Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Anyone here change their own oil?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 09:05 AM
Excelerater
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Frdtrkrul
The tranny fluid stuff now from what I've read is supposed to be "lifetime" or last 150,000 miles. That wouldn't stop me from dropping the pan on it and do a change and add new fluid and filter. But they want to reduce cost and make it less of a hassle for people who don't do any work to their vehicles or never take then in for basic maintenance.

The Ford dealers at least around myself use Motorcraft filters, not sure about the oil. But this has been my experience working on the handful of new vehicles people either bought or were brought into the shop I was at from Enterprise Rental, since our company is contracted by them to work on rentals. Nothing more than tires and oil so the trans guild and stuff at least to my knowledge is never touched and they probably dump the vehicles before then.

Lifetime ? No such thing,my tranny is going to be changed by me every 50K
Hyd oil technology has not changed much over the years,vehicle MFG is hoping for a
trade in at 4-5 years old...

These guys are about planned obsolescence,the fuel pump with just a sock filter
I would be shocked it it lasted past 100K and for me thats 4 years but when you go out
of town and wake up in the AM and your truck wont start and your 300 miles from home
because your fuel pump died.
I have no issue w Motorcraft filters or oil,I like it but prefer full synth not blend and
WIX filters are IMO better

Old 05-01-2016, 09:26 AM
Frdtrkrul
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Excelerater
Lifetime ? No such thing,my tranny is going to be changed by me every 50K
Hyd oil technology has not changed much over the years,vehicle MFG is hoping for a
trade in at 4-5 years old...

These guys are about planned obsolescence,the fuel pump with just a sock filter
I would be shocked it it lasted past 100K and for me thats 4 years but when you go out
of town and wake up in the AM and your truck wont start and your 300 miles from home
because your fuel pump died.
I have no issue w Motorcraft filters or oil,I like it but prefer full synth not blend and
WIX filters are IMO better
This is why I said "lifetime" in quotes because I know it breaks down over time lime any does. But a lot of vehicles do not have a dipstick for transmission oil anymore. Case in point the 2003 Mountaineer my girlfriend has doesn't have one. Jaguars do not have them, neither do some if not all CVTs. They all want to make them maintenance free for the life of the vehicle. I like some keep my vehicles until the wheels fall off. I still maintain my vehicles because I need then to go the distance. A lot now days only keep it a few years than trade it in. I like to get my money's worth. But it's those same people that don't have their vehicle serviced when it should be. Which is why there's a push for longer lasting transmission fluid and engine coolant.

Doesn't WIX make filters for the Motorcraft name anyway for Ford or is it a different company?

Old 05-01-2016, 03:25 PM
JKBrad
Received 819 Likes on 602 Posts
Ford and others have more than likely taken the transmission dipstick away in order to keep transmission repais down. It's shocking how many people can't read their manual and understand how to check the fluid. There were too many overfills, oil added instead of trans fluid etc. This keeps the ignorant owner's trans safe and save Ford from having to make a warranty repair or deny one due to owner error.

Old 05-01-2016, 06:58 PM
Excelerater
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by JKBrad
Ford and others have more than likely taken the transmission dipstick away in order to keep transmission repais down. It's shocking how many people can't read their manual and understand how to check the fluid. There. Were too many overfills, oil added instead of trans fluid etc. This keeps the ignorant owner's trans safe and save Ford from having to make a warranty repair or deny one due to owner error.

thats a good theory,they did it to save me from making a costly mistake ?

Old 05-02-2016, 12:08 AM
Frdtrkrul
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by JKBrad
Ford and others have more than likely taken the transmission dipstick away in order to keep transmission repais down. It's shocking how many people can't read their manual and understand how to check the fluid. There were too many overfills, oil added instead of trans fluid etc. This keeps the ignorant owner's trans safe and save Ford from having to make a warranty repair or deny one due to owner error.
People adding oil to the transmission are probably the same that added windshield washer fluid to the coolant reservoir.

Old 05-02-2016, 06:45 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 698 Likes on 452 Posts
It is extremely common for people to use the wrong transmission fluid thinking they are all universal. In fact, dumping Mercon V into your TorqShift transmission is about the fastest way to have it stop working.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:41 AM
Excelerater
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Frdtrkrul
People adding oil to the transmission are probably the same that added windshield washer fluid to the coolant reservoir.
LOL

Same folks who paid to have the muffler bearing replaced every 50K

Old 05-02-2016, 11:03 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 222 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by Excelerater
LOL

Same folks who paid to have the muffler bearing replaced every 50K
Geez. I've been having mine replaced every 25K!

Old 05-03-2016, 12:58 AM
JKBrad
Received 819 Likes on 602 Posts
I prefer to change my own blinker fluid as well.

Old 05-03-2016, 04:54 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,247 Likes on 820 Posts
This one ran it's course.