Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Chip Problem/question.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2003, 11:52 PM
Scortty 45
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Chip Problem/question.

I've owned a 2000 f350 powerstroke Lariat for about a month now. It came with a chip, exhaust system, K&N air ect. but I'm not sure what kind of chip it is. The truck ran great for a few weeks but then one day I turned the key on and noticed the, "wait to start" light didn't come on and when I attempted to start the truck it wouldn't start. I called the person I bought the truck from and he suggested I pull the chip and see if it would start and it did. It also lost all power going down the road one day. Shut it down then a few minutes later it started up. I pulled the chip a few days ago and it hasn't missed a lick since suggesting there's a problem with the chip but it runs like a pig now. Anyone ever had this problem? And is there anyway I can have a diognostics done on this chip to see if there's a problem? The previous owner said it cost him $600.00 and I really can't afford to get another very soon although the Western Diesel shift on the fly chip seems very slick. Anyone had any experience with it?

Old 08-15-2003, 12:08 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Chip Problem/question.

Take the chip out (with batteries disconnected) and clean the connector with a soft cloth dampened with ammonia. This will remove any surface corrosion. Re-install the chip (with batteries disconnected) and secure it with duct tape.

If this doesn't solve it the chip may have gone bad (rare). What does the chip look like? $600? He paid too much!

Old 08-15-2003, 08:56 AM
Scortty 45
New User
Chip Problem/question.

Thanks for the reply Ken. I actually did remove the chip except I didn't disconnect the batteries. I cleaned the terinals with a electronic safe contact cleaner but it didn't solve the problem. I'll have to send another e-mail to tell you what is written on the chip. There is no name brand on the chip just some numbers and letters scribed on the gold colored metal case, (not stamped numbers/letters). He had the chip put in just after he bought the truck in 2000, (bought it new). Maybe these chips we're that expensive back in 2000 I don't know. What do you think of the Western Diesel Chip, (on the fly chip), any opinion or comments?

Old 08-15-2003, 12:27 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Chip Problem/question.

If you didn't have the keys in the ignition when you pulled the chip then it should be fine. If you did have them in, there's alway a small chance the chip blew.

Gold Metal case? Sounds like a clone Superchips module. We can test those to tell you if its okay. We carry the Diablo Sport switch chips here: http://www.motorhaven.com/customer/home.php?cat=8

Old 08-15-2003, 12:45 PM
Scortty 45
New User
Chip Problem/question.

Ken:
I did have the keys in the ignition but obviously the ignition wasn't turned on when I pulled the chip. If I put the chip back in it does in fact still work just has the intermittent problem I spoke of. If the chip were in fact blown it wouldn't work at all would it? Am I to understand that the chip you suspect is a Superchip? Do they just hand scribe some numbers on them instead of a stamped number or factory tag of some sort?
Thanks!