Sponsored by:

Lifting your X. Don't do it.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2003, 09:47 AM
spartan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Lifting your X. Don't do it.

Thought I would share this story for anyone thinking about lifting their X.

I started with the lift project on my X in early 2000 before a designated kit existed for the truck. Started with Fabtech 5.5" front springs and 4" blocks in the rear. The ride immediately went to crap and driveline problems surfaced. Then I tried Superlift " Softride " 6" springs front and rear - still a bad ride and more driveshaft issues; angles and insufficient spline contact, etc.. Then I went back to the Fabtech 5.5" in front and matching springs in the rear - still pathetic - and driveshaft still too short which I got lengthened. To sum it up, I put alot of money and time into screwing up my X. Handled pretty good - sort of like a giant go-cart, but the ride was really harsh. I literally avoided driving as much as possible due to the bad ride. My friends and family commented on the poor ride quality etc.. Worse yet the ride was completely intolerable for off road terrain.

So I spent this past weekend taking off the Fabtech junk and installed an Edge 4.5" hanger kit with twin Bilsteins up front and singles in the rear. Ahhhh! Finally relief. The ride and handling are both oustanding. Fresh alignment; rebalanced all four BFG AT 35 X 12.5's and I'm in Xstacy. Call Ryan at Superduty Headquarters in Arizona and get yours today. No I don't work for Donahoe Racing or anything. They just finally got it right for the Superduty.

So for anybody thinking about lifting your X; do you want a show truck or a functional vehicle with a comfortable ride that still handles? I wasted bouku $$$$ and went through all kinds of bling bling to figure this out. I hope by posting this that I can save others the pain, frustration and the money. I considered V code springs up front with 285 / 75 tires and other options, but I wanted to keep my 35's and THE EDGE is the way to go. Kreg you are welcome to send me money for this endorsement if you would like.

Morale of the story: if you are thinking about lifting your Excursion or any other truck for that matter, test ride a few and decide if it's really worth the look to sacrifice your ride and ability to use yout truck for real off-roading.

Old 08-14-2003, 09:55 AM
greenpus
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you should have dumped the shocks that came with the fabtech and the superlift and went with Bilstiens. I believe superlift and fabtech use ranchos and they pretty much suck for ride quality

Old 08-14-2003, 04:51 PM
spartan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's basically impossible to dampen a spring pack that has no spring rate and next to nothing in the way of travel. If you put gas pressurized Bilsteins on you would lose what little travel you have to start with. The springs have to work before the shocks can.

FYI I did ditch the Fabtech shocks and tried some " quality " shocks. Wasted money on that too.