General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

PODS

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 12:13 PM
84espy
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
PODS

Ever want to rent a mobile storage unit? I did for work inside my house and here is my experience:

I chose PODS because I had seen them on TV and they had a branch about 20 miles from my house (this point is moot, though, because you still have use their website to make the reservation). You can give them the exact location of the drop and where you want the door facing. Also, when looking at the insurance portion, realize that there are 2 options. One is for the contents and the other is for the container itself. Make sure to get the one that applies to you.

02/07/16: Order made and paid with credit card. 12'x8' container with 3 blankets and lock (bought, not rented) to arrive on 03/05/16. When you do this, you can review your account and see when it is scheduled to arrive. They give a 3 hour window. Mine was to arrive at 1230 - 330pm.
03/05/16: 4pm and no pod. A phone call says that they are stuck in traffic. Another call 30 minutes later says that they will be at my house at 530pm with a 16 footer, since they have run out of 12 footers, at no extra charge. Unit arrives at 6pm. The drop-off was cool to watch. Unit is on a detachable frame that comes off the truck and is set in position on the driveway.
March, 2016: This particular time, it rained heavy for at least one week straight and steadily for two weeks. When I opened the unit, there were no leaks to be found. Not even moisture trails.
04/03/16: Empty unit was picked up and hauled off.

Remember the 16 footer that was delivered? There was an 'emergency delivery' charge for that. I disputed that charge, but it took at least two months before the charges were reversed on the credit card, even though my PODS account showed it had been reversed. IMO, they just wait you and if you don't keep at it, they just pocket the money.

Ratings:
Product was a 10 out of 10. It did the job and kept my belongings dry.
Service was a 5 out of 10. How do you not get the item you reserved a month in advance? Even with a three hour window, they were 2 1/2 hours late with no phone call.
Business was a 1 out of 10. As stated, they charged me for a fee that was not my doing. The charge remained on the credit card until for two months, even though the charge is reversed on your PODS account statement. I truly believe they take no action unless you do.
Repeat customer is a 0 out of 10. I will need to use a storage container for another phase of home upgrades this fall. There are other businesses out there like this one (UNITS for example), so the competition is there. My biggest dissatisfaction concerned the service and business side.

Hope this is useful.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:50 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Had this happened to me I'd have contacted my CC bank to reverse the disputed charges---or the whole amount. At that point I'd do the waiting for them to call me.

I've dealt with final billing costs far exceeding the original quote to the point of initiating a stop payment on a check for refrigerator "repair". Had the wife not been home to watch and tell me of the "repair" it might have gone uncontested.

Funny thing was when the company did call and told of why the stop payment they offered to send the same guy out yet again to do more "repair". Yeah---didn't happen. But anyway...........

Good to know the POD units are weather-tight---I've often wondered how good their containers really were.

Thanks!