Fuel station pump froze

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 10:59 PM
r2millers
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fuel station pump froze

Here's an interesting article of a common issue of toy haulers fuel pump stations not operating because the pump gears expand and freeze in the casing.
A simple fix to follow, once my son's tt had the same issue and 60 minutes later all okay.
Didn't see any info here on the FTE forum so just wanted to share.
Thanks to the guy who originally posted this.

Fixing a seized Toyhauler Fuel Pump - Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net

Old 05-23-2016, 07:29 AM
jsm180
Fleet Mechanic
Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts
Another ethanol victim, I just lost another fuel pump in the jeep. Wish they would quit this nonsense.

Old 10-06-2019, 06:31 AM
Hartwig
Cargo Master
Received 1,020 Likes on 518 Posts
sorry, wrong post

Old 10-06-2019, 03:08 PM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,630 Likes on 1,644 Posts
Another Big issue is also lack of use, allowing said gasoline to turn to varnish. So with that, I go out about once a month and take the dispenser hose and stick it into the fill neck on the gas tank of the toyhauler, turn the pump on and let it circulate for a few minutes.

Old 10-06-2019, 07:41 PM
xrated
Senior User
Originally Posted by 99150
Another Big issue is also lack of use, allowing said gasoline to turn to varnish. So with that, I go out about once a month and take the dispenser hose and stick it into the fill neck on the gas tank of the toyhauler, turn the pump on and let it circulate for a few minutes.
That may help the longevity of the GPI pump, but don't count on it......they are junk! I had one on my aux diesel tank in the bed of my truck and it went out at less than two years (can't blame that one on ethanol and varnish), in addition to the one that went out on my first toyhauler.

Old 10-06-2019, 09:04 PM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by xrated
That may help the longevity of the GPI pump, but don't count on it......they are junk! I had one on my aux diesel tank in the bed of my truck and it went out at less than two years (can't blame that one on ethanol and varnish), in addition to the one that went out on my first toyhauler.
I understand that. Was just pointing out another problem that can be mitigated with these POS pumps. I have had to put the so called “better” gears in mine. Time will tell.

Old 10-07-2019, 02:55 AM
xrated
Senior User
Originally Posted by 99150
I understand that. Was just pointing out another problem that can be mitigated with these POS pumps. I have had to put the so called “better” gears in mine. Time will tell.
I hear ya. It's a shame that you can buy a brand new pump and then have to replace the pump gears because they didn't put in quality stuff from the get go. After the one in my truck aux. tank went south, I replaced it with a Fill-Rite FR1210. We'll see how long that one lasts, but it's been over a year already and no issues so far (knocking on wood as I type this)

Old 10-13-2019, 11:14 AM
hookd
Senior User
One thing that will help is only using ethanol free premium. I know the engine in your toys last longer as well. I also run my pump and generator dry every year so it's not sitting with fuel in it all winter.

Old 10-14-2019, 11:03 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,697 Likes on 2,750 Posts
I run Ethanol-free fuel, but not premium. I try to find the lower octane version.

I run my generator once a month, even in the winter, as recommended by Onan. So I don't run it dry. I have a fuel station pump on my toy hauler. I have no idea if it actually works or not. I've never used it.

Old 02-11-2020, 01:50 PM
cwend
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
about to have to rebuild mine

Old 04-22-2021, 09:18 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Originally Posted by HRTKD
I run Ethanol-free fuel, but not premium. I try to find the lower octane version.

I run my generator once a month, even in the winter, as recommended by Onan. So I don't run it dry. I have a fuel station pump on my toy hauler. I have no idea if it actually works or not. I've never used it.
Found out my fuel station does NOT work. The nozzle is frozen. I can't pull the handle hard enough to depress the plunger, without bending the handle. I ordered a new nozzle. The pump didn't sound that great either. Kind of like it was grinding up rocks. Once I get the new nozzle I'll retest the pump and decide what to do after that.

Old 04-22-2021, 09:53 PM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by HRTKD
Found out my fuel station does NOT work. The nozzle is frozen. I can't pull the handle hard enough to depress the plunger, without bending the handle. I ordered a new nozzle. The pump didn't sound that great either. Kind of like it was grinding up rocks. Once I get the new nozzle I'll retest the pump and decide what to do after that.
Once you get a new (operational) nozzle, the pump should sound a lot better when the nozzle is open and the pump is pumping fuel. With your stuck nozzle, your pump is just deadheading against the closed nozzle.

The following users liked this post:
Old 04-22-2021, 11:58 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Good to know. Thanks Don.

Old 04-25-2021, 08:01 AM
dsrace
Tuned
Received 89 Likes on 72 Posts
when i select the link it asks that i sign in to read the post.

i have had this happen on one of my previous toyhaulers. the gear swelled and jammed, so i pulled it apart and filed the gear down to for a better fit. it worked the rest of the trip but then seized again. they are junk and never used that one again. my current sand rail runs on e85 so i just don't mess with the pumps. i take a 35 gal tank with me that has a frame rail mount electric pump off a truck, bosch 044 pump. they move a lot more fuel than a person would've thought.

Old 05-02-2021, 12:31 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
I can't get to that link either.

As near as I can tell, I need to rebuild the pump. The new nozzle has been installed and nothing comes out. I have the old PBL Industries model FP12. It sounds like Graco bought out PBL. The part number for the gear kit is Graco 260277. But there are a number of complaints that the gasket in the Graco kit isn't the right size.

My pump is oriented in such a way that I can't get to the gear end of the pump. It's up against the frame of the trailer. It's looking like I'll have to dismount the pump to get to the end where the gears are.