Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SB Cold Air Intake

Old 04-19-2016, 06:34 PM
Beedub109r
Senior User
Beedub109r is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Beedub109r is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
SB Cold Air Intake

I am a transfer from the classic threads. I was in older classics for a couple years with my 1977 F 250 4x4 Ranger. Now I purchased a 2016 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab.

I put this in today. I really liked the quality of the manufacturing and I will keep you all posted on the gains in fuel economy.

Old 04-19-2016, 06:40 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.
Bill - No offense here but a CAI on a Turbo Diesel with an after-cooler is just not going to get you anything other than more intake noise. NA Gassers are another matter..

Old 04-19-2016, 06:44 PM
Beedub109r
Senior User
Beedub109r is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Beedub109r is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Well, Thanks...

Now I know. If the dash computer is any sort of reliable, I seem to be getting a little better average on my MPGs.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:07 PM
hoseclamp
Senior User
hoseclamp has a great reputation on FTE.hoseclamp has a great reputation on FTE.hoseclamp has a great reputation on FTE.hoseclamp has a great reputation on FTE.hoseclamp has a great reputation on FTE.
I have the same, but with the dry disposable membrane and pre filter. I use it for capacity, very dusty here, you could use half a dozen stock disposable filters a year easy.

Old 04-20-2016, 06:39 AM
lynnmor
Senior User
lynnmor has a good reputation on FTE.lynnmor has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Big-Foot View Post
Bill - No offense here but a CAI on a Turbo Diesel with an after-cooler is just not going to get you anything other than more intake noise. NA Gassers are another matter..
Sure, it will get you something. A lighter wallet and plenty of dirt in the engine.

Old 04-20-2016, 07:17 AM
69cj
Post Fiend
69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.
With the HP/Torque wars between the big three, don't you think they would be doing the same if it helped without being detrimental to the engine which they have to warranty?

Old 04-20-2016, 08:04 AM
SavageNFS
Post Fiend
SavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputation
As one of the guys that has used similar products on a lot of different trucks, I'd thought I post my results:

You can hear slightly more turbo whistle (which is justification for many right there to be honest).

It looks great under the hood.

That's about it. I'm totally not knocking you at all because I'm in your club and have done the same mod multiple times. Just wanted to tell you that I have never had any increase of power or increased fuel economy from the install. Your results may vary from mine. Nice truck Bill!

Old 04-20-2016, 08:10 AM
hoseclamp
Senior User
hoseclamp has a great reputation on FTE.hoseclamp has a great reputation on FTE.hoseclamp has a great reputation on FTE.hoseclamp has a great reputation on FTE.hoseclamp has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
Sure, it will get you something. A lighter wallet and plenty of dirt in the engine.
The dirt comment is incorrect. Depends on choice of filter, not the intake.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:11 AM
UGA33
Post Fiend
UGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud of
I run the S&B. It cleans the engine bay up nice and for the money, it is a very quality intake. Running a bigger HP file, you need a CAI for airflow purposes. Enjoy it.

Old 04-20-2016, 11:32 AM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
SkiSmuggs has a good reputation on FTE.SkiSmuggs has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Beedub109r View Post
Now I know. If the dash computer is any sort of reliable, I seem to be getting a little better average on my MPGs.
I installed an aFe Pro5 drop-in and saw a 1 mpg improvement in fuel mileage, so I disagree on getting nothing out of them. The S&B seems to be very high quality.

Old 04-20-2016, 11:58 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by 69cj View Post
With the HP/Torque wars between the big three, don't you think they would be doing the same if it helped without being detrimental to the engine which they have to warranty?
X2....

Be realistic here..
Physics are -
Air is being sucked through a filter panel that may be warm air from under the hood.
The Air is compressed by the turbocharger which heats the air.
The Air is now routed to an aftercooler which reduces or increases the air temperature (depending on state of air charge - all air, whether idle air or turbocharged goes through the aftercooler. The aftercooler is a liquid cooling system which retains heat and transfers that heat. If the heat of the intake air is cooler than the aftercooler, then it is warmed up. Visa versa if the intake air is warmer than the aftercooler, that heat is transferred from the air to the aftercooler liquid.
Diesels need air to be HOT in the combustion chamber in order for the fuel charge to ignite when the injector sprays it into the chamber. The temperature of that air MUST be within the right parameters for the engine to run efficiently.
---
The filter panel supplied by Ford has far enough filtration capacity to present very little restriction when clean. This is where an aftermarket filter may benefit you "IF" it has greater filter capacity than the stock panel which would make it flow enough air in dirty conditions longer than the OEM filter..
---
What can happen to people when they spend money on a fix for fuel economy and power, is that they can experience a placebo effect. They can subconsciously alter their driving style to accomodate the anticipated gains in mileage and power.
The only way I will believe that these devices work is to see credible dynomometer reports by an independant third party which would duplicate precise conditions in all tests, taking the best of three tests from each method.
---
While I've never built a performance diesel, I have built inumerable gasser engines both for street and competition. I've seen and know the tricks that dyno operators can use to increase power beyond what would be reasonable.
---
Enjoy your new filter and the sound that may go with it.. Chart your fuel economy over a period of time in various conditions before and after such changes and you will see your real-world results.

Old 04-20-2016, 02:36 PM
smoky_diesel
Posting Guru
smoky_diesel is a splendid one to beholdsmoky_diesel is a splendid one to beholdsmoky_diesel is a splendid one to beholdsmoky_diesel is a splendid one to beholdsmoky_diesel is a splendid one to beholdsmoky_diesel is a splendid one to beholdsmoky_diesel is a splendid one to behold
Well lets see the 109R..

Old 04-20-2016, 03:32 PM
swarf_rat
Elder User
swarf_rat has a good reputation on FTE.swarf_rat has a good reputation on FTE.swarf_rat has a good reputation on FTE.
X2....

What can happen to people when they spend money on a fix for fuel economy and power, is that they can experience a placebo effect.
Yahhhh.

I put 7 things on my truck, each of which promises 20% increase in fuel economy. Trouble now is, I have to stop every couple hundred miles and drain the tank so it won't overflow. Power is so great I have to keep it in neutral or it exceeds the speed limit.

Old 04-20-2016, 03:35 PM
Postmaster
99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation
X2....

Be realistic here..
Physics are -
Air is being sucked through a filter panel that may be warm air from under the hood.
The Air is compressed by the turbocharger which heats the air.
The Air is now routed to an aftercooler which reduces or increases the air temperature (depending on state of air charge - all air, whether idle air or turbocharged goes through the aftercooler. The aftercooler is a liquid cooling system which retains heat and transfers that heat. If the heat of the intake air is cooler than the aftercooler, then it is warmed up. Visa versa if the intake air is warmer than the aftercooler, that heat is transferred from the air to the aftercooler liquid.
Diesels need air to be HOT in the combustion chamber in order for the fuel charge to ignite when the injector sprays it into the chamber. The temperature of that air MUST be within the right parameters for the engine to run efficiently.
---
The filter panel supplied by Ford has far enough filtration capacity to present very little restriction when clean. This is where an aftermarket filter may benefit you "IF" it has greater filter capacity than the stock panel which would make it flow enough air in dirty conditions longer than the OEM filter..
---
What can happen to people when they spend money on a fix for fuel economy and power, is that they can experience a placebo effect. They can subconsciously alter their driving style to accomodate the anticipated gains in mileage and power.
The only way I will believe that these devices work is to see credible dynomometer reports by an independant third party which would duplicate precise conditions in all tests, taking the best of three tests from each method.
---
While I've never built a performance diesel, I have built inumerable gasser engines both for street and competition. I've seen and know the tricks that dyno operators can use to increase power beyond what would be reasonable.
---
Enjoy your new filter and the sound that may go with it.. Chart your fuel economy over a period of time in various conditions before and after such changes and you will see your real-world results.
All this AND to put more air in, one wuold likely need a bigger turbo..........then to utilize the bigger turbo, one would probably need more fuel pump...........$$$$$$$$$$$$ The only real limitation would be the depth of ones pocket book!
But....not my circus and not my monkeys! I really like the fact that my nice 5er stays relatively clean, not all black down the side!

Old 04-21-2016, 12:44 PM
Beedub109r
Senior User
The 109R is long gone

The 109R is long gone, Been on a Street Glide for years now. I just kept the name.

Thanks for all the input on the CAI. I liked how it was good quality and provides better filtration than a stock dry filter. (I did actually read the specs on standard and particulate heavy operations.)

It cleaned up the engine bay and I have a habit of upgrading which, for some reason, frustrates my wife to no end.

So I will be heading back to the classic truck 73-79 trucks as there are far fewer ********* in that group.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SB Cold Air Intake

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: