1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mag-Hy-Tech Covers

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 07:33 AM
snoball1974
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
Is that so? Ask Mark K about it...
yes it is so. I didn't write the above debated posts.....I'm just reading them. One guy says it works and the other says it don't. I don't need to ask Mark K, who ever that is. I am just making an observing statement of what this post is telling me. I'm not arguing either side because I don't what is the right answer. And still don't know.

Old 06-17-2016, 07:54 AM
bobv60
Fleet Mechanic
Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
All it does is take longer for more oil to get hot. It doesn't cool the oil.
And more oil will disapate more heat. Again, why does the powerstroke take over 3 gallons of oil when the same diplacement gas engine take 5 or 6 quarts

Old 06-17-2016, 07:57 AM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by stufarmer
2015 F250 4wd. 6.2 3:73 ( plenty of power )

I'm preparing our Truck for a Florida to Alaska road trip. We'll be towing a 8k + Arctic Fox Travel Trailer. I've just ordered a new Rear Mag-Hy-Tech Diff Cover and Transmission Pan. The Diff Cover holds an additional 2 quarts of fluid. I've used one in the past and know it's worth every cent when you're towing.
The Transmission Pan holds additional 2 1/2 quarts of fluid for extra Cooling.
I've never used one of these. Has anyone ?
Is it worth it ?
I'd say that since you've already bought it you might as well use it. I'm sure having more fluid to distribute the heat is going to be of some benefit. Without definitive tests under controlled conditions nobody can say for sure one way or the other.
I wonder, with all the attention paid to the transmission and rear differential, why ignore the front differential?

Old 06-17-2016, 08:40 AM
bobv60
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by wrvond
I'd say that since you've already bought it you might as well use it. I'm sure having more fluid to distribute the heat is going to be of some benefit. Without definitive tests under controlled conditions nobody can say for sure one way or the other.
I wonder, with all the attention paid to the transmission and rear differential, why ignore the front differential?
There are covers made for the front dif, but in normal driving there is no load on it. In fact, on the fords, it is not even turning so nOT much heat made. The mag hytec does the same things as the finned aluminum cover on some of the superdutys. It is a quality piece of equipment, does the benifit = the $$? That is up to the purchaser to decide.
Some people will only buy stripped down XL versions on a truck while others want filly loaded Lariats. Neither is right or wrong, they see the benifit it what the pay, be it either more or less

Old 06-17-2016, 08:49 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by bobv60
And more oil will disapate more heat. Again, why does the powerstroke take over 3 gallons of oil when the same diplacement gas engine take 5 or 6 quarts
It uses more oil because it has a different injection system and oil system...

Old 06-17-2016, 08:53 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,633 Likes on 1,096 Posts
All it does is take longer for more oil to get hot. It doesn't cool the oil.
And once it does get hot it takes longer to cool off again. So what have you gained?

Old 06-17-2016, 09:50 AM
defekticon
Senior User
The real question is - is it worth the money to get a Ford aluminum diff cover with fin's at a fraction of the cost of the Maghytech cover?

Even if it makes it easier to drain/fill the diff I'm all about it.

Old 06-17-2016, 10:33 AM
redford
Received 1,628 Likes on 952 Posts
Originally Posted by defekticon
The real question is - is it worth the money to get a Ford aluminum diff cover with fin's at a fraction of the cost of the Maghytech cover?

Even if it makes it easier to drain/fill the diff I'm all about it.
It looks good. That counts for something.

Old 06-17-2016, 10:37 AM
bobv60
Fleet Mechanic
It uses more oil because it has a different injection system and oil system...
The 5.9 Cummins doesn't use oil for the injection system, but it takes 3 gallons.
I do a lot of work on hydraulic sysyems, part of the criteria for the size of the oil tank is the amount of heat that will be built up.
Same questions about cooling system. Why do the diesels have so much more coolant than the same size gas motor. More coolant has more serface area for more heat disipation. The radiator is larger, so yes, it will need more fluid, but what the radiator does is increase the serface area of the coolant for more heat disipation. S engine that works hard needs a larger cooling system that one that is not.
Simple question, does it take more energy to boil 10 gallons or one gallion of water? Then think of the rear dif in terms of how much heat it generates doing its job. Thin figure in that there will be heat disipation from the air around the diff.
With your logic the longer the vehicle is driven the hotter the diff will get till it boils all fluid out and melts down. The reason it doesn't is because there an equilibrium between the amount of heat generated and the amount of heat disapated.

Old 06-17-2016, 10:45 AM
redford
Received 1,628 Likes on 952 Posts
We seem to be getting a little heated in this thread. (Pun intended)

Please keep the debate civil. Thank you.

Old 06-17-2016, 02:13 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 123 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by snoball1974
I don't need to ask Mark K, who ever that is..
He's the guy who designed the transmission in my truck For Ford.

If Ford could put an aluminum pan with fancy louvers and add 3 more quarts of fluid and greatly decrease transmission temps, THEY WOULD DO IT. But they didn't. What they DID do was put in larger oil-to-air coolers because that is the only part that has anything to do with transmission oil cooling. There's a reason the single most useful mod on a 99-04 gas Super Duty is installing a larger cooler, because it actually works.

This is the same argument for CAIs:
  1. K&N gives you 37 MORE horsepower through our better engineering of an incredibly simple and cheap air filter! We're not sure how but we totally promise this is true!
  2. Oh wait, OEM intakes pull cold air from outside the engine bay?
  3. Crap, OEM filters flow more CFM and filter to a finer particle size also?
  4. ???
  5. Hey, our filter is louder!
  6. Advertising!
  7. Take money from people who think an air filter actually adds power

Old 06-17-2016, 02:15 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,633 Likes on 1,096 Posts
Originally Posted by texastech_diesel
Not quite. But I was on the engineering team at Ford in the Automatic Transmission Engineering Office from 1988-2007.

Old 06-17-2016, 02:20 PM
defekticon
Senior User
Originally Posted by redford
It looks good. That counts for something.
I'm just trying to account for pulling the cover off, pulling a plug is easier and less likely to leak then pulling the diff cover off. Makes a stinky job a little easier next time.

Old 06-17-2016, 02:30 PM
stufarmer
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by stufarmer
2015 F250 4wd. 6.2 3:73 ( plenty of power )

I'm preparing our Truck for a Florida to Alaska road trip. We'll be towing a 8k + Arctic Fox Travel Trailer. I've just ordered a new Rear Mag-Hy-Tech Diff Cover and Transmission Pan. The Diff Cover holds an additional 2 quarts of fluid. I've used one in the past and know it's worth every cent when you're towing.
The Transmission Pan holds additional 2 1/2 quarts of fluid for extra Cooling.
I've never used one of these. Has anyone ?
Is it worth it ?
Trust me, you guys are debating the same questions I battled with before I spent
$600. for the two.
My reasoning was if I'm able to have a larger capacity of oil plus the Cover made of Aluminum, it would dissipate the heat better like the older Super Duty's had.
Kind of like having a Larger Radiator, Larger Mass, More capacity, all equals better Cooling.
But, If I really don't need them ..

Old 06-17-2016, 03:20 PM
bobv60
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by texastech_diesel

If Ford could put an aluminum pan with fancy louvers and add 3 more quarts of fluid and greatly decrease transmission temps, THEY WOULD DO IT. But they didn't. What they DID do was put in larger oil-to-air coolers because that is the only part that has anything to do with transmission oil cooling. There's a reason the single most useful mod on a 99-04 gas Super Duty is installing a larger cooler, because it actually works.

This is the same argument for CAIs:
  1. K&N gives you 37 MORE horsepower through our better engineering of an incredibly simple and cheap air filter! We're not sure how but we totally promise this is true!
  2. Oh wait, OEM intakes pull cold air from outside the engine bay?
  3. Crap, OEM filters flow more CFM and filter to a finer particle size also?
  4. ???
  5. Hey, our filter is louder!
  6. Advertising!
  7. Take money from people who think an air filter actually adds power
I agree with everything. Like I said the mag hytec is real popular with the Dodge Cummins group. The Dodge 4 speed auto is so weak in the Cummins application it needs all the help it can get. Almost every proformance rebuilt trans comes with a deep aluminum pan. The 2003 and newer rams with the diesel, the rear diff would burn the paint off the cover so the mag hytec was popular just to clean that up. Fo my 2007 F350 the OEM aluminum cover for less than $50 was my choice over the $250 mag hytec.
I agree with what others have said, the Ford 5r110 is so good it really doesn't need the bigger pan.

Quick Reply: Mag-Hy-Tech Covers