1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

1985 ford f150 300 inline 6 smog help

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 04:19 PM
Tooleytool
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1985 ford f150 300 inline 6 smog help

I had to buy a smog pump and evap can also picked up a vaccum can looks like a coffee can I have no idea how to connect everything or terminology please help I'm completely unfamiliar with the systems please help

Old 06-01-2016, 04:41 PM
Braggs
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A "smog pump" is an air pump that is driven by the belts on the front of the engine usually mounted on the lower passenger side. It pumps air into the exhaust so the chemicals left over after the engine combusts the gasoline/air mixture will break down further in the catalytic converter.

The vacuum can (looks like a coffee can) is simply a vacuum reservoir. Basically an empty space that doesn't leak air. This can be connected to a vacuum distribution node (a block of plastic where a bunch of vacuum hoses connect, usually top passenger side of engine). The vacuum distribution node will need to connect to a vacuum source, usually the carburetor.

The Evap canister is for the gas fumes inside the fuel tank. Gasoline evaporates at room temperature. These gasses build up pressure inside the fuel tank. To ensure these gasses don't escape into the atmosphere, they have designed a way to "suck off" these gasses and feed them to the engine where they are burned like the rest of the fuel. So there is a vacuum line that runs from the fuel tank all the way to the engine compartment. There it goes through the evap cansiter, into another vacuum hose, and eventually into the engine via the carburetor.

Here's some pictures for you to look at:

Smog/air pump diagram

vacuum can location & distribution node

evap canister example

Old 06-01-2016, 05:45 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Good job, Braggs!

Old 06-01-2016, 05:50 PM
Tooleytool
New User
Appreciate the feed back mine is carbureted and a little different I have a ton of hose I bought but not sure exactly where to hook them up ill get pictures of my engine see it might be more help

Old 06-01-2016, 05:56 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
You should have a vacuum-routing diagram on the panel just ahead of the radiator on the passenger's side. If you can post a picture of that we can help. But, this page in the stickies provides a decoder: Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - View Single Post - Vacuum Diagram Acronyms

Old 06-01-2016, 06:07 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,652 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Did you just buy this truck without a smog?

on edit: No he didn't, see next post and................... well, never mind....

I did have an '85 E150. The computer was on the passenger side in the van, about as big as a fat laptop.

There were 4 (iirc) solenoid gizmos on the valve cover, and the miles of plastic tubing came and went in that area.

Good luck on this

Last edited by 85e150; 06-01-2016 at 11:17 PM. Reason: remove unhelpful rant
Old 06-01-2016, 08:59 PM
Tooleytool
New User
When I was growing up this is the truck I spent the most time with dad in hunting cutting wood sentimental priceless!! It sat in his back yard for ten years after he completely rebuilt it machined cleaned everything by the book except for during the 25 miles it has on the rebuild bad gas stuck valves he had to get to work so parked it non op and bought another truck.. A few weeks ago I asked about it he said you get it running its yours so 4 bent push rods four new tires master cylinder pinion seal new gear oil oil change plugs wires rotor cap new gas ( old gas drained and given away-10 gal) new seat here I am at the smog stuff I went to pick n pull and got a bunch of check valves gulp valve pump two different vac cans evap canister and a little starship voyager looking valve and Napa provided a lot of vacum lines I just don't know exactly what I need to use and where

Old 06-01-2016, 09:22 PM
Galendor
Posting Guru

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vacuum diagram for 1986 F150 300-I6

The original smog systems that came on your truck weren't too complicated. They are/were controlled and monitored by a simple computer in the cab, near the gas pedal, with a few sensors and electric solenoids out in the engine bay.

Are the original smog parts still present in the truck? Or did your dad maybe remove them? Yes, pics of your engine bay would help us.

Old 06-01-2016, 09:26 PM
Galendor
Posting Guru

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Here's diagrams that shows some of the sensors, solenoids, and components that would be found on a stock 1986 300-I6.

Old 06-01-2016, 11:36 PM
Tooleytool
New User
Old 06-02-2016, 06:11 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
About all that I can tell from that picture is that you do have the diagram. But it does look very similar to the one Galendor posted. So, we can use his if you can't get a better pic.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:55 AM
Tooleytool
New User
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
You should have a vacuum-routing diagram on the panel just ahead of the radiator on the passenger's side. If you can post a picture of that we can help. But, this page in the stickies provides a decoder: Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - View Single Post - Vacuum Diagram Acronyms
Sorry about pic quality I've been admitted to the hospital so I had my gf go out and take pics which I really appreciate and she sent them to me I have 11 more for some reason won't let me post I paid the year subscription to idk keeps saying low memory

Old 06-02-2016, 08:04 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
I've never had FTE say "low memory" so I suspect it is something to do with your mobile device. Are you clicking the yellow "postcard" icon, above, and choosing Browse Your Device?

Anyway, hospital? Hope it isn't too bad.

Old 06-02-2016, 09:57 AM
Tooleytool
New User
I can email pics but can't upload have an infection in my throat if I hadn't went to er I wouldn't be typing this now but with iv antibiotics an operation and gods grace I'm getting better

Old 06-02-2016, 10:07 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
God is good.

Email me the pics and I'll post. Just click on the "Gary Lewis" and choose "Send email".

Quick Reply: 1985 ford f150 300 inline 6 smog help