6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

15000 mile service " up selling?" 6.2

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 05:30 PM
Duwop
Mountain Pass
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
15000 mile service " up selling?" 6.2

I called dealer to schedule 15000 service he is saying for our area that I should also change cabin air filter, air filter and a fuel treatment in addition to manufacturers requirements. I told him these additional item aren't mentioned until later in service cycles. He claims they are dealer recommended for our area / region which will help if there are warranty claims in the future.

This will cost a few hundred dollars and that's not an issue as much as I think they are just up selling. I'm looking for info as to what your experiences and costs have been at this interval.

Old 05-11-2016, 06:50 PM
WyoBull
Laughing Gas
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
I think that is an upsell, especially on the cabinet air filter. Unless you drive on dirt roads all the time using your truck as a ranch vehicle, I don't see the point.

Old 05-11-2016, 07:09 PM
Snowbirds11b
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The technical advisor who answear you is not honest, he only thinking about is bonus on retail. I spend my life working for Ford in a few dealers and I know these kinds of guys, some are honest but some are not.

Old 05-11-2016, 07:39 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts
At 15,000 I did a tire rotation, oil change & filter change. I was told everything else look good. I'm coming up on 30,000 miles now. Last oil change they told me I'll probably need a new engine air filter next time I come in.

Old 05-11-2016, 07:46 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I wouldn't buy it. Order a couple air filters to keep on hand from a place like Rockauto and change it yourself. Buy some Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner and run a tank of it through the truck. Paper air filters I change at least every 10k miles. I did not know that the Super Duty even had a cabin air filter. For years they didn't have a cabin filter on the super dutys, if they added one that is news to me. Even still I'd be changing the cabin filter myself, even though it is likely fine with only 15k miles on the truck.

Old 05-11-2016, 07:50 PM
Hammer40330
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dkf
I wouldn't buy it. Order a couple air filters to keep on hand from a place like Rockauto and change it yourself. Buy some Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner and run a tank of it through the truck. Paper air filters I change at least every 10k miles. I did not know that the Super Duty even had a cabin air filter. For years they didn't have a cabin filter on the super dutys, if they added one that is news to me. Even still I'd be changing the cabin filter myself, even though it is likely fine with only 15k miles on the truck.
Where is cabin filter located?

Old 05-11-2016, 10:04 PM
RainDesert
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Hammer40330
I have never heard of one, neither had anyone in this old thread:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ir-filter.html
Assuming there is not one, that service dept is a joke. Sadly this is more common today then ever.
I found several references to climate controlled "heated and cooled" seat filter located under the seats. This is not a cabin filter however. My manual says service every 30k if equipped so maybe that is what they refer too.

Old 05-11-2016, 10:19 PM
RainDesert
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Hammer40330
Found this on Rock Auto, it is the seat filter:
2016 FORD F-250 SUPER DUTY 6.2L V8 Climate Control Seat Filter | RockAuto

Old 05-11-2016, 10:24 PM
RainDesert
Cargo Master
And it looks like the new '17 SD may have one since the 2015+ F150 does:

Old 05-12-2016, 06:09 AM
Duwop
Mountain Pass
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
So far can't find a cabin air filter searching motorcraft parts data base but there is a filter for the heated and cooled seats. I will continue to do due diligence on this matter my appointment is a few days out. Thanks for your comments and help.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:02 AM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts
Just took mine in for a oil change just short of 30K, they changed the oil and filter and looked it over according to the sheet they gave me and nothing else was said. I bought a couple of Motocraft filters from Rock Auto so I check the filter and change it before I bring it in if needed. I also never put any additive in the gas just E10 and let it rip.

Find another dealer I like the Quick Lanes because you get service with no BS.

Denny

Old 05-12-2016, 07:45 AM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
My manual says to replace the cabin air filter "if equipped" - it's not equipped.
The manual also specifically states that you shouldn't use any additives in your engine. Just buy quality fuel (preferably top tier) and you'll be fine.
I'm on the "find a different dealer" bandwagon.

Old 05-12-2016, 11:32 AM
Ron94150
Postmaster
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
What gets me is he says it will help with warranty claims. If your doing everything by the manual with a stock truck, how could they void your warranty?

On the flip side, if it says no additives in the manual, and you use some in the fuel, and you have a fuel problem, then I could see a warranty issue.

I would also ask him to show me the cabin air filter. I would talk to someone above him, a lot of times, the owner or someone high up, actually cares about customer service, and will do something about your problem. But sometimes they don't seem to care either.

Old 05-12-2016, 11:39 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Well for years the Motorcraft fuel injector cleaner you could buy was Chevron Techron rebranded. I don't see how using an good fuel injector cleaner as directed on the bottle from time to time is going to hurt. I think maybe the people writing some of these manuals may need to get out of the office and do more work on trucks.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:32 PM
Tom N OH
More Turbo
Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Ron94150
What gets me is he says it will help with warranty claims. If your doing everything by the manual with a stock truck, how could they void your warranty?

On the flip side, if it says no additives in the manual, and you use some in the fuel, and you have a fuel problem, then I could see a warranty issue.

I would also ask him to show me the cabin air filter. I would talk to someone above him, a lot of times, the owner or someone high up, actually cares about customer service, and will do something about your problem. But sometimes they don't seem to care either.
And you think a dealer that does things like this doesn't have an extra grubby cabin air filter handily under the counter for just this sort of thing? I would definitely find a different dealer. The super duty has an engine air filter restriction indicator, mine has 43k on the original filter & the indicator hasn't moved a bit yet. I sure as hell wouldn't pay them to do it.

Quick Reply: 15000 mile service " up selling?" 6.2