2014+ Transit 2014+ full size Ford Transit Van, Wagon, Cutaway and Chassis-Cab

Steering wheel and radio swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 11:03 PM
thinksnow
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Steering wheel and radio swap

We recently purchased a 2016 350XLT low roof. It didn't have some of the options we wanted as we had to buy from the limited stock that was available because of the two recalls. We have a radio with Sirius but no steering wheel controls. My wife really wanted steering wheel controls, at least volume control. I've been trying to find out if the wiring harness in van will hook up ot the steering wheel with controls if I buy one. I realize that I will probably have to go to a dealer to have the computer reprogrammed to recognize it.
I know it use to be the harness was there and it was a matter of what pins were used and what the computer is programmed to recognize. I would even consider buying an upgraded OEM radio and steering wheel but no one can steer me in the right direction. I went to the parts counter the other day and the guy was like a deer in the headlights when I presented this question to him. He pulled up the parts diagram and tried to figure it out to no avail. He called corp who told him something to the effect of they will only authorize the sale of what was originally in the vehicle from the factory. Why are they making this such a daunting task? Tell me the parts I need, iI will purchase and install them, and then pay a dealer to reprogram it. Does anyone have any insight on this?

Old 04-23-2016, 08:06 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
I thought your username looked similar on the Transit forum. I'm over there too, but I was able to buy mine even though it was recalled. Now if the damn thing would just start...

Anyway, I don't have any info, but I'm very interested in this as well. Looking at parts schematics, it doesn't look like the clock spring is any different. So I'm thinking that buying the right wheel(around $150) and the audio button panel(about $30) might be all you'd need. I have other priorities for my Transit at the moment, first of which is figuring this damn no-start condition out, and then probably a hitch. Very interested if you find any other info.

I use AutoNation Ford White Bear Lake | Parts & Accessories. They're about the cheapest online dealer I've seen, and their site shows actual part numbers.

Old 04-23-2016, 09:55 AM
thinksnow
Tuned
That no start is a gremlin that is frustrating, I hope for your sanity they find it soon.

Old 04-23-2016, 07:02 PM
thinksnow
Tuned
Well I just found out some news. My neighbor is a mechanic who often does custom work no one else will do. He said he did some interior mods for a friend of his on a 2015 150 transit. He said the van was pretty stripped out and hardly had any options, when he opened the walls and dash there were all kinds of unused plugs hanging out of the harness. So if this stands true for my 16 I should be able to plug in the steering wheel I want (provided I can find one) and then pay the ford dealer to program so the van recognizes it, fingers crossed ;-)

Old 04-23-2016, 07:05 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
That would be great! Let me know how it goes.