Notices

Intergrated Brake Controller

Old 11-01-2016, 11:59 PM
Rickeoni
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rickeoni is starting off with a positive reputation.
You should not feel the trailer braking with an IBC, if it working properly. Just set it up the old school way, start at with a gain of 10 and drive on a gravel road upto around 20MPH and manually apply the trailer brakes full force, trailer wheels should skid. Keep going down .5 gain at a time until the wheels don't skid, that is the number you want.

With my 12,500 Lb fiver I run at 7.5, you results may vary.

Old 11-02-2016, 04:57 AM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by mrgrayaz View Post
Interesting - we moved this weekend into a new (very tight) campground in Downtown Tempe, AZ. 300 mile tow in the mountains from Lake Powell to get there, Trailer Brakes definitely work. Manually holding to full gain while stopped, definitely...doesn't apply the brakes at all. Had to chock the wheels to slide the hitch, as usual.

I wonder if its a 2005 thing - its the first year of the IBC and a lot of people swap them for the 07 version as I guess it keeps the trailer brakes applied at slower speeds - the 2005 seems to fade them out at about 20 mph, I think the 07 its down to about 5.

Yes, I seem to recall the first version of the TBC faded out at the lower speeds. Still I would think that it would work using the manual mode.

Since they are so easy to swap, you might try a new version.

Old 11-02-2016, 07:34 AM
RV_Tech
Post Fiend
RV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputation
I don't think on the 05s it worked either way. As I recall that was the first year and there was considerable unhappiness about that. Nothing came on board with the brake controller until going over 5 mph. Easy enough to test. No manual while stopped? just get rolling and try it manually.

Steve

Old 11-02-2016, 10:11 AM
87crewdually
Post Fiend
87crewdually has much to be proud of87crewdually has much to be proud of87crewdually has much to be proud of87crewdually has much to be proud of87crewdually has much to be proud of87crewdually has much to be proud of87crewdually has much to be proud of87crewdually has much to be proud of
I don't think it's a hardware issue but instead the modules software. I have the 05 truck and it has the designed in 2004 software and get the same results on my 5er. The weird thing though is on a tandem dump trailer I tow it will lock'em up empty. I think the 5er @ 12,000 pounds has inadequate brakes to start with will never lock up.
Anyone with a newer truck with better performance maybe can check the software version for the module using Forscan or IDS.
Using Forscan on a laptop it's on the main screen. I highlighted in the picture.

Mine is from 05-14-2004.

Old 11-02-2016, 11:16 AM
RV_Tech
Post Fiend
RV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputation
Here is how you test that. Hitch up, leave the 7 pin plug off and pull the breakaway (with a fully charged battery on the trailer of course) and try to pull it. Your tires should drag. If they don't check the adjustment on your trailer brakes before doing anything else. If your brakes don't need adjusting and you know how to take an amp reading, put your meter in series with the blue lead, but your meter must be capable of handling more than 10 amps or you will blow the meter fuse (or the meter if it is not fused). You should see 10 or better.

Steve

Old 11-03-2016, 11:01 PM
mrgrayaz
Senior User
mrgrayaz is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by 87crewdually View Post
I don't think it's a hardware issue but instead the modules software. I have the 05 truck and it has the designed in 2004 software and get the same results on my 5er. The weird thing though is on a tandem dump trailer I tow it will lock'em up empty. I think the 5er @ 12,000 pounds has inadequate brakes to start with will never lock up.
Anyone with a newer truck with better performance maybe can check the software version for the module using Forscan or IDS.
Using Forscan on a laptop it's on the main screen. I highlighted in the picture.

Mine is from 05-14-2004.
Interesting, does it let you update it?

Old 11-03-2016, 11:03 PM
mrgrayaz
Senior User
mrgrayaz is starting off with a positive reputation.
Found this on another forum:

8630 2005 SUPER DUTY F-SERIES - NORMAL OUTPUT VOLTAGE FOR A MANUAL APPLY FROM THE FORD TRAILER BRAKE CONTROLLER - SERVICE TIP
THE VOLTAGE OUTPUT FOR MANUAL TRAILER BRAKE APPLICATION FROM THE FACTORY INSTALLED TRAILER BRAKE CONTROLLER ON 2005 F-SUPER DUTY VEHICLES IS IN TWO DIFFERENT RANGES, BASED ON BUILD DATE. THE NORMAL OUTPUT VOLTAGE FOR A FULL MANUAL APPLY (MANUAL ACTIVATOR LEVER SLID FULLY TO THE LEFT, GAIN SETTING OF 10, VEHICLE NOT MOVING) IS 1-3 VOLTS ON VEHICLES BUILT BEFORE 3/23/05, AND IS GREATER THAN 10 VOLTS ON VEHICLES BUILT AFTER 3/23/05. BRAKE PEDAL BASED OUTPUT FROM THE CONTROLLER IS THE SAME REGARDLESS OF BUILD DATE. DO NOT REPLACE THE CONTROLLER IF IT IS PROVIDING VOLTAGE OUTPUT IN THE CORRECT RANGE BASED ON BUILD DATE. REFER TO SECTION 206-10 OF THE WORKSHOP MANUAL FOR FURTHER INFORMATION.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 05/26/2005

Old 11-03-2016, 11:07 PM
87crewdually
Post Fiend
87crewdually has much to be proud of87crewdually has much to be proud of87crewdually has much to be proud of87crewdually has much to be proud of87crewdually has much to be proud of87crewdually has much to be proud of87crewdually has much to be proud of87crewdually has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by mrgrayaz View Post
Interesting, does it let you update it?
Forscan has no capabilities to flash modules. IDS software through VCMII hardware is the only way to update/fflash modules with updates. IDS is what Ford uses.