1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

COWL VENT AND SEAT HEIGHT

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 01:20 PM
mgerdau
Mountain Pass
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
COWL VENT AND SEAT HEIGHT

Finally, after 3 years I was able to drive my 55 F350 Flatbed down the road, Bertha didn't run when I bought her and she hadn't ran for decades but yesterday down the road she went. However, the work doesn't end yet. The seats, which I had replaced one broken spring and then put 4" foam on the seat and 2" foam on the back, then covered it with a seat cover from LMC Trucks, the seat seemed awfully low. My wife said I looked like a little kid barely able to see over the steering wheel. So first question does anyone know what the seat height is suppose to be for a 55 F350? I assume it would be the same for a F100 - F350.

Next question, the cowl vent wasn't connected besides the majority of the parts were missing. I've found all of the parts except the curved lift arm; Midfifty calls it the "Moon" arm. Does anyone know of a template I could use to make a lift arm or where I might find the lift arm?

Still struggling with the heater fan motor.

Old 06-16-2016, 03:30 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Originally Posted by mgerdau
Finally, after 3 years I was able to drive my 55 F350 Flatbed down the road, Bertha didn't run when I bought her and she hadn't ran for decades but yesterday down the road she went. However, the work doesn't end yet. The seats, which I had replaced one broken spring and then put 4" foam on the seat and 2" foam on the back, then covered it with a seat cover from LMC Trucks, the seat seemed awfully low. My wife said I looked like a little kid barely able to see over the steering wheel. So first question does anyone know what the seat height is suppose to be for a 55 F350? I assume it would be the same for a F100 - F350.

Next question, the cowl vent wasn't connected besides the majority of the parts were missing. I've found all of the parts except the curved lift arm; Midfifty calls it the "Moon" arm. Does anyone know of a template I could use to make a lift arm or where I might find the lift arm?

Still struggling with the heater fan motor.
The seats are the same F-100 thru F350 and probably up to F800, for sure up to F600. I can't believe after 4" of foam you sit too low. I rebuilt my seat and put 2" of foam and I think I sit too high.

Are your springs sagging?

Is it the original seat?

show us some pics of your seat and also of the truck!

Old 06-16-2016, 03:44 PM
mgerdau
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by abe
The seats are the same F-100 thru F350 and probably up to F800, for sure up to F600. I can't believe after 4" of foam you sit too low. I rebuilt my seat and put 2" of foam and I think I sit too high.

Are your springs sagging?

Is it the original seat?

show us some pics of your seat and also of the truck!
No the springs aren't sagging, only had one broken spring.

Is the seat original? Good question. It was in the truck when I bought it but who knows if its original. I'm questioning if it is although in the seat upholstery video I watched it certainly looked the same and that was a F100 seat. Although, I can't bolt it down front and back, I can only bolt it in the back or in the front; the seat rail just doesn't reach to do both. And the LMC seat cover fit like a glove.

I'll get some pics today.

Old 06-16-2016, 11:19 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
It has been my experience that 15 inches at the front edge of the seat is optimal for most folks.

Old 06-16-2016, 11:48 PM
mgerdau
Mountain Pass
CharlieLed, thanks for that I'll measure tomorrow.

Old 06-19-2016, 09:38 PM
mgerdau
Mountain Pass
Well, tried to take a picture but my phone is doing it's own thing; I believe I've sat on it too many times.

But I did measure and my seat is 3 inches too low. I'm going to weld some 3" x 3" tubing on the bottom of the seat.

New deal: Does anyone know where the horn wire goes? I figure it must come up the steering column but don't know where it starts at. Nothing was together when I purchased the truck so I'm at a loss.

Old 06-20-2016, 12:51 AM
thomasstemmle
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, tried to take a picture but my phone is doing it's own thing; I believe I've sat on it too many times.

But I did measure and my seat is 3 inches too low. I'm going to weld some 3" x 3" tubing on the bottom of the seat.

New deal: Does anyone know where the horn wire goes? I figure it must come up the steering column but don't know where it starts at. Nothing was together when I purchased the truck so I'm at a loss.
Definitely post a pic of your seat with tracks. It sounds like maybe you are missing part of the seat track? Is your seat adjustable, or is the frame attached directly to the floor?

Do you have a horn wire at all? It has a special part at the horn that fits in the horn plate to keep it from falling down the steering column. When it comes out the column, it should go to the drivers side fender, to your drivers side horn, under the upper valence through some wire clips, to the horn on the passenger side. This is all I can remember off hand.

Old 06-20-2016, 12:52 AM
thomasstemmle
Senior User
Also, there are some decent priced cowl vent with handles on fleabay at the moment

Old 06-20-2016, 10:14 AM
Nojive55
Senior User
If you haven't found that cowl vent bow and they are the came 53-56, pm me with your address and I'll send you one. I bought a handle and got a spare bow.
On a side note, it is amazing how fast these posts get buried.

Old 06-20-2016, 10:17 AM
mgerdau
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by thomasstemmle
Definitely post a pic of your seat with tracks. It sounds like maybe you are missing part of the seat track? Is your seat adjustable, or is the frame attached directly to the floor?

Do you have a horn wire at all? It has a special part at the horn that fits in the horn plate to keep it from falling down the steering column. When it comes out the column, it should go to the drivers side fender, to your drivers side horn, under the upper valence through some wire clips, to the horn on the passenger side. This is all I can remember off hand.
No horn wire at all. After checking my Master Parts and Accessories Catalog I found I'm missing 5 parts which I've found on Dennis Carpenter's site.

Good info about the cowl vent. I ordered a lift handle from Mid-Fifty on Friday. I'll check fleabay and see if I can find one cheaper. When I do get one I think I'll make a template and post it on here. Probably the easiest thing to make and it seems pretty silly to pay $50 for one.

I'm going to have my wife take some pictures of the seat. The seat does adjust. But the mounting holes don't reach all 3 of the holes (two in the back and one up front). I can either mount the seat at the rear holes or the front hole but not all of the holes.

Old 06-20-2016, 10:21 AM
mgerdau
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Nojive55
If you haven't found that cowl vent bow and they are the came 53-56, pm me with your address and I'll send you one. I bought a handle and got a spare bow.
On a side note, it is amazing how fast these posts get buried.
SWEET! Will do!

Old 06-20-2016, 02:17 PM
thomasstemmle
Senior User
No horn wire at all. After checking my Master Parts and Accessories Catalog I found I'm missing 5 parts which I've found on Dennis Carpenter's site.

I'm going to have my wife take some pictures of the seat. The seat does adjust. But the mounting holes don't reach all 3 of the holes (two in the back and one up front). I can either mount the seat at the rear holes or the front hole but not all of the holes.
For the horn, try to find the kit that has the contact plate and other small parts inside steering wheel that you will need.
Sounds like not the original bench if the mounting holes dont line up

Old 06-20-2016, 04:02 PM
mgerdau
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by thomasstemmle
For the horn, try to find the kit that has the contact plate and other small parts inside steering wheel that you will need.
Sounds like not the original bench if the mounting holes dont line up
Yeah, I'm coming to the same conclusion that its not the original seat. Most likely from a car. Anyway with a MIG I can do almost anything.

I'll check around to see if there is a "horn kit" MidFifty and Dennis Carpenter sell everything separately.

Old 06-20-2016, 06:40 PM
thomasstemmle
Senior User
Old 06-20-2016, 06:44 PM
thomasstemmle
Senior User
Are you 6V or 12V? Do you have the horns? How is your headlight harness?

Quick Reply: COWL VENT AND SEAT HEIGHT