1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Wicked shske

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 07:58 PM
PA_Echo350
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wicked shske

I recent put on rotors, pads, bearings and a passenger side caliper. (Drivers side was done 5k). Along with a steering stabilizer.

I now get a nasty shske upon braking. Harder you brake, less it is. Not in the pedal but in the steering wheel.

Any ideas as to why?

It didn't do this prior to the work.

09 e350 super duty dually

Last edited by PA_Echo350; 05-18-2016 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Missing info
Old 05-19-2016, 06:00 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner

Received 1,412 Likes on 1,113 Posts
Raise the front end off the ground, remove the wheels and spin the rotors to check for extreme run out. Its possible even with new properly installed rotors they can be slightly warped from the factory.

Because it lessens with more braking force this sounds exactly like warped rotors.

Also while your wheels are off double check all newly installed brake parts---could be something amiss there.

Old 05-19-2016, 06:06 AM
jimandnena
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PA_Echo350
I recent put on rotors, pads, bearings and a passenger side caliper. (Drivers side was done 5k). Along with a steering stabilizer.

I now get a nasty shske upon braking. Harder you brake, less it is. Not in the pedal but in the steering wheel.

Any ideas as to why?

Hi PA,
I had a stuck passenger side caliper that did just this. Overheated the rotor to the point of glowing. I found a shim on the back of the inboard pad had fallen out of place and jammed the piston in the caliper.

Could be that the left side caliper being old and the right side new is enough imbalance to cause the shake. Hard braking would reduce that imbalance.

Additionally, recheck the spindle nut torque on both sides, that is quick and if not equal, could cause enough load on light braking for a shake.
jim

Old 05-19-2016, 06:33 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner

Received 1,412 Likes on 1,113 Posts
Along with Jim's thoughts maybe also check the wheel bearing condtion, at minimum make sure they're packed full of the correct grease.

BTW this is a 2 WD correct, not 4X4?

Old 05-19-2016, 06:41 AM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Any ideas as to why?

How recently? Maybe you didn't bed the pads properly.

Old 05-19-2016, 07:55 AM
PA_Echo350
New User
Correct. 2wd. New bearings. I packed them with Mobil one synthetic grease utilizing a bearing packer.

How would I seat the pads? I installed them using new clips and a bit of synthetic grease.

Old 05-19-2016, 07:57 AM
PA_Echo350
New User
Originally Posted by jimandnena
Hi PA,
I had a stuck passenger side caliper that did just this. Overheated the rotor to the point of glowing. I found a shim on the back of the inboard pad had fallen out of place and jammed the piston in the caliper.

Could be that the left side caliper being old and the right side new is enough imbalance to cause the shake. Hard braking would reduce that imbalance.

Additionally, recheck the spindle nut torque on both sides, that is quick and if not equal, could cause enough load on light braking for a shake.
jim
Left side caliper only has about 10k on it. For whatever reason the last mechanic didn't replace them in pairs.

Old 05-19-2016, 08:44 AM
jimandnena
Elder User
Left side caliper only has about 10k on it. For whatever reason the last mechanic didn't replace them in pairs.
This was the inboard pad, passenger side that hung up on me. The brakes had thousands of miles on them, it appeared that the shim popped loose at some point and was waiting for a chance to cause the piston to jam in the caliper bore. I was backing up in a parking lot and jammed on the brakes to avoid JoeBagofDonuts racing through the lot behind me. Once I got moving forward on the street, the steering wheel started a shimmy and vibration. Drove slow getting home, ~5 miles, stopping a couple times.

The first, easiest thing to check is spindle nut torque, if the new bearings were not seated properly, excess movement of the rotor will cause your symptoms.
jim

Passenger side, inboard pad, jammed piston.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:14 AM
PA_Echo350
New User
This was the inboard pad, passenger side that hung up on me. The brakes had thousands of miles on them, it appeared that the shim popped loose at some point and was waiting for a chance to cause the piston to jam in the caliper bore. I was backing up in a parking lot and jammed on the brakes to avoid JoeBagofDonuts racing through the lot behind me. Once I got moving forward on the street, the steering wheel started a shimmy and vibration. Drove slow getting home, ~5 miles, stopping a couple times.

The first, easiest thing to check is spindle nut torque, if the new bearings were not seated properly, excess movement of the rotor will cause your symptoms.
jim

Passenger side, inboard pad, jammed piston.
What should the torque be on the nut?

Old 05-19-2016, 03:31 PM
jimandnena
Elder User
DO NOT USE! MY MISTAKE.

What should the torque be on the nut?
This is a fairly common procedure:
http://www.dtcomponents.com/files/vol1no5.pdf

Covers most nut sizes and spindle threads.

Last edited by jimandnena; 05-20-2016 at 07:54 AM. Reason: wrong link, improper info for E vans.
Old 05-19-2016, 04:51 PM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Correct. 2wd. New bearings. I packed them with Mobil one synthetic grease utilizing a bearing packer.

How would I seat the pads? I installed them using new clips and a bit of synthetic grease.
How much time and how many miles since you installed the new parts?

Bedding the pads is the process of getting them "mated" to the rotor for the first few hundred miles. I went overboard with bedding mine, being careful to never come to a complete stop; and following the instructions closely.

What brand of parts did you buy? Standard stuff? I performance?

Old 05-19-2016, 06:33 PM
PA_Echo350
New User
This is a fairly common procedure:
http://www.dtcomponents.com/files/vol1no5.pdf

Covers most nut sizes and spindle threads.
Am I reading this correctly 200ft/lbs?

Old 05-19-2016, 06:34 PM
PA_Echo350
New User
Originally Posted by Im50fast
How much time and how many miles since you installed the new parts?

Bedding the pads is the process of getting them "mated" to the rotor for the first few hundred miles. I went overboard with bedding mine, being careful to never come to a complete stop; and following the instructions closely.

What brand of parts did you buy? Standard stuff? I performance?
Less than 20. I took it for a nice long ride make some varied stops. 60-40 ect. Just standard pads and rotors.

Old 05-19-2016, 07:44 PM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Am I reading this correctly 200ft/lbs?
No!
Definitely not 200lbfts

That instruction above is not for use on E series vans.

It is clearly labeled "heavy duty " trucks and even has a picture of a tractor truck on it.

Also if you read the directions it refers to spindles which have two nuts, or the type with a jam nut. E series vans have neither.

No offense jimandnena but that info is absolutely all wrong for use on this forum.

I personally set wheel bearings by "feel" but it's too hard to type on iPhone screen.

WHATEVER YOU DO, don't torque to 200ftlbs!!

Old 05-19-2016, 07:50 PM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Less than 20. I took it for a nice long ride make some varied stops. 60-40 ect. Just standard pads and rotors.
Break in the pads as follows:

5 moderate to aggressive stops from 40 mph down to 10 mph in rapid succession without letting the brakes cool and do not come to a complete stop. If you're forced to stop, either shift into neutral or give room in front so you can allow the vehicle to roll slightly while waiting for the light. The rotors will be very hot and holding down the brake pedal will allow the pad to create an imprint on the rotor. This is where the judder can originate from.
Then do 5 mod*erate stops from 35 mph to 5 mph in rapid succession without letting the brakes cool. You should expect to smell some resin as the brakes get hot.
After this is complete, drive around for as long as possible without excessively heating the brakes and without coming to a complete stop (Try for about 5 minutes at moderate speed). This is the cooling stage. It allows the heated resin in the brake pads to cool and cure.
After the brakes have cooled to standard operating temperature, you may use the brakes normally.

Quick Reply: Wicked shske