6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

1st Pull Since Work Completed

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 02:31 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
1st Pull Since Work Completed

As most of you know I finally got to fixing all the issues with my truck. Just got done with a 100 mile trip pulling the 5er...mostly went well, but as my luck would have it I have something funky going on.

First of all my temps all looed good for pulling 13k with a tuned truck and atlas 40. The big thing that I did notice was the EGTs were defiantly warmer than normal, but nothing too concerning. Its running 900-1288 was the highest I saw pulling a grade in 5th. EOT/ECT delta was about 4-6* which isn't too bad considering it was 86* out and I was using cruise control which I normally don't do cause I don't like the truck lugging.

So the only issue I had was a turbo surge, it sounded like it was "farting" in 5th and I could see the gauge fluctuate when it was happening. No codes, with the Edge CTS, but Ill check when I get home with my SOLUS. I assume that the turbo is most likely sticking, which sucks but I guess if that's the worst I got going on I'm ok with it. Last year I drove the truck about 2000 miles total and the vast majority of that was short trips cause I didn't have A/C in the Yukon. I'm kicking myself cause I did have the turbo out and I should have split it and checked.

I looked real quick at the CAC hoses but they all looked good to me, no loose clamps. I was hoping it was going to be something stupid but I guess not.

As usual this truck didn't disappoint, it pulls like a freight train. The only thing I'm missing is 2 extra wheels in the back of the truck!

I Hope everyone enjoys their Memorial Day Weekend!!!!

Sarge

Old 05-26-2016, 03:08 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Try cleaning the MAP and EBP sensor before committing to the turbo pull.

Old 05-26-2016, 03:18 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 429 Likes on 286 Posts
Great news Sarge! Only similar thing I could share with you is after my bullet-proof lite was done, it took awhile for the truck to relearn the VGT. I was seeing boost as high as 31 (and man did it haul!) and then our 1st trip was in the mountains and hard acceleration into a mountain turn and a quick chop of the throttle and I was getting turbo farts (this was at about 6K feet). My shop did bench clean the turbo, so I knew it was fine.

So as another hundred or two miles went by I realized boost was maxing out at 27-28 and I haven't had another turbo fart since...

I think doing what Randy suggests is good advice in any case. In mine I chalked it up to VGT re-learning...

Good luck!

Old 05-26-2016, 03:40 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
You can force the re-learn also.

Old 05-26-2016, 04:10 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Could very well be a VGT relearn issue. It never happened in the short time I drove it in the city, and If I forced the trans to down shift it never did it either.

Sarge

Old 05-26-2016, 04:37 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
The 03's are the only ones that need a VGT relearn, it doesn't affect any other year model, but it doesn't hurt to disconnect the batteries and try.

Old 05-26-2016, 05:27 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
What do you think I have going on Tim?

If I down shift it its not an issue.

Sarge

Old 05-27-2016, 01:05 PM
xaviar
Elder User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You will find with that atlas 40 tune your truck will not down shift as often. I also up graded to the Atlas 40 from Ed at ficm repair. I thought there was info listed on his site stating something to it being set up to pull or hold gear longer instead of downshifting so often.

We're you using tow haul mode. Do you have specific tow tunes installed to help?

I got tow tunes installed (heavy/light) and it has made a difference for me.

Old 05-27-2016, 01:06 PM
xaviar
Elder User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You will find with that atlas 40 tune for your truck will not down shift as often. I also up graded to the Atlas 40 from Ed at ficm repair. I thought there was info listed on his site stating something to it being set up to pull or hold gear longer instead of downshifting so often.

We're you using tow haul mode. Do you have specific tow tunes installed to help?

I got tow tunes installed (heavy/light) and it has made a difference for me.

Old 05-27-2016, 02:59 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Yes I have tow specific tunes from Matt @ Gearhead. I did have to run about 20 miles further north today and I couldn't duplicate the concern. I am wondering if I have a piece of something that was being sucked into the MAP pull off or something like that.

Couldn't get it to do anything but what it was supposed to for the 40 mile round trip. Guess we'll see Sunday how she does on the way home.

Sarge

Old 05-31-2016, 09:12 AM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
So on the way home the truck ran flawless, not sure what the issue was but it did not reappear on the way home so I will keep an eye on it.

Only issue I have to address is my 3-5 shift issue. I'm guessing I'm paying for my sins of the past now when I had my Banks Tuner installed. I'm looking at 3 options here:

1. Remove my trans and have it rebuilt
2. ATS Built Transmission shipped to my door
3. Ford Reman Transmission

Any other suggestions here would be great.

Sarge

Old 05-31-2016, 11:56 AM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 429 Likes on 286 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarge261
So on the way home the truck ran flawless, not sure what the issue was but it did not reappear on the way home so I will keep an eye on it.

Only issue I have to address is my 3-5 shift issue. I'm guessing I'm paying for my sins of the past now when I had my Banks Tuner installed. I'm looking at 3 options here:

1. Remove my trans and have it rebuilt
2. ATS Built Transmission shipped to my door
3. Ford Reman Transmission

Any other suggestions here would be great.

Sarge
Costs aside, I'd want to do it once and never have to worry about it again, so I'd do #2 with a stouter Torque Converter as well... Or #1 if it would be building a similarly beefed up trans and converter as #2 but less $s...

Old 05-31-2016, 12:28 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 322 Likes on 169 Posts
Originally Posted by xaviar
You will find with that atlas 40 tune your truck will not down shift as often. I also up graded to the Atlas 40 from Ed at ficm repair. I thought there was info listed on his site stating something to it being set up to pull or hold gear longer instead of downshifting so often.
This is why EGTs are hot while towing.

A good friend of mine has an '05 he has 155/30 injectors, Stage 2 MTW turbo, and the Atlas 40. He had the Atlas 80 but had to back it down because it was getting too hot just cruising around. He would mash it, not get too much into the pedal and EGTs were way up there. He had it backed down to the Atlas 40 and things still get hot, just not as fast. If it were me (and I'll take a page from the book of Timbo Chapter 6), I'd just stick with either a stock Ford FICM calibration or a custom FICM tune from KEM Performance.

Old 05-31-2016, 02:23 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Yeah I knew Id see higher EGT's with the Atlas 40, which is why I didn't go with anything more for FICM tuning. As far as the actual EGT temps they really aren't much higher than they were before the tuning. The key is not to "lug" the truck.

Sarge

Old 06-02-2016, 09:18 AM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
So here is what I come up with:

I can do a ATS built tranny for around 4500

I can do a Warren Diesel Competion tranny for 4500

I can do a Reman Ford Tranny for 2500

Or my builder can put 1 together for me for about 1800. The only thing I'm leary of here is what kind of parts hes using, which I never asked. If its a stock rebuild I may be tempted to pop for the extra couple hundred and go the Ford route.

I like the idea of the better TC and the Billett Input Shaft both ATS and Warren offer, and when talking to the folks at Warren they seem real nice and knowledgeable. Just up in the air right now. What worries me is being 1000 miles away from home and the tranny goes out. Sometimes my 3-5 shift is fine other times not so much!

Sarge

Quick Reply: 1st Pull Since Work Completed