1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

steering toyota coversion f100

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 04:48 PM
capelo
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AXracer
Yes that is a Saginaw pump, but it has a long pulley shaft on it. You would need to find a mounting bracket where the pulleys lined up. The Saginaw pump was very popular (cheap/dependable/adjustable pressure) so they were used on most70s and newer (Up until rack and pinion steering became the norm) all General Motors, some Fords and some Chrysler products. If you buy a used box be sure to get the high pressure hose and the fitting that screws into box. it is an unusual size (17mm) and very hard to find (note that low pressure return hose uses a 16mm fitting at the box. The 16mm return fitting will screw into the 17mm port but will leak badly!)
Thanks for the explanation. This pump seems to be a crysler. on the support I guess I'll have to build one because I have no support. And find a new groove in the crankshaft pulley. The measures are ka tells me pump or steering box?

Old 06-16-2016, 06:57 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts
Capelo, the measurements are the size of the two hose fittings at the steering box. The hose fittings at the pump is a 16mm. So for the pressure hose it needs to have a 16mm male inverted flare fitting on each end with a short steel tube attached to the rubber hose with a machine crimped steel crimp fitting (not removeable) and the low pressure return hose is a cut to length plain rubber hydraulic fluid hose that is sized to push over permanent reservoir return tube on the pump and over the short length of steel tube protruding out of 17mm return fitting on box. since this is a low pressure hose, it is secured with a small stainless hose clamp at each end. If you should not have enough clearance for the return hose to fit between the box and your exhaust headers, a company gottashow.com makes a beautiful but pricey set of stainless braid covered hoses with their own special SS low profile "banjo" fittings specially for this application.

That pitman arm in your picture appears to be the right one. Ask them or count the splines. You might want to order a new pitman shaft nut for the Toyota box. I think Toyota hired Godzilla to tighten it at the factory. I had to split mine to get it off after I broke my medium duty 3" bench vise. Don't heat it or you will likely melt the shaft seal, making more work! Feel free to ask more questions if needed.

Old 06-17-2016, 04:35 PM
capelo
Elder User
Originally Posted by AXracer
Capelo, the measurements are the size of the two hose fittings at the steering box. The hose fittings at the pump is a 16mm. So for the pressure hose it needs to have a 16mm male inverted flare fitting on each end with a short steel tube attached to the rubber hose with a machine crimped steel crimp fitting (not removeable) and the low pressure return hose is a cut to length plain rubber hydraulic fluid hose that is sized to push over permanent reservoir return tube on the pump and over the short length of steel tube protruding out of 17mm return fitting on box. since this is a low pressure hose, it is secured with a small stainless hose clamp at each end. If you should not have enough clearance for the return hose to fit between the box and your exhaust headers, a company gottashow.com makes a beautiful but pricey set of stainless braid covered hoses with their own special SS low profile "banjo" fittings specially for this application.

That pitman arm in your picture appears to be the right one. Ask them or count the splines. You might want to order a new pitman shaft nut for the Toyota box. I think Toyota hired Godzilla to tighten it at the factory. I had to split mine to get it off after I broke my medium duty 3" bench vise. Don't heat it or you will likely melt the shaft seal, making more work! Feel free to ask more questions if needed.
thank you very much, do not hesitate to ask you

Old 06-27-2016, 04:05 PM
capelo
Elder User
I keep accumulating the pieces of the puzzle

Old 06-27-2016, 05:52 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 555 Likes on 359 Posts
Keep it up. You'll be there before you know it.

Old 06-28-2016, 12:06 AM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by capelo
pump looks good and properly .The tour seeking a second slot I have not started yet. I'm thinking about making a link to the original made by a turner. do not know if there are better options
This pump appears to have the mounting bracket holes on the right hand side of the pump, which would make it difficult to mount on the right hand side of the engine. The tag says Chrysler, which would be mounted of the left hand side (facing from front) of the engine.

Old 06-30-2016, 03:35 PM
capelo
Elder User
Originally Posted by Mervy49
This pump appears to have the mounting bracket holes on the right hand side of the pump, which would make it difficult to mount on the right hand side of the engine. The tag says Chrysler, which would be mounted of the left hand side (facing from front) of the engine.
Hi, thanks for the comments, the pump if it was in a chrysler. Fixing but is the same as that sold mid-fifties

Old 07-06-2016, 03:40 PM
capelo
Elder User
I'm making my own support for toyota box

Old 07-07-2016, 04:49 PM
capelo
Elder User
stand finished, just missing pai

nting

Old 07-07-2016, 05:05 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Won't be long now!

Old 07-07-2016, 05:10 PM
capelo
Elder User
Originally Posted by bjmayberry2
Won't be long now!
I still make the pulley and I get the pitman arm from sumit

Old 07-18-2016, 04:17 PM
capelo
Elder User
Today I have received the pitman arm. and only the pulley is me

Old 07-18-2016, 04:36 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Are you going to buy a 2 groove balancing damper or are you looking for a add on pulley that bolts on to your old one?

Old 07-18-2016, 04:55 PM
capelo
Elder User
Originally Posted by bjmayberry2
Are you going to buy a 2 groove balancing damper or are you looking for a add on pulley that bolts on to your old one?
For me the two options are complicated by where I live. I think I will try to make a screwing the original

Old 07-28-2016, 04:31 PM
capelo
Elder User
making my second pulley. someone can tell me the extent of the screw?

Quick Reply: steering toyota coversion f100