1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a 2015 leftover...

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 05:20 PM
Slick61
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying a 2015 leftover...

stumbled onto a leftover 2015 CCSB 4x4 6.2L that's pretty much equipped exactly the way I'd want it. The tricky part is figuring out how to price it. So far, they've offered invoice... which I passed on, given that, in a few months, this truck is going to be TWO model years old. You'd think they'd want to move it. Well... I suppose they do... at THEIR price. I realize they're only going to do so much via phone/internet, but c'mon...

Going through TrueCar & configuring a 2016 (can't choose a 2015) in the exact same way comes out to about $4300 below invoice, including factory incentives.

The tricky part is figuring out what a good deal would be on the leftover 2015. Have found several USED 2015s, with less than 15k miles & similarly equipped that have ASKING PRICES ranging from low to upper 30s.

I'd be trading in my 2k Super Duty V10 4x4 supercab with 87.5k miles, which is in fair condition.

I'd really welcome any (constructive) input on how to navigate such a purchase... how much could I realistically expect the price to come down? I know it varies by market, but I also know the market is a bit sluggish right now, so hoping to negotiate a killer deal.

Old 06-02-2016, 05:40 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts
The market in general is sluggish however truck sales are up so the dealer might not feel much pressure to sell it today.
I would price out some 16's at a couple places first.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:06 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
agree with xr7gt390.... shop for a New 2016.... you could end up with a 16 at the same or better price of THAT 2015..

and as you thought... internet selling is NOT selling...

arrive at the shop.. and talk.. or Walk.

and Yes, a New 2015. is 3 months from being 2 years old.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:54 PM
Slick61
Junior User
since there's no differences between the 2015 & 2016, I'd rather try to get a screamin' deal on the '15. It's nothing fancy... an XLT with a few options... & they've got plenty of '16s in stock. I'm in no major hurry... I don't HAVE to buy anything, so time is on my side.

Old 06-02-2016, 09:23 PM
tincan1
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I got a 12 in 2013, CC 4x4 XLT with FX4 and Camper Pkg, 6.2 ltr.
I paid 33k for it. Back then it was the sole leftover.
Good Luck!
Jim

Old 06-02-2016, 10:06 PM
Crispy71
Senior User
Originally Posted by tincan1
I got a 12 in 2013, CC 4x4 XLT with FX4 and Camper Pkg, 6.2 ltr.
I paid 33k for it. Back then it was the sole leftover.
Good Luck!
Jim
As did I! Last '12 on the lot and the only 6.2L.

Old 06-03-2016, 06:08 AM
onkel udo
Junior User
Originally Posted by Slick61
Going through TrueCar & configuring a 2016 (can't choose a 2015) in the exact same way comes out to about $4300 below invoice, including factory incentives.
Offer a $1000 below the Truecar price. Negotiations on your trade might be the real challenge.

I bought a holdover 2015 in late February and got an excellent deal on it. In my case it helped that it was a special order the original purchaser did not pick up (it only showed "available" in inventory for 2 days on 2/16)...configured such that NO ONE in this area would want it but me.

I guess part of the question is why does he have a 2015 on the lot still?

Old 06-03-2016, 07:38 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Things to consider. There was a pretty big jump from '15 to '16, I think like $900. You also get any increase in rebates from Ford (though I think it's down to about $1000 difference, so the same truck on the same deal would be almost $2k more, and that's the perspective they are trying to push. I generally make the same amount on a truck that just came in the doors as one that's been here two years, so me the sales person doesn't care how old it is (I write my own deals and don't go through a manager), the difference in price comes only from the rebates and sticker inflation. The only exception is if it because extremely dated, we use advertising dollars to lower the price and move it. The other factor is, they want to get rid of it, but that doesn't mean it makes sense to really lose money on it. Being $2k less than anything else means someone will buy it for invoice, no question. It's just how much do they want to get rid of it today to you. Realistically, if it's not on of their oldest 5% of vehicles, they probably don't have anything special to work on, but if you showed up, you could work em for maybe $500 to $1000 off. If you expect more than that, then I would think you'll probably have to keep looking, but your best leverage is always when you're physically there ready to buy (and still able to walk away). Do keep in mind, being nearly 2 years old, some banks will treat it as a used vehicle. The used market is pretty strong on trucks, but financing can be funny sometimes.

Old 06-03-2016, 11:13 AM
Slick61
Junior User
Originally Posted by Frantz
Things to consider. There was a pretty big jump from '15 to '16, I think like $900. You also get any increase in rebates from Ford (though I think it's down to about $1000 difference, so the same truck on the same deal would be almost $2k more, and that's the perspective they are trying to push. I generally make the same amount on a truck that just came in the doors as one that's been here two years, so me the sales person doesn't care how old it is (I write my own deals and don't go through a manager), the difference in price comes only from the rebates and sticker inflation. The only exception is if it because extremely dated, we use advertising dollars to lower the price and move it. The other factor is, they want to get rid of it, but that doesn't mean it makes sense to really lose money on it. Being $2k less than anything else means someone will buy it for invoice, no question. It's just how much do they want to get rid of it today to you. Realistically, if it's not on of their oldest 5% of vehicles, they probably don't have anything special to work on, but if you showed up, you could work em for maybe $500 to $1000 off. If you expect more than that, then I would think you'll probably have to keep looking, but your best leverage is always when you're physically there ready to buy (and still able to walk away). Do keep in mind, being nearly 2 years old, some banks will treat it as a used vehicle. The used market is pretty strong on trucks, but financing can be funny sometimes.
yes... I get the feeling that they want the same money on the '15 as they'd get on the '16. Well... they're not going to get it from me. I am not paying for the depreciation while it sat on their lot for the past year. There's a REASON they haven't sold it... either no one wants it, there's something wrong with it, or they won't deal on it. Near as I can figure, they're offering $900 below invoice plus factory incentives. Not bad, but then again, it will shortly be a 2 year old truck. To me, I'd think I would be able to get a '16 at that price very shortly... so they'd have to sweeten the pot to get me to sign on the dotted line. And I realize that they're not going to give their "best & final" via an email or text... which means dropping (more like MOVING) in... which I dread. I detest that part of the process, & revert to a total A-hole because the process is so frustrating. Between the endless handoffs... holding my trade hostage... the infamous four-square... the "payments" tactic... etc, etc, etc... there's a reason car-buying services have become so popular. But this is a somewhat unique situation on the '15... since they have plenty of '16s on the lot. The good part is that I don't HAVE to buy anything... I have 3 other cars to drive. I just don't have a real clear idea on what constitutes a great deal on the truck that will soon be 2 years old. But your point about financing (treated as used) is duly noted.

Old 06-03-2016, 11:21 AM
rays250
Freshman User
My neighbor just picked up a 2016 6.2 Platinum 4x4 for $48,600. Beautiful truck. Dealer told him they're liquidating all inventory 2016's. im sure the deals will get better as months go by.

Old 06-03-2016, 11:35 AM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,630 Likes on 1,644 Posts
If you don't HAVE to buy something, and they will not budge, I would let them keep it! As you stated....it is soon going to be a 2 year old "new" truck, and you are correct in that it will take a huge depreciation hit! If they are not offering some HUGE rebates, it simply is not worth what they want to get from it. As others have stated, get a '16 for about the same money, and even thise are going to take a one year hit real soon!
Good luck in what ever you do!

Old 06-03-2016, 12:12 PM
Slick61
Junior User
Originally Posted by rays250
My neighbor just picked up a 2016 6.2 Platinum 4x4 for $48,600. Beautiful truck. Dealer told him they're liquidating all inventory 2016's. im sure the deals will get better as months go by.
oof... I'm sure that's probably a good deal, but that's $2k more than the MSRP on the one I'm looking at. I've discovered that I prefer a more "basic" vehicle. I have a loaded '13 Edge Limited, and I find all the bells & whistles are more of a distraction than an aid. I only have about 4-5 months left on the lease, so it will not be an issue for much longer. I just want air conditioning (preferably manual) and a good stereo... which I can go aftermarket for, if need be.

Old 06-04-2016, 12:18 AM
djm1204
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also bought a "leftover" a 2012 F350 Sticker was 36,000.00 I was out the door at $26,643.00

Took delivery 7/25/13 and I believe the first of the new 14's were just arriving on the lot. My truck is red - basically a "fleet truck" and most fleets want white trucks, so much easier to letter etc.

Keep in mind that after a certain time period the dealer has to or already had to starting paying for that vehicle as part of his floor plan. Some dealers monitor each and ever vehicle on their lot and will not "lose" money on any vehicle and therefore keep adding the individual floor plan cost to each vehicle, therefore increasing the bottom line of what the dealer considers his actual cost of the vehicle. If the dealer only pays 3% a year per vehicle for his floor plan, on a 30,000 truck thats $75.00 a month. If the truck has been there 15 months and he's been paying the floor plan for 10 of those months, that truck has cost him an additional $750.00 for his floor plan expense over and above the basic cost of the truck. Some dealers will want to sell it and stop paying the monthly floor plan expense, others will want to add the floor plan expense to the sale price of the truck

If you decide to buy it, once the deal is completed, check that actual date of manufacture, then check the owners guide for Ford's recommended maintenance schedule, if something should be changed every six months regardless of mileage - have them do it, at their expense, before delivery. After all the book doesn't say change the oil every six months after delivery, say every 6 months if it has not been changed because of mileage.

Old 06-04-2016, 12:47 AM
PokerMunkee
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You can get a nice Ram Tradesman 2500 6.7 Cummins for low $40's brand new. It blows away a current Super Duty in XLT trim. I wouldn't buy a new 2015/2016 XLT 6.2 unless it was well below $40K. You can get a new Tradesman 6.4 gasser for low $30's.

Get one of these for around $41K... has the basics, 4wd, tow mirrors, exhaust brake, backup cam/sensors, bluetooth, satellite touchscreen radio:

http://www.dennisdillonchryslerjeepd...bef7272d76.htm

Old 06-08-2016, 05:57 PM
Slick61
Junior User
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee
You can get a nice Ram Tradesman 2500 6.7 Cummins for low $40's brand new. It blows away a current Super Duty in XLT trim. I wouldn't buy a new 2015/2016 XLT 6.2 unless it was well below $40K. You can get a new Tradesman 6.4 gasser for low $30's.

Get one of these for around $41K... has the basics, 4wd, tow mirrors, exhaust brake, backup cam/sensors, bluetooth, satellite touchscreen radio:

New 2016 Ram 2500 Tradesman For Sale in Caldwell Near Boise, Nampa, ID | Vin:3C6UR5CL5GG113224
you're right... Ram has some pretty smokin' deals right now... $9k to $10k off of MSRP right of the bat. Found a '16 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 6.4L Hemi (Tradesman) that was decently optioned last weekend, & the ASKING PRICE was $34,950... I just may go to the "dark side"...

Last edited by Slick61; 06-08-2016 at 05:58 PM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: Buying a 2015 leftover...