Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carburetor suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 01:26 PM
Benchwarmers6
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So your trying to tell me I can buy everything put put a EFI windsor in a mustang cheaper than I can put a carburator on it? You conveniently left out the cost of upper and lower intake, fuel pump, Large bore throttle body and a larger MAF, having the MAF tuned for those 42lb injectors. And speaking of exactly where are you finding 42lb injectors for $80 for a full set? I cant even get stock replacements for that on ebay. And most people dont have the now how to tune on a laptop. I think you are being very un realistic thinking most people can tune their own computer with a laptop. I would venture a guess that very few people can do it. And your not going to convince me that you can buy all of the parts listed above as well as the sensors that are necessary for the price of a single carb and intake. Two parts is all I need to replace all of those and I can tune that carburetor without having to buy a laptop. There is no way on earth your going to convince me that its cheaper to go EFI. And your prices are a joke. My local pick a part isnt as cheap as what your listing for the MAF. But I guess I dont want to go fast. No one with carburetors goes fast I guess?

Remember I am not ditching EFI to go carbed, I am talking about taking a 2.3L out of a mustang and putting a windsor in it. I would need everything.

Old 04-15-2016, 01:56 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You are very misinformed about the state of modern EFI tuning.
Originally Posted by Benchwarmers6
You conveniently left out the cost of upper and lower intake, fuel pump
I made the assumption one would already starting with an EFI 302, since they're a dime-a-dozen. Even if you weren't, carb manifolds aren't exactly free either.
Large bore throttle body and a larger MAF. having the MAF tuned for those 42lb injectors
Not really needed until you get into the big power range. Explorer 65mm throttle bodies are basically free, and aftermarket throttle bodies can be had for as little as $120 new. I already counted the MAF in my post. A $25 ford drop-in slot MAF in a 4" tube will support all the power you could ever hope to make with a 5.0. You don't "tune a MAF for injectors" either. You tell the computer what size injectors you have, and then input the MAF transfer curve, which is either supplied with your MAF, or available freely from someone on the internet. If you don't have a MAF curve, it's relatively easy to make one.
And speaking of exactly where are you finding 42lb injectors for $80 for a full set? I cant even get stock replacements for that on ebay.
I was a little off by with $80 - you can get a set of 8 30-lb injectors for $80. 42 lb will set you back $100-$120. You could also get a set of 8 Deka 80 lb injectors for $340 that will support over 1000 RWHP.
And most people dont have the now how to tune on a laptop. I think you are being very un realistic thinking most people can tune their own computer with a laptop. I would venture a guess that very few people can do it.
...and very few people these days would know how to tune a carb either. The people that do have years of experience that made them able to tune them. Take literally 30 minutes to poke around TunerPro and you can be off and tuning.
Remember I am not ditching EFI to go carbed, I am talking about taking a 2.3L out of a mustang and putting a windsor in it. I would need everything.
Then grab a windsor from the junkyard with everything already on it? My local yard charges $120 for a complete engine.
And your prices are a joke. My local pick a part isnt as cheap as what your listing for the MAF
Ford Slot MAF: http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-FORD-MAS...BV3gKS&vxp=mtr

30 lb injectors: http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-BOSC...NVdmrg&vxp=mtr

Old 04-15-2016, 03:00 PM
Shadow944795
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Benchwarmers6
And I can tell you from experience that EFI engines will eat you out of house and home and cause my wife to get a lot more pissed at me than a carburated one and I enjoy being able to tune at the track having fun rather than having to take it to someone that has the ability to tweak the computer every time I want to do anything. A EFI engine that is tuned perfect and every sensor is working great is a beautiful thing, but for a budget minded hot rodder you will NEVER convince me that EFI is a better choice. I can put a carbd motor in a mustang for virtually nothing compared to the cost of EFI.
This I can agree with. I would rather swap around jets to get the mixture right after making a huge power mod on a toy than hours fighting weird issues with the EFI setup afterwards. Less BS less nonsense for a race car or something to just mess around with. Daily I would rather have the EFI though. I'm not used to getting up early to start a machine and warm it up.

Old 04-15-2016, 03:22 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Shadow944795
This I can agree with. I would rather swap around jets to get the mixture right after making a huge power mod on a toy than hours fighting weird issues with the EFI setup afterwards. Less BS less nonsense for a race car or something to just mess around with. Daily I would rather have the EFI though. I'm not used to getting up early to start a machine and warm it up.
Where does this nonsense of "fighting for hours" come from?

With a properly setup EFI tune, you can make huge power mods without needing to do anything at all. We ran my buddy's turbocharged 460 truck from 7 PSI to 18 PSI of boost on the same exact tune, and the air-fuel ratio stayed in check the entire time.

Old 04-15-2016, 05:28 PM
Shadow944795
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Lead Head
Where does this nonsense of "fighting for hours" come from?

With a properly setup EFI tune, you can make huge power mods without needing to do anything at all. We ran my buddy's turbocharged 460 truck from 7 PSI to 18 PSI of boost on the same exact tune, and the air-fuel ratio stayed in check the entire time.
I've fought the weird issues in the past thanks to bad wiring poor maintenance or my luck of a setup that was not done right from the get go. Random surging weird coughs and misses that could not be explained. To rich here to lean there or having to change a part fix this take all this back off. The dumb stuff the little things that you can chase for days and weeks to get everything perfect so you don't kill it going down the track or become the guy everyone hates because you dumped a gallon of coolant on the track.

Maybe its just my bad luck but EFI in my case has become a nightmare because of weird issues differences in the blocks and engines over the years and just flat out old nasty parts that are not up to the task anymore in stock usage let alone a 300 hp beast. I'm curious lead head. What did you use to tune that 460? I'm curious because I've hunted for tuning stuff in the past and never found anything good or simple to understand. Now Please don't get me wrong on any of this I do love EFI when it works right and these old fords have allot of give in their Setups for both power mods and odd issues and I love that, but I also hate the idea of trying to make raw power for just having a blast and at the same time drive a budget so high you might as well go take out a title loan on said vehicle to get it done.

I think what I am saying is I lean (ha ha lean) towards a carb more basically because you can put it on adjust some screws and start doing whatever you do with your ride and not have to worry down the road with a bigger fuel pump, different injectors, a different map than stock and then sit down and tune it to make it work if you went farther than the setup you have now could understand or handle. I mean the last thing I'd wanna do is go from E7's to AFR 185's for example and have to do all of that extra work to get it to even run right again. Where as say with a carb of the right cfm range you change the jets set the idle mixtures and a few other odds and ends and she is ready to go out again.