1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Can a battery be resurrected?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 06:21 PM
jvmcc
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can a battery be resurrected?

I've got a couple of six volt batteries. I still have them because it''s been easier to stash them away somewhere than it is to properly dispose of them. Both have no charge, but I don't know if either is really dead. I forget how old either is. I suspect that one was bought in 1989. The other may have been bought in 1991. It's hard to tell. They have been stored in a garage attic where they have been kept clean and dry, but exposed to 100 degree temps in the summer and below zero in the winter. Both have held their fluid level such that neither "needs" water. Anyway, I have some fresh electrolyte. Should I even consider pouring out the old electrolyte and pouring in new, and then attempt to put a charge on one or the other? I do not know what makes a battery go bad. If it is simply the passing of time, then I think I'll just go buy a new one.

Old 06-15-2016, 06:32 PM
toby tough
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I usually put a trickle charger on my boat batteries and one year the switch for the outlet got shut off all winter. Both lost their charge and froze. The cases were all bulged out on the long sides. Tried to use them that next spring and they wouldn't get to full charge. Lasted about a 1/3 of the normal time. I think I saw on How it's made where there is a paste on the plates inside. Not sure though. My mistake cost me almost 200 bucks. Throw one on the charger and see how it goes.

Old 06-15-2016, 06:52 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Batteries have an effective 'use by' date. Yours are well past theirs. Walmart and most auto parts retailers accept spent batteries for recycling - typically, without cost to the owner. There may be a small 'core' payment for the old unit.

You'll be contributing to the responsible practice that has more than 96% of automotve batteries recycled.

Old 06-15-2016, 07:27 PM
jvmcc
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by FortyNiner
Batteries have an effective 'use by' date. Yours are well past theirs. Walmart and most auto parts retailers accept spent batteries for recycling - typically, without cost to the owner. There may be a small 'core' payment for the old unit.

You'll be contributing to the responsible practice that has more than 96% of automotve batteries recycled.
I intend to recycle these old batteries. I still have them because I had not gotten around to doing so yet. I'm doing some wiring, so I took one down from the attic and put it in the battery box just to make sure that my cables were all the right length. I'd always assumed that I'd be buying a new battery, but I figured I'd toss the question out there about the possibility of using a battery that old.I don't know what goes on down at the bottom of a lead battery cell when it gets this old. I guess that when lead sits in an acid solution for that many years, something must happen that isn't good for the battery's health...

Old 06-15-2016, 07:48 PM
toby tough
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think Auto Value will give you 10 bucks apiece for them.

Old 06-15-2016, 08:07 PM
CBeav
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Some retailers charge more if you don't have a trade-in.

Here's the deal (simplistic): Think of batteries as acid and whatever the plates are made from. Sometimes the acid is strong but the plates are broken/dissolved/etc. Other times the connections between the plates and/or the terminals break. Sometimes the battery just needs a looong recharge to rejuvenate. Rarely does the acid go weak without some form of plate damage (shorts, breakage, etc.) What I've witnessed over the years from peeps that 'successfully' dump and refill is they might get a couple-three months and then they're on the hunt for another alternative to a new battery.

Old 06-15-2016, 11:13 PM
pweng1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Dump the acid out of them and fill with water and baking soda. leave the tops off and see the foam and impurities bubble out. Repeat this then flush and fill with electrolyte. charge slowly and youll get about 6 months or until heavy freeze.

Old 06-16-2016, 06:58 AM
artscott61
Fleet Mechanic
Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts
google sulfateing (don't know about the spelling) There are some companies that sold stuff like that .Little things we will call particles build up in the bottom of the battery and then when you get enough they actually touch the the plates together and that shorts them out making a battery bad. Supposedly when you break all that up then your battery is good again. I have told you just enough to confuse myself. Pweng1 on this subject I might be that guy at work

Old 06-16-2016, 07:22 AM
jvmcc
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by artscott61
google sulfateing (don't know about the spelling) There are some companies that sold stuff like that .Little things we will call particles build up in the bottom of the battery and then when you get enough they actually touch the the plates together and that shorts them out making a battery bad. Supposedly when you break all that up then your battery is good again. I have told you just enough to confuse myself. Pweng1 on this subject I might be that guy at work
I saw the same info when I googled "Dead Batteries". I suspect that there's a lot of sulfating going on in my twenty + year old batteries. It looks like I can get a new one for under $75. So, I'll turn in my old ones ( I think I actually can round up another one or two dead ones if I start looking around...), get $10 each for them, and be comfortable knowing that the battery won't cr*p out on me for a few years anyway.

Old 06-16-2016, 07:27 AM
artscott61
Fleet Mechanic
Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts
I am with you on the new battery. For what they cost and how long they last with some care I don't mind buying one It is not a good feeling to be stranded . Now google the one for portable tools and see how they do that.

Old 06-16-2016, 08:13 AM
jvmcc
Laughing Gas
As far as batteries for my cordless power tools (all DeWalt): when they go dead, it's time to buy a whole new tool.

Old 06-16-2016, 08:39 AM
DR Smith
Fleet Mechanic
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
I saw a battery get dropped on a concrete floor from about three feet . it broke the plates free from one another and battery worked , when charged , this was a old trick . I think it was Ross that did it at Truckstok one year .

Old 06-16-2016, 08:57 AM
pweng1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jvmcc
I saw the same info when I googled "Dead Batteries". I suspect that there's a lot of sulfating going on in my twenty + year old batteries. It looks like I can get a new one for under $75. So, I'll turn in my old ones ( I think I actually can round up another one or two dead ones if I start looking around...), get $10 each for them, and be comfortable knowing that the battery won't cr*p out on me for a few years anyway.
I probably should of specified that I have probably 12 batteries here in donor vehicles ,riding mowers, Winches on car trailers, trailer brakes, and maybe a spare or two. The licensed vehicles i drive get the new batteries and its a trickle down effect sending the totally dead one as the core exchange.