There are too darn many people camping

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 09:00 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
We have "blue boy" for dumping. We use it for our gray water and I have a spare pump with an adapter I made that fits on the end of our dump line. I leave the tank on the back of our truck and pump the gray water into the tank, then drive over to the dump station and dump it. Makes things easier as those dump tanks can be awkward to pull.

Steve

Old 04-14-2016, 10:17 PM
AKdave
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The other half and I own an RV park here in Alaska and run it seasonally (May-September). We're already at about 40% booked. Holidays and opening days of fishing season are booked at least a year, sometimes two years in advance. We run a destination park that is right at the mouth of one of the best road accessible king salmon and steelhead fisheries in the state. This year is going to be nuts with the fuel prices being so low. We're opening earlier and will be closing later to deal with the demand.

Old 04-15-2016, 07:06 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Something like "idyllic" comes to mind with that description!

Steve

Old 04-15-2016, 08:25 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
one of the first 5 things I purchased after buying the trailer ... is a Barker 32 gallon with 4 pneumatic tires, with wheel bearings that have grease fittings.

like already stated.. for Gray water only.
needed at Huntington Beach State and Edisto Beach State.

and Edisto Beach the Barker needed to go a little over 1 mile to the STATION.

Old 04-15-2016, 09:03 AM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
I wore out my last blue boy, and am in the market for a new one. The Barker seems to be the way to go.
I always feel funny pulling a tote over to the dump station. Don't know why, everybody else has to deal with it too. Just makes me feel like everybody is watching me...

Old 04-15-2016, 11:25 AM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
They are just waiting for a accident/spill. For entertainment

Old 04-15-2016, 01:03 PM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by bigredtruckmi
They are just waiting for a accident/spill. For entertainment

I wouldn't wish that sort of misfortune on anyone. Well, maybe my first wife...

Old 04-15-2016, 01:25 PM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
We generally go early, before the kids are out of school as well as after they go back. We are leaving Sunday and the first three CGs are $47/$42/$51 and our destination in a state CG in Arkansas is $22 for 2 nights and $32 the next two (weekend). All are W/E/S and 3 of the 4 are 50 amp. I recall being upset when a CG we spent a month at in Maine went up a whopping 50%, from $6 to $9/night - but that was ~1978

There is a fairly current thread on iRV2 which the class A folks are whimpering about a $479/night CG(?) plus $20/night add-ons for other things like a towed car (The most expensive RV park rate - iRV2 Forums). We have a seasonal for much of the summer just to get away and have a nice long weekend and it is really dirt cheap at ~$1300+ electric for mid May to second week in October

Old 04-15-2016, 06:12 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,853 Posts
What about options like Thousand Trails Elite membership where you pay an annual fee of around $500-$600 after buying into the program of your choice? Would this not open up a lot of options for you if you were full timing or camping a lot?

Old 04-15-2016, 08:43 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Received 200 Likes on 85 Posts
I spent about 400 miles on I81 today from Harrisburg Pa to Strasburg VA. Tons of campers on the road! Like a rolling RV show. I'll agree some places prices are just nuts, and some sites are just tiny. All my years (10+) we've camped only 1 weekend did we actually never leave the campground. So small sites aren't the end for me.

Is it wrong to use the tote for black water? If it is, I've never done it. Seriously. Or I have.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:48 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Ferguson65
I spent about 400 miles on I81 today from Harrisburg Pa to Strasburg VA. Tons of campers on the road! Like a rolling RV show. I'll agree some places prices are just nuts, and some sites are just tiny. All my years (10+) we've camped only 1 weekend did we actually never leave the campground. So small sites aren't the end for me.

Is it wrong to use the tote for black water? If it is, I've never done it. Seriously. Or I have.
It is whatever you want it to be. If you did it, it's right. If you didn't do it, it's right.

Steve

Old 04-15-2016, 09:39 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Received 200 Likes on 85 Posts
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
It is whatever you want it to be. If you did it, it's right. If you didn't do it, it's right.

Steve

Good to know Steve! Not something I wanted to do, but I didn't want to hook the trailer up halfway through the trip and drag it to the dump station either.....................

I did learn not to dump the Black tank into the blueboy while dinner is being served on the other side of the trailer though. Oops. Luckily my friends can take a (stinky) joke. Won't do that again!

Old 04-15-2016, 11:42 PM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Sous
What about options like Thousand Trails Elite membership where you pay an annual fee of around $500-$600 after buying into the program of your choice? Would this not open up a lot of options for you if you were full timing or camping a lot?
They are a lot like timeshares. They sound good on paper, but pretty restrictive in how you can swap around.

It is not. Generally speaking, grey tanks fill much faster than black. The two of us can go up to 5 days before worrying about black tank level, it only takes three to fill the 30 gallon grey tank.

Old 04-16-2016, 08:00 AM
jsm180
Fleet Mechanic
Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts

Nascar is at Bristol this weekend, 81 will be a mess.

Old 04-16-2016, 08:01 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
for us,,, 7 or 8 days for the black... and 3 for the gray....
between doing dishes and her doing her hair.. I am bald...

2 to 3 trips for the barker... and trailer as we depart campground....

No right or wrong... what works.

Quick Reply: There are too darn many people camping