6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Driveway 6.0 bulletproofing. List check.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 03:21 PM
herojeep
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

I realize there is a very slow-moving current with this thread. Trying to do it myself demands a lot of time which with five kids and a great wife is hard to come by. Also, tight purse strings have required me to do a lot of deal searching and junkyard trips. I appreciate all those who have contributed encouragement, ideas, diagrams, resources, and expertise.

I thought after my last attempt I likely killed the beast. I was prepared for some more significant costs and work needed beyond my abilities or resources. My wife made a cake for a church event and took off for the afternoon. I thought with some free time, why not go play with the sleeping dragon.

Last time I worked on repining some broken plugs. This led to the spark, possible fried PCM, and a no start. It was suggested to go back over the things I worked on including the addition of the hour meter.

I checked the wiring pinout of each and all the connectors again. All the wires are in the right spots. However, on the glow plug harness under the power steering reservoir, I found a couple wires were loose in the harness. So, I pulled them a part to check them out.

Once I got them apart I found a couple of the retaining plastic tabs had broken which allowed the wires to back out of the plug when the two halves were pushed together. I had a couple extras from picking them up at the junkyard just in case there was a problem with them. So, repined them again. My 4-year-old even helped pull the wires out of the junkyard plugs.

And now all installed again.

With redoing those plugs and the PCM plugs, that should have taken care of all the bad plugs. I never even realized until now, the PCM plugs were not only broken and corroded, but the red retention clips were missing. All good now and being held tight to the PCM.

The only other thing I had power to do was hook up my AutoEnginuity (AE) and check for communication to the PCM, voltage, reference voltage, FICM voltage, glow plug system, injector pressure, etc... everything I could think of that might still have or present a problem.

I checked every system multiple times before trying to start. This is what I was getting.

It seems there was nothing else left to do then try and start it. I noticed the voltage was low from sitting so I hooked the jumper cables up to my Expedition (which I am happy to say my tranny rebuild has held up and working fine!!!)

It FIRED UP!!! This can't be my luck. I am confused. Last week I am successful in rebuilding my transmission on the fifth try (that’s another story). This week I am successful in getting the Ex started??? And to top it off, the Baro and Map codes have not reappeared!!! I'm a little bit in a daze. Last night I was in bed staring at the ceiling thinking it's possible I won't be driving this thing until after two years of owning it. And now, I don't even know where to go for a drive.

Old 09-09-2017, 04:07 PM
T diesel
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
HOORAY!!!!!

Old 09-09-2017, 04:37 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
And I have family that does not get why I hang on to the little bits from
any harness I toss out. The plugs are sometime worth there weight in gold.

Makes you feel good to have it running.

Old 09-26-2017, 01:52 AM
1Fordnatic
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well.....she still runnin?

Old 09-26-2017, 02:20 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 144 Likes on 103 Posts
Don't remember this post but great. Glad to here it's working for you.

Old 10-02-2017, 11:55 PM
herojeep
Senior User
Originally Posted by 1Fordnatic
Well.....she still runnin?
It is still running. It was still stumbling just a little bit on the starting but I think it was mostly related to the batteries being low. I've been starting it every few days and starting fine. I have yet to take it for a drive. Life's been busy and sickness came knocking. Plus I have been working on installing the ovehead dvd to get the headliner put back in, installing my mud flaps, wiring rear lights, backup camera, rear clearance lights, brake warning flasher, rear tri-color (european rear amber), etc.

Old 10-03-2017, 12:25 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Quick call the cops there is a body under your ride
and I bet it is up to NO GOOD.

Old 10-21-2017, 07:00 PM
herojeep
Senior User
Been trying to get a few interior things done before hitting the road. I had the whole interior out at one point and lately just had the headliner and all plastics out. Finally took today to put it all back together. Hit the road with the wife to try and get an alignment. I had one before but since replaced a wheel bearing and tie rod. The shop said i was to big and referred me to a semi truck shop that's already closed. Drive wise i think that's the last item. Ran strong and all my numbers on the monitor were good.

Old 10-21-2017, 08:37 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
I see you moved the body from under your ride.

Do you have the heated seats?
Any photos of the floor with the carpet out
around where the drive seat would be?

I know you don't have the F-series but was
wanted to see if you have some photos of
the harness and the crossover.

Old 10-22-2017, 07:57 AM
Per4mance
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
Man, that thing is a beast! Glad you got it running.

Old 10-22-2017, 09:29 PM
herojeep
Senior User
Originally Posted by Yahiko
I see you moved the body from under your ride.

Do you have the heated seats?
Any photos of the floor with the carpet out
around where the drive seat would be?

I know you don't have the F-series but was
wanted to see if you have some photos of
the harness and the crossover.
Yes I have the heated seats. This is the closest picture I have of that area.

Old 10-23-2017, 03:47 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Thanks

That gives me an idea of where the harness channel might be.

I want to move the heated seats from the one truck to the other.
But it looks like I also have to change the harness for the power I need.

Old 04-13-2018, 08:24 PM
herojeep
Senior User
So check out this little nugget. It's a year later and still not drivable. Been trying to smog it and p0107 is back and won't clear out. Comes back immediately everytime I clear it. Also, my deltas when running my SCT street tune is 18-24, stock no tune is 14-18. Probaby have to do another oil cooler replacement as well.

DAMM P0107

Old 04-13-2018, 09:06 PM
Tideman
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Try this.

Old 04-14-2018, 12:26 AM
herojeep
Senior User
Did all of that a year ago and could never find anything wrong. It just magically cleared on its own. I have replaced the MAP hose again, new baro sensor, new EBP pigtail. Tomorrow I'll be doing the pinnout tests again.

Quick Reply: Driveway 6.0 bulletproofing. List check.