Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Light flash on unlock

Old 05-06-2016, 08:44 AM
Jeff53
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Light flash on unlock

On my previous vehicle (2005 Avalanche), when I unlocked the doors, the tail lights and parking lights flashed to let me know that the signal was received and the doors were unlocked. I noticed that the Excursion doesn't do that. The lights flash on "lock" but not on "unlock". It's a nice feature to have, especially at night. Has anyone ever successfully gotten their Ex to do this? I've done a Google search and also searched here with no luck.

Old 05-06-2016, 08:50 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
sorry to be captain obvious but wouldn't you know that the signal to unlock was received by the the fact that the doors actually unlocked ?

Old 05-06-2016, 08:57 AM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
The running board lights light up whenever the door(s) are unlocked, do yours not do so? That'd be the first place I'd check.

Old 05-06-2016, 08:58 AM
Jeff53
Senior User
Yes you would

Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo
sorry to be captain obvious but wouldn't you know that the signal to unlock was received by the the fact that the doors actually unlocked ?
However, if you're walking up to the vehicle with your hands full and pull on the hatch handle or door handle without it opening, it's a pain to have to try and reach into your pocket again to hit the fob or unlock the hatch. Also, like I said, at night it's nice to know that it's actually unlocked before you get to the vehicle. The fob from my Excursion doesn't seem to have quite the same range as the one on my Avalanche did. It's a nice to have, just like it's nice to have them flash when locking so you know it's actually locked.

Old 05-06-2016, 09:06 AM
Jeff53
Senior User
No running boards

Originally Posted by Krazee Matt
The running board lights light up whenever the door(s) are unlocked, do yours not do so? That'd be the first place I'd check.
The previous owner took off the running boards and installed the Ford factory nerf bars. Also, I'm not sure this Ex would have had them since it was and XLT ordered for government use and I think the base model running boards didn't have lights.

Old 05-06-2016, 09:11 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
sounds like a fresh battery in your key fob may solve the problem.

Old 05-06-2016, 09:29 AM
Jeff53
Senior User
Not really

sounds like a fresh battery in your key fob may solve the problem.
The lights still won't flash.

Old 05-06-2016, 09:38 AM
carbon coupe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 199 Likes on 108 Posts
My dome lights go on when it unlocks via fob and if you hit the lock button twice, the horn will honk, once for good, two for something is ajar.

Old 05-06-2016, 09:45 AM
Jeff53
Senior User
Dome lights

Originally Posted by carbon coupe
My dome lights go on when it unlocks via fob and if you hit the lock button twice, the horn will honk, once for good, two for something is ajar.
I don't have a problem with the locking portion. It works as designed (the lights flash and horn beeps). The previous owner lived in Arizona until last year and put dark tint on the windows, making it difficult to see the dome lights go on, especially in daylight. As long as the tint looks good, I don't want to take it off. I'd just like to have the parking/tail lights flash when it's unlocked, like my Avalanche did. I'd also like to have all of the doors unlock when it's put into Park, like the Av, but that's another story.

Old 05-06-2016, 09:55 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Jeff53
The lights still won't flash.
obviously not, that would require a new computer program to be developed and installed into the vehicles GEM module . but a new battery may elimate 99% of the failed unlock attempts you are experiencing.

as an idea from the running board light info, I have seen people asking about adding running board lights and wiring. I don't know the answer but there may be wires in the XLT harness for the running boardlights if you want to do some sort of unlock light mod.

Old 05-06-2016, 09:57 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
doors unlock when in park is a option you program in via the ignition switch.
the process is in your owners manual.

Old 05-06-2016, 10:30 AM
Jeff53
Senior User
I looked at that

doors unlock when in park is a option you program in via the ignition switch.
the process is in your owners manual.
It seems to only allow for activating/deactivating the autolock feature.

Old 05-06-2016, 10:33 AM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Seeing as how yours is a base model, I don't think you're going to get anything short of the aforementioned dome lights coming on. You could easily add your own external lights (I ditched the running board lights and installed LED strips under each door), and just tap into the circuit for the dome lights to activate them.

Old 05-06-2016, 10:42 AM
Jeff53
Senior User
Kind of a base model

Originally Posted by Krazee Matt
Seeing as how yours is a base model, I don't think you're going to get anything short of the aforementioned dome lights coming on. You could easily add your own external lights (I ditched the running board lights and installed LED strips under each door), and just tap into the circuit for the dome lights to activate them.
I think it's really an XLT that was ordered with 40/20/40 bench seats for government use. It still has some features like leather steering wheel, full carpeting, keypad on the driver's door (although I think they all had that by 2004) and the autolock feature. The lights do flash when locked. It may well have had the lighted running boards when the previous owner got it, I don't know. I guess I could look under there and see if there's any left over wiring that I might be able to use.

Old 05-06-2016, 12:34 PM
Drunken_Unicorn
Posting Guru
My lights don't flash when unlocking, but the dome lights come on. Do your dome lights not come on when you remotely unlock the doors?

If your remote doesn't have good range a new battery will help, as mentioned.

Something I noticed is that the battery springs can be adjusted and cleaned to help make the remote function better. If it has any moisture in it it can cause a weak voltage and not unlock the doors at any kind of range.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Light flash on unlock