SYNC 3 radio just stops working?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 06:49 PM
JWUC
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SYNC 3 radio just stops working?

Hola All,
New poster here despite lurking for a while..
Just took the plunge on a 16 Platinum F150 last week. I wish I could say I'm in a joyous bliss right now, but I had to take it back after about 4 hours having it.

so, I pressed the power button on the radio and now it won't come back on. No AM\FM, no bluetooth, no sirrus, no pandora, no voice-activated anything.. Even the "master reset" didn't fix it. When I took it back to the dealer, they unhooked the battery for 5 min and everything came back just fine. "We've seen this once or twice, but no one has ever had it happen again".

Well, guess what. It happened again. Now, I definitely don't want to go unhooking my battery every 4 days on this bad boy. I'm taking it back to the dealer tomorrow to hopefully see if they can update or reinstall the SYNC software.

Has anyone heard of this happening? Better yet, does anyone know of a fix I can do in the cabin while driving?

Here's a pic, because everyone likes new trucks

Attached Images  
Old 05-08-2016, 07:21 PM
Larietpsd
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That's stync for you

Old 05-09-2016, 01:05 AM
onug
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
In the 6 weeks of my Sync 3, it's locked itself in the "off" setting twice. Won't respond to the buttons or touch screen. First time it reset find after a restart. I'll know tomorrow morning if it reset again. I've also had the system lock up twice and blast out my phone info after the an auto start and then the truck auto-shutting down when it times out. Had to add my phone back into the system both times. Annoying.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:22 AM
JWUC
New User
Looks like I was able to get in last night after playing with it. I started it when I didn't have any bluetooth device with me. Also grabbed a CD to see if I could force it into audio.

Both times it's happened I know that we were going through the dash menus and the SYNC menus, turned the radio off, then turned the truck off. (First time is when I was setting everything up, second time is when the family was playing with it).

Sorry, software test by trade and it's got me wondering at the steps....

Old 05-09-2016, 10:07 AM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 221 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by Larietpsd
That's stync for you
I would call it stync3.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:07 PM
onug
Postmaster
Originally Posted by JWUC
Sorry, software test by trade and it's got me wondering at the steps....
I've ranted about this as well. I'm not a software guy, but spend a lot of time in that environment within the aerospace arena. The Microsoft versions were nothing short of horrible. But there are a few bugs in this version that make you scream "How the frak was that not found during functional or system testing!?" I'm giving this V3 some time...it is still early in development. If Ford and BB can debug it and add a few features, it will be solid.

My favorite thus far: If you hook it up to your WiFi, it will auto download updates. But I've watched it "ping the world" looking for my home portal as I drive down the highway. That is a screaming security hole, so I turned the WiFi off. But when you do that, it deletes the WiFi profile. So if I want to auto download, I have to reconnect it manually to my home WiFi each time. WTF? Let me turn it off/on when I want and look for the authorized port...thanks Ford.

Old 05-10-2016, 06:39 AM
JWUC
New User
Originally Posted by onug
If you hook it up to your WiFi, it will auto download updates. But I've watched it "ping the world" looking for my home portal as I drive down the highway.
Oh crap. Time to turn Wifi Off.

Originally Posted by onug
it deletes the WiFi profile
Deferred defect. Will be evaluated for future update.
Feature is working as originally designed.
Customer Impact: Minimal. Customers aren't going to be disabling and re enabling their wifi

Old 05-10-2016, 07:38 PM
onug
Postmaster
Originally Posted by JWUC
Deferred defect. Will be evaluated for future update.
Feature is working as originally designed.
Customer Impact: Minimal. Customers aren't going to be disabling and re enabling their wifi
EXACTLY!!!

Old 05-11-2016, 10:37 AM
onug
Postmaster
Got locked out of Stync for a third time this morning. System seems to get an attitude adjustment after a restart. All the other buttons still work and the phone is connected via Bluetooth. Just the stereo takes a dump.

Need a system update stat.

Old 05-11-2016, 11:29 AM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
My vote is that your unit is broken. I'd ask for a replacement.

Old 05-11-2016, 03:52 PM
Kahdir
Freshman User
Originally Posted by GlueGuy
My vote is that your unit is broken. I'd ask for a replacement.
Agreed

Old 06-28-2016, 10:42 AM
Big-Red-Lariat
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
happened a few times on my 2011 sync; corrected it by removing fuse for a few minutes. It was particularly ornery after adding a new playlist to the USB memory stick.

Old 06-28-2016, 12:14 PM
JWUC
New User
Still happening

So, I dropped off at a Ford Dealer yesterday because this has been happening on and off since purchase of the truck. Sometimes the radio works, sometimes not.

-They performed a factory reset which I told them didn't work as I had tried it multiple times.

-I got in the truck, paired my phone then the radio would not turn on (no AM, no FM, no Bluetooth Audio, no Pandora). The radio would not turn on either through the touchscreen or the radio button. So, I turned around and had several people witness that the Audio would not turn on.

-The loaner truck they gave me also has the SYNC3 system on it. So far, my phone pairs with it and it seems ("seems" because I don't have actual measurements) to take less time to pair, I don't have 'buffering' delays in the audio when I first start the vehicle, and the radio hasn't failed. (I've only had it a day and my truck can go several days without issues)

- Problem is that the Technician can't reproduce the issue and the dealer is claiming they can't fix what seems fine to them.

-Does anyone know if the Ford F150 stores a history of error codes or does a tech have to get an error to reproduce in front of them?

Old 06-28-2016, 12:27 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Get a different dealer.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:13 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts
My radio has stopped working twice in the last week or so. First time the volume or touchscreen did not work. Didn't think about voice activation.

Second time it quit I tried the screen and volume ****, no dice so tried voice activate Sirius and everything began working, screen, **** etc.

Go figure.

Josh

Quick Reply: SYNC 3 radio just stops working?