6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Slippery Slope - Cardinal 3850RL 5th wheel

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 08:50 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,199 Likes on 573 Posts
If you haven't even gotten a quote, I'd call them. Only play chicken after you tell them what you're willing to pay....

Old 05-05-2016, 08:51 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 924 Likes on 331 Posts
OK, thanks. I appreciate the words of wisdom guys.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:02 AM
dlibson
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Agree with Randy. You give them your price, then wait.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:23 AM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 4,005 Likes on 1,601 Posts
Hire Rodney as your agent.......

Think about it.........

Old 05-05-2016, 10:00 AM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
Google can be your friend here too. Look around for as many examples as you can for similar units with better prices. Get a price from some of the RV wholesalers.

On our last RV, the dealer got help from the factory to make the deal. We had several things to add on and the factory tossed those in for free and knocked a few thousand dollars off. The factory closed the deal for us.

Make sure you toss everything into the deal prior to putting your name on the contract. Extra air conditioners, remote control fantastic fans and covers, auto leveling, better mattress, bug screens. The dealer will often install things for free too. After you sign, the dealer is done giving you a deal on anything.

bruce....

Old 05-05-2016, 10:02 AM
System
Prolocutor
Originally Posted by Sailor_Roy
Hire Rodney as your agent.......

Think about it.........
My wife has often suggested I start a business offering professional research and shopping services...

Old 05-05-2016, 12:04 PM
djousma
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by my_crib_too
Google can be your friend here too. Look around for as many examples as you can for similar units with better prices. Get a price from some of the RV wholesalers.

On our last RV, the dealer got help from the factory to make the deal. We had several things to add on and the factory tossed those in for free and knocked a few thousand dollars off. The factory closed the deal for us.

Make sure you toss everything into the deal prior to putting your name on the contract. Extra air conditioners, remote control fantastic fans and covers, auto leveling, better mattress, bug screens. The dealer will often install things for free too. After you sign, the dealer is done giving you a deal on anything.

bruce....
Bruce, I've been doing that. Not many dealerships put the "best" prices on the internet without talking to someone first. I found a couple, and one in particular that is listed at 33% off, in California. RVWholesalers doesn't seem to have Cardinal, nor does the other large online dealer mentioned earlier in the thread.

I'll be doing as Rodney suggested, and coming up with my own number in that 35-37% off range, along with a number for my old trailer in trade, based on NADA.

Fact is, I want the best price possible, but not at the cost of not purchasing at all. Of course, that's where the patience comes in, which I'm not known to have a lot of.....

Old 05-05-2016, 12:18 PM
System
Prolocutor
The trade will likely be your biggest hang up Dave. I've never been able to get a good value on a RV trade and it will also murky the waters on the new price. If you can, sell it outright. On my last one the best trade price I could get was 23-26k from a couple of dealers. Sold it outright for 40... Cars seem to be much easier to trade than RV's. On a car I usually have to swallow a grand or two off what I'm expecting and I take it due to the tax credit and ease of the deal. Trading an RV is a different animal...

Old 05-05-2016, 12:34 PM
djousma
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
The trade will likely be your biggest hang up Dave. I've never been able to get a good value on a RV trade and it will also murky the waters on the new price. If you can, sell it outright. On my last one the best trade price I could get was 23-26k from a couple of dealers. Sold it outright for 40... Cars seem to be much easier to trade than RV's. On a car I usually have to swallow a grand or two off what I'm expecting and I take it due to the tax credit and ease of the deal. Trading an RV is a different animal...

The trade is not worth much, maybe 5K. NADA has low-end retail at 8K. Another dealer has already told me 5.5K as trade based NADA as well. It's pretty well used. Mechanically everything working, interior in great shape, no leaks, tires/brakes 4 years old. Externally its a typical aluminum sided trailer that has seen the sun for 12 years with cracking decals.

Old 05-05-2016, 12:38 PM
System
Prolocutor
Got it. That's a different story then. Keep us posted and have fun! The tough part will be over soon then you get to go camping and perhaps even more fun... ACCESSORIZING! We can help you spend all kinds of money there...

Old 05-05-2016, 12:49 PM
djousma
Cargo Master
I did contact the dealer this morning. Evidently the sales guy is waiting for the owner to return from a business trip to get the pricing info. He said I should get that today. My plan is to review that, make my counter-offer on both the rig, and trade-in, and then do as you guys have advised me, and see what happens.

Old 05-05-2016, 01:27 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,101 Likes on 2,226 Posts
I almost feel sorry for that salesman (with the all the input from the people here), but then I think about you inquiring about a Cardinal and him waiting DAYS to get back to you to tell you he is waiting until he talks to the owner. Totally fine and acceptable, but CALL YOU AND TELL YOU. It's not that hard. I hope you get a great deal.

Old 05-05-2016, 02:19 PM
djousma
Cargo Master
Yea, Andre, I was surprised too. Part of that could have been the tone that I set, intentionally. A little bit of the back story is that we stopped in there on a whim back in March(on my birthday no less). I told the guy we are just starting research for a purchase in 2017 to replace/upgrade our aging TT. Fast forward to this week, when I made the initial call to him again, I set the tone that we are testing the water to see if we can make something happen this year. So, he probably got the message that I'm not in a hurry, which is the tone I wanted to set.

Old 05-05-2016, 04:01 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,101 Likes on 2,226 Posts
Dave...I'm in sales and I can tell you that I rarely get upset customers from communicating with them. Had he called you and pressured you that one thing. In my opinion, he should have called you and at least told you it was going to be a few days. That's just me. I'm **** about customer service and a lot of industries and sales professionals used to be as well.

Old 05-05-2016, 04:06 PM
System
Prolocutor
I agree. I always kill my customers with communication and information. Even if I don't know something, I tell them as much and that I will be working on an answer. As a customer I desire lots of info and so when on the other end of the equation, I offer what I would appreciate as that customer.

Quick Reply: Slippery Slope - Cardinal 3850RL 5th wheel