame or using an acetylene torch. I am surprised that it made the list.
You have to look at the top of those columns, I guess if your paying to stay they'll give you a little something to feel you're getting your monies worth. Some of these areas we go to we'll pass right by these nf campgrounds which have no amenities other than a campfire ring and possible a picnic table. Then charge $15-20 a night when you can go a little further and pay nothing. More room for me, Thanks.
I think by now with some of my camp sites shown you can see that a bigger rig can get in and out.

Old 09-06-2017, 01:51 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Wow, no generator use in dispersed camping. That would be tough. I have a single solar panel that might recharge far enough if the sky was clear. But without the generator I can't run the microwave or coffee maker. That would be a problem.
I actually talked to a ranger that was checking camp sites out over the holiday weekend about the generators. What he said was he himself would probably say nothing if it was in a back of a truck or in a 5' circular area that was completely clear of vegetation and had a approved spark arrestor on it, BUT that doesn't mean the next ranger through might write you a ticket. He said if you follow what the posted sign says you can't go wrong. Don't forget because there is no posted sign its your responsibility to check with the ranger station or web site to now the rules for that paticular national forest.

Old 09-06-2017, 02:19 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
I've spent some time hiking in backcountry and designated Wilderness areas, never saw anybody with welding equipment. "It's not the Acetylene tank that bothers me, it's that dang Victor torch set bangin' around in the toolbox that's slowin' me down!"

No motorized equipment was always standard in the designated Wilderness areas - like generators or chainsaws. Never heard anything about "mechanized" prohibition though; that would technically mean no wind up or even electronic watches, flashlights, and cell phones, all kinds of stuff. Give those yuppies a real Wilderness experience!

Pointy stick and a loincloth, maybe a knife and a muzzleloader. No nylon or synthetics, plastics, etc. Leather, wool, furs. That'd keep the riff-raff out.

Old 09-06-2017, 02:42 PM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I ran into the coffee maker problem camping in Grand Teton NP. Now we carry a Melitta ten cup pour over maker. https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...MaAmUNEALw_wcB
Microwave? Get over it. LOL!

Quick Reply: National Forest trip