1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

FX4 has lowest capacity??

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2003, 09:25 AM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 391 Likes on 236 Posts
Unhappy FX4 has lowest capacity??

I took delivery of my new '03 today. But I got the FX4 package on it because the skid plates are nice to have...especially the ones on the T-case and fuel cell. Looking in the owner's manual, I see that the regular XLT S/C with the 4.0 will tow 5,600 lbs. There is a note at the bottom of the page that says this is decreased to 5,160 lbs. for the FX4. So I paid extra for a more "rugged" package, and it's capable of doing less work. What's up with that?

Old 08-14-2003, 09:55 AM
Momudder720
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 02 says the same thing, with an ever lower capacity for the manual tranny, to my surprise. It may be because of "special" off-road rear springs, possibly designed to be more supple to give better articulation. Just a speculation...

Old 08-14-2003, 10:44 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

WX, congratulations on the new Ranger! I'm jealous already

Remember that most tow ratings are based on TOTAL weight of the truck AND the trailer.

"GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating): Maximum combined
weight of towing vehicle (including passengers and cargo) and the
trailer. The GCWR indicates the maximum loaded weight that the
vehicle is allowed to tow."

So if your truck weighs a little bit more than most Rangers, then according to the way the tow rating is set, it will have to be hooked up to a lighter trailer in order to fall under the GCWR.

Could be that your new truck does indeed weigh more than the others.

Old 08-14-2003, 11:03 AM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 391 Likes on 236 Posts

Rockledge,

I'm sure the FX4 is a bit heavier because of the skid plates, but there is no way the skid plates weigh 440 lbs. Other than that, there are no other additional options I know of that could add to the weight. So I understand your explanation and it makes perfect sense...but there must be something else too that is responsible for a much lower towing capacity on these.

In any case, I rarely tow 5,000+ lbs. so it's not a huge deal to me. I just was surprised to see that. And I LOVE this new truck...and it's a good thing I do because I'll have to drive it for 15 years to justify the sticker price on it I have never owned a low mileage vehicle in my life, much less a new one so it's nice to have a warranty for a change!

Thanks for the help.

Old 08-14-2003, 04:27 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Does your manual say how much the truck weighs alone?

Old 08-14-2003, 06:33 PM
TheDuck
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a new 03 Ranger FX4 2 weeks ago this saturday and I love it too. Traded my 94 Ranger XLT 4x4 for it, it was a 4.0 5 speed and the new one is a automatic. I don't regret the trade but I do miss my old truck, she was a real looker and had more than proven herself offroad too. I think I will have this one for a very long time too, loved the rebates but it is still expensive. I'll find out how it pulls this weekend, gone to Tn to ride 4 wheelers with my brother. 3 quads and a trailer gave my old one a hard time in the mountains of east tennessee, I think this one will do a little better. My brothers drive a 4x4 F-250 powerstroke and a Z-71, I doubt I will be keeping up with them. I could have got a used Z-71 but I was raised on Ford trucks and in the end I just couldn't buy a Chevy.