6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

15000 mile service " up selling?" 6.2

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 08:18 PM
Ron94150
Postmaster
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom N OH
And you think a dealer that does things like this doesn't have an extra grubby cabin air filter handily under the counter for just this sort of thing? I would definitely find a different dealer. The super duty has an engine air filter restriction indicator, mine has 43k on the original filter & the indicator hasn't moved a bit yet. I sure as hell wouldn't pay them to do it.
What I was trying to say is show me the cabin air filter on the truck. Yes, I think the idiot at the counter is trying to up sell him. I sure as hell wouldn't pay them to change an air filter either, in fact, I've never paid someone to change an air filter. Up until the last couple years, I've never paid anyone to change my oil. But with a constant flow of coupons for a 29.99 works oil change at the ford fast lane dealer, and the service going on record with the vin#s, it's a good deal. I still pop the hood and check my oil before pulling out. I have also marked tires to insure they actually did the rotation.

Old 05-13-2016, 09:48 AM
Duwop
Mountain Pass
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I have an established relationship with the service writer at the local Ford dealership which is not where I purchased my SD. Until recently I had been doing most all of my service items myself but with the new truck I've been letting the selling dealer do those out of loyalty and conveniences. He has honestly serviced and repaired the needs of 5 of my vehicles for 7 years and the dealership he writes for has serviced them for 15+ years.

I went to see him this morning because of the respondents of this thread. Without giving him any back story, I just asked if he had time to fit me in to do the 15k service that's due and what would it approximately cost. He said around 47 bucks would cover oil change, tire rotation, fluid top off and multipoint inspection. I referred to OM as to grease drive line items and such all included if needed. They would also accept the Works coupon based on all the info I've gathered this is honest and fair. I shouldn't be surprised as I've always thought of my experiences with this dealerships service department.

The dealership that sold me the truck made what I thought was a fair deal when buying truck. To bad for them being the volume seller in the area they haven't learned to practice the same for their service department. I'm no idiot either I never really bought into his whole of spending a few hundred bucks for what really amounts to a regular service to help protect the warranty status which I bought online because they wanted quite a bit more than I paid online. This wasn't my first trip around a dealership.
Moral of the story trust your gut and reach out in the forums. Thanks to all who participated in this thread......... And now you know the rest of the story..Paul Harvey(Radio Host)

Old 05-13-2016, 03:04 PM
defekticon
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Duwop
. I'm no idiot either I never really bought into his whole of spending a few hundred bucks for what really amounts to a regular service to help protect the warranty status which I bought online because they wanted quite a bit more than I paid online. This wasn't my first trip around a dealership.
Ford cannot deny your warranty claim for not having maintenance intervals done at a dealer. As long as maintenance is done. Magnusson-Moss act if you have any questions regarding that.

Obviously if there are indicators of abuse or lack of maintenance, then that's on you, but being required to only allow the dealer to do that work is fraud. I have always done and will always do all maintenance on my trucks possible because I know it's done right, and I enjoy turning wrenches for a hobby. I can't tell you how many times I've had an alignment done and found loose jam nuts on rod ends. Doesn't matter if it's from a dealer or an independent shop, people make mistakes/get lazy. Where as I know if I make a mistake it's ME or my family that pays the price, not some liability insurance policy.

I fully recognize not everyone can do that, but I'll trust myself before a dealer mechanic. In some situations where I lack the proper tools or funds/time (lifts/special tools) I don't have a choice but to take it to an expert or a dealership warranty.